Suggestion for Health and Fitness

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HoodedMonk said:
You're like Ted Cruz that bought bulk orders of his own book in order to inflate his sell numbers and get onto the NYT Best Selling list!

D:

All of the NYT Best Sellers do that though. :O

How to *help* Overcome Depression and Anxiety with Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs

[video=youtube]watch?v=Mgk2Ik1QYxU[/video]

I watch a lot of ASMR stuff an came across this a while back, could help some people.

Also a very pleasant voice to listen to; I suggest with headphones when trying to relax.

I became strangely aroused by her soft relaxing voice, is that supposed to happen?

I haven't read the whole thread here, but I would really suggest Zen and mindfulness practice along with exercise!

kamya said:
HoodedMonk said:
You're like Ted Cruz that bought bulk orders of his own book in order to inflate his sell numbers and get onto the NYT Best Selling list!

D:

All of the NYT Best Sellers do that though. :O

Your signature gif just made me laugh out loud, you owe me a new keyboard.

Thak you for the laughter :D

TheWalkingDead said:
I became strangely aroused by her soft relaxing voice, is that supposed to happen?

Lol I'm not sure about that. Just makes me want to fall asleep.

Link

Yes, Just 10 Minutes a Day Can Turn Your Life Around
A scientific secret to reduce stress, boost happiness and improve relationships

Posted Feb 04, 2016

Consider the following experiment (link in full page, linked above): Researchers asked employees of an outpatient family practice clinic—nurses, assistants, and receptionists—to complete an online “survey” at the end of each workday. They were unaware of the purpose of this exercise. The survey asked them to spend five to ten minutes writing about events that had gone “really well” that day and to explain why they believed they had gone so well.

The participants could write about anything—events large or small, personal or work-related. Responses ranged from a colleague bringing in delicious food to a thoughtful story of a meaningful interaction with a patient or co-worker. One nurse wrote (link in full page, linked above):

"A doctor gave me a compliment today because I knew exactly what to do in an emergency situation, and I helped a patient who was having a seizure."

In just three weeks, stress levels and mental and physical complaints declined in small but significant amounts. On the days they wrote about good things, the participants were better able to detach from work stress when they got home in the evening.

This simple practice—writing about three good things that happened—creates a real shift in what people think about, and can change how they perceive their work lives.

Moreover, it creates a positive feedback loop. People who reflect on good things that happened at the end of the day are more likely to share them with loved ones. This, in turn, bolsters social connections (link is external) which reduces stress (link is external) even more. Another positive by-product is improved sleep. A good night’s sleep leads to greater alertness and a better mood the following day. Noticing good things may even make you more creative. (link is external)Research shows positive emotions enhance creative thinking and innovation.

Focusing on positive events does not come naturally for most of us. Evolution has programmed us to notice negative events and anything that may be perceived as a threat. (link in full page, linked above) This made sense for our ancestors but no longer applies today.

As the above study highlights, just because your inclination may be to ruminate (link in full page, linked above) on the negative, it does not mean your fate is sealed. By intentionally noticing good things you can overcome the gravitational pull into thinking about what can or did go wrong.

Practicing this activity every day will provide you with strength and a positive outlook.

Start capitalizing on it today.

My husband buys me junk food.

I've asked him not to but he still turns up with chocolate, cake, white bread, salt-laden ready-meals and other stodge.

I may come across as ungrateful but in the interests of health and fitness I must refuse it.

As from *now* I'll be refusing his treats with a firm "thanks but no thanks!" and it will hopefully stay uneaten (by me at least) until he finally gets the message.

zibafu said:
my mum continously buys me candy even though i tell her not too, so annoying since my will power isnt strong enough to not eat those tasty things :p

Yes, it's so annoying isn't it!
They are bad, these enablers! :club:

Hi, I've not read all the posts, so please forgive me if I missed this.

I have no motivation when it comes to excercise...or anything else for that matter.....I've been a member of a gym for the past 2 years, (with a swimming pool - I can swim) and how many times have I been there...?
None.
Not one.
I can't even get myself out for walks....although I will get a dog when I retire...that might help then...but not now.....and I certainly don't want to rely on meeting up with other people to walk/swim...that idea freaks me out.....so if anyone can suggest anything.....please help!

Sorry to sound so negative, but thats the way it is.

Best wishes to all

Give yourself some kind of reward for every time that you complete a session of exercise....but NOT a self defeating reward like a huge serving of cake or something. But you have to be the one to figure out the reward and then want to do the exercise and then give yourself whatever goodie you've come up with.

Simplest and probably best thing you can ever do is make a scedule, don't do something whenever you have time for it because pretty soon you'll have time but won't be in the mood, so make a scedule, start out small maybe 2 or 3 half hour sets per week, and once your used to it slowly up it if time allows. Don't make a scedule in your head or make it too generic, state the day, starting time and duration, and put it to paper!

So once again, make a scedule and stick with it.

Starlightdawn said:

I have no motivation when it comes to excercise...or anything else for that matter.....I've been a member of a gym for the past 2 years, (with a swimming pool - I can swim) and how many times have I been there...?
None.
Not one.
I can't even get myself out for walks....although I will get a dog when I retire...that might help then...but not now.....and I certainly don't want to rely on meeting up with other people to walk/swim...that idea freaks me out.....so if anyone can suggest anything.....please help!

Best wishes to all

Maybe cardio isn't your thing....maybe exercising in public places also isn't your thing....do you watch tv or use the computer a lot? Because I have an idea for you that doesn't require a whole lot of moving.

You can set a time for every half hour or hour if you're using the computer, or if you watch television you can wait until every commercial break, or between each episode. SO...how do you feel about bicep curls, huh? Not a lot of motion there....and you can do it sitting without leaving your current spot. Plus there are a lot of household items that can replace a dumbbell (milk jug, water bottle(filled with water or with dirt for more weight) bag of rice, heavy pair of boots). Try doing 15-20 curls on one side, then switch to the other. If the item is too heavy for that many, then do less.

This is a relatively safe exercise, and does not commonly result in any kind of injuries.
I have a lot of other "desk/couch exercise" ideas but I typed so much already  I figured one was enough :)

You might discover that you prefer weightlifting to other styles of exercise. It can make a big impact on your body over time, without dedicating a ton of time to exercise. Plus, your heart rate will generally stay a lot lower than other forms of exercise, so you're less likely to "run out of breath" or feel exhausted afterwards.

Personally, I have vertigo, so weightlifting has been a hugely awesome discovery for me.
No more falling over and crashing into people while I try to do jumping jacks or burpees at the gym. Ain't NOBODY got time for all that jumping around, I will keep my feet FIRMLY PLANTED on the ground, thanks. :D

Better yet, do 80% of my workouts while sitting or lying down !

TrishTrash said:
Starlightdawn said:

None.
Not one.

Best wishes to all

Maybe cardio isn't your thing....maybe exercising in public places also isn't your thing....do you watch tv or use the computer a lot? Because I have an idea for you that doesn't require a whole lot of moving.

You can set a time for every half hour or hour if you're using the computer, or if you watch television you can wait until every commercial break, or between each episode. SO...how do you feel about bicep curls, huh? Not a lot of motion there....and you can do it sitting without leaving your current spot. Plus there are a lot of household items that can replace a dumbbell (milk jug, water bottle(filled with water or with dirt for more weight) bag of rice, heavy pair of boots). Try doing 15-20 curls on one side, then switch to the other. If the item is too heavy for that many, then do less.

This is a relatively safe exercise, and does not commonly result in any kind of injuries.
I have a lot of other "desk/couch exercise" ideas but I typed so much already  I figured one was enough :)

You might discover that you prefer weightlifting to other styles of exercise. It can make a big impact on your body over time, without dedicating a ton of time to exercise. Plus, your heart rate will generally stay a lot lower than other forms of exercise, so you're less likely to "run out of breath" or feel exhausted afterwards.

Personally, I have vertigo, so weightlifting has been a hugely awesome discovery for me.
No more falling over and crashing into people while I try to do jumping jacks or burpees at the gym. Ain't NOBODY got time for all that jumping around, I will keep my feet FIRMLY PLANTED on the ground, thanks. :D

Better yet, do 80% of my workouts while sitting or lying down !

Thanks for the ideas....but it's the motivation I lack...about 5 years ago I lost well over 2 stones, and went swimming and walking regularly....but I had a great motivation....he was 6'5" and, in my eyes, amazing! I lost the weight without any real effort because I was always high on adrenaline, if you get my drift.
Now, sadly, nothing to motivate me....I am a saddo I know...!! But thanks anyway...

Personally I think a lot of the health information that is out there right now is simply wrong. To the extent that exercise is good for you I believe it is due to an increase is oxygen that happens when you exercise. But you can achieve the same effects via breathing properly. One reason Yoga gives similar effects on your health though you don't work out hard.

I wrote myself a care plan: diet, nutrition, exercise and keeping a regular notebook on painkilling meds etc; time and date taken. Being borderline diabetic type 2 means a good bowl of porridge every morning though it's switched to toast every so often and weekends is usually egg and bacon.  I swim in our local 5* hotel as it has a lovely big indoor pool, use our home gym and try to walk an increasing distance every other day.

In the last 6 months I lost 50 pounds/22 kilos making my doctor happy. Rarely do I drink and I don't smoke, but I do reward myself with a nice gin & tonic or a Scotch at the end of the day. :)

i could do with some sort of regime tbh though although i dont work too many days a week its pretty physical and when i bodyboard obiously with fins ,i aint a tourist ,its a good 2 hour cardio.
i drink too much wine and that makes me nibble on savoury snacks ,im 6ft 1 and 200 pounds but people say im skinny so could maybe do to bulk up or just ignore others opinions .
bought more fresh fruit and salad this week so its a start .cant do skimmed milk though full fat for me.
if im been honest i want being fit to be a bi product of something i enjoy ,hence i dont spend 3 hours a day in a gym ,but i can see when the results roll in how this could be addictive

Stop spending so much time sitting down in front of the computer and go outside instead. Something as simple as this can do wonders for one's health.

Loved finding this thread.  You know I used to work in healthcare but I will be the first to let everyone know healthcare practitioners like to claim their diagnosis was 'correct' when there is SO much more to underneath that than what is said. 

If you look at it from a brutally honest standpoint, even with all the debates that we should have 'universal healthcare' in the US and how other countries 'have it so much better', really, anyone who puts their trust in someone else to manage their own health is being foolish.  Others can guide you, and truly have good intentions, but nobody can manifest good health, other than YOU.

I agree with many of the people that spoke up here.  In the end, your body goes through phases and cycles and what may make sense one month may not be what resonates the next.  For example in May of this year I was possessed to walk - and walk EVERYWHERE....it was crazy.  Now that summer is in full bloom I'm more inclined to lay around. This isn't a bad thing now that I work from home, before I would just take off on random excursions....but now I feel a lot more grounded and able to make an income.

June 2017 was a month for REST instead of exercise.  For me anyways. And I avoided gluten for 4 months, but after a while I found I could eat it again - weird. 

Your body will tell you what it needs at the proper time.  Listen to it, and yes there are healtier choices, I do try to avoid gluten in favor of fresh fruits and veggies because the latter is so much more nutritious....

I don't drink alcohol for 2 reasons: 1) been in recovery from addiction since 2005, with 1 relapse in 2010-2012, and in the creeds we say 'Alcohol is a drug'.... and 2) went thru liver failure last year, not because of the relapse, but because of autoimmune hepatitis (the so-called diagnosis anyways....) But I don't judge those who do. I do feel that everyone has an internal radar that tells them what is best for their own body and only you can be the judge of what is better for you personally and what is not. (Again, the prerequisite being able to be brutally honest of course).

Health and fitness are overrated *Eats some more chocolate chip waffle*

But seriously, if you stay away from food that you know is bad for you (or at least only eat it occasionally) and find something you enjoy doing that gets you up and moving, you'll be good to go. Eventually, you'll find other things to keep you active and more confident.

Latest posts

Back