How important is what I wear?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jesse

Reaction score
I'm sort of clueless about dressing myself. It's either jeans and a t-shirt or khakis and a button up shirt. Other clothes exist? Help? I think I need to develop some kind of fashion sense to help my chances of getting noticed in the relationship world... or do I?

Don't dress in clothes you aren't comfortable in, Jesse. Try to always be neat in appearance, but don't dress as someone you aren't. Besides... :p a lot of women out there love the challenge of shopping for their men.
lmao, I don't think my husband has actually shopped for his own clothes since just after we started dating. :p
So, either he hates to shop, or I have excellent taste in men's clothing. :D Could be both I suppose, lol!

Lol. I'm simply comfortable in jeans, t-shirt, and tenni's. :) So I guess it's not so important eh? As long as I look groomed?

Yes, but do dress for the occasion. :p If it's something a little more formal than a rock concert, you might want to consider something a little more refined than the jeans. :p But yes,a neat appearance is important, lol. :p

One's dress is certainly important, but it's important to make sure you're dressed for the time and occasion.

There are certain interviews you wear a full suit and tie to. There are some meetings and gatherings where it's appropriate to wear slacks and a collar shirt. And then there are social gatherings and casual interactions, which for me is where it gets complicated.

Dress how you're comfortable, and dress in what you feel represents you accurately. I wear jeans almost constantly with solid or two-color shirts most of the time, because I like simplicity and practicality. The only logo shirts I have are department shirts, which I usually only wear on duty or at trainings. My shirts are form fitting. Not skin-tight, but they aren't baggy. I frequently wear a ball cap, and it's rare that my shirt is not tucked in; I don't like to appear sloppy. I frequently wear a belt. I wear boots 90% of the time; I'm a worker and they're practical, and don't look ridiculous like I think 'skate shoes' do.

And so you can actually learn a lot about me by looking at how I dress.

That's all I can really offer.

Well if it's more formal I can pull the khakis/button up shirt out of my arsenal. ;)

I think I'm making a lot of progress in other areas eve. I wear smell-goods now and actually do something with my beard other than let it grow like a wild man and shave every other week :p. I keep it nice and trimmed. I'm even spikin up my hair now! I wanted to make sure I was wearing the right thing too. Guess I'll stick with what I'm doing until a girl wants to start picking my clothes out lol.

Brian said:
One's dress is certainly important, but it's important to make sure you're dressed for the time and occasion.

There are certain interviews you wear a full suit and tie to. There are some meetings and gatherings where it's appropriate to wear slacks and a collar shirt. And then there are social gatherings and casual interactions, which for me is where it gets complicated.

Dress how you're comfortable, and dress in what you feel represents you accurately. I wear jeans almost constantly with solid or two-color shirts most of the time, because I like simplicity and practicality. The only logo shirts I have are department shirts, which I usually only wear on duty or at trainings. My shirts are form fitting. Not skin-tight, but they aren't baggy. I frequently wear a ball cap, and it's rare that my shirt is not tucked in; I don't like to appear sloppy. I frequently wear a belt. I wear boots 90% of the time; I'm a worker and they're practical, and don't look ridiculous like I think 'skate shoes' do.

And so you can actually learn a lot about me by looking at how I dress.

That's all I can really offer.

Thanks Brian. What I was really wondering was for something like a date at a dinner/movie type thing. Do I wear the t-shirt with skeletons on it or find a polo shirt? I hate polo shirts.

I do usually wear dress clothes and a tie for interviews except for one instance in which I somehow only had the skeleton shirt and jean shorts... and the shirt had a big red stain on it...somehow I got the job (my current job). Must have been the ole Jesse charm.

Oh yeah...lol, gotta be smellin' right to get the girls, Jesse. :p
Nothing smells sweeter than a sexy, clean smellin' man. :D lol

Haha, that's awesome about the interview.

If I were going on a date, I would be doing my best to be easy to have a conversation with. Easy to laugh with and feel comfortable around. So choosing from my wardrobe, I'd wear this pair of white cargo pants I have (loose, but not tastelessly baggy) and probably this white/dark blue T shirt I have which is just tight enough to show my pectorals (which from the sounds of your weight loss, you'll be doing soon ;) ). And I'd swap my boots out for something else.

I think predominantly light colors, or light with a contrast, makes you seem more approachable.

If we were going for some kind of walk or hike, I'd dress appropriately for that, though.

EveWasFramed said:
Oh yeah...lol, gotta be smellin' right to get the girls, Jesse. :p
Nothing smells sweeter than a sexy, clean smellin' man. :D lol

That's my next question! I'm using dial magnetic clean rinsing body wash now instead of plain old dial soap. Think that's an improvement? Also what is too much smellies? I use the body wash, deodorant of course and a couple drips of cologne, but if I've got all that on is also applying after-shave gell too much?

Brian said:
Haha, that's awesome about the interview.

If I were going on a date, I would be doing my best to be easy to have a conversation with. Easy to laugh with and feel comfortable around. So choosing from my wardrobe, I'd wear this pair of white cargo pants I have (loose, but not tastelessly baggy) and probably this white/dark blue T shirt I have which is just tight enough to show my pectorals (which from the sounds of your weight loss, you'll be doing soon ;) ). And I'd swap my boots out for something else.

I think predominantly light colors, or light with a contrast, makes you seem more approachable.

If we were going for some kind of walk or hike, I'd dress appropriately for that, though.

Lol yes Brian you've got me there. I've honestly been thinking to myself about how I'll be wearing form fitting clothes once I've got to my weight loss goal. :) Right now I do wear a little bit baggy clothes because I'm heavy. They're actually getting too baggy now though because of my weight loss. I'm going to have to wear a belt soon to keep my pants up. I don't want to buy any new clothes until I get to where I want to be.

Once I get the weight lost that I want to I'm going to work out a little bit. The shoulders, back, pecs, arms, abs. :) Gonna be a clean, good-smelling hunk. :D ....wearing a skeleton shirt lol.

Hey man, some chicks dig the skeleton shirt.

Do you shop retail, or have you tried thrift stores yet? You might check it out if you haven't. You get like 2-3x more clothes and most of them are surprisingly nice and not worn out or filthy. The dress shirt for my suit actually came from a thrift store, as have all my jeans.

Also, I'm far from an expert, but I suggest starting your workout with push-ups or chest presses, rowing, pull-downs/chin ups, and then some shoulder and arm exercises. I built some good bulk from that.

I mean, I'm still a twiggy little *******. But I kinda fill out a shirt now. :p

Twigs wear shirts?

lol, no, I have no idea why I'm being such a smartass tonight. :p And you aren't "twiggy." :p

I'm an in-betweener. I don't shop at places in the mall or kohl's or high end things, but I don't really go to the thrift stores either. So where do I go? Walmart. :( Yes I know, I'm contributing to the downfall of our country and for that I apologize.

As for working out- I've actually done quite a lot of research and application on working out. I worked out hard for a long time and got pretty big the thing is I was still fat over top my muscle. Once I get the fat off I'll be bulking up with muscle again :)

I am doing push-ups right now however. Every other day I'm building up. Currently doing 10 pushups, 5 minute rest, 10 pushups, 5 min rest, 10 pushups. As I go I'll increase to 20 pushups 4 reps, 30 pushups 5 reps. After that I'll probably just increase reps.

I also agree well groomed is the most important factor about your looks.You can go for the casual look like you do.It's nice most of the time with a jeans and a simple tshirt or polo shirt. I myself find that I'm attracted to guys who dress in a sophisticated manner .I like the black slim fit pants or jeans and dark colours.I also am obsessive about jackets whether for guys or girls. So I love jackets,but thats ofcourse for winter =P
But every one has his own style.Most important thing is that it fits them and looks clean and fresh.

Enchantress said:
I also agree well groomed is the most important factor about your looks.You can go for the casual look like you do.It's nice most of the time with a jeans and a simple tshirt or polo shirt. I myself find that I'm attracted to guys who dress in a sophisticated manner .I like the black slim fit pants or jeans and dark colours.I also am obsessive about jackets whether for guys or girls. So I love jackets,but thats ofcourse for winter =P
But every one has his own style.Most important thing is that it fits them and looks clean and fresh.

Thank you v much for the advice!

Not to long ago, I always wore Larges when it came to shirts. Then My wife at the time introduced me to medium. And I would have to say that mediums were a good idea. It shows off more of my muscular definition :) not saying im totally ripped, Im just saying that I have been able to keep up with trying to keep my body in shape. I was in wrestling for 9 years and into all sorts of sports in gradeschool. All jobs Ive had required some sort of physical activity, and not to mention an ultra fast metabolism :) I think everyone should try and live a more active lifestyle. I know its easier said then done, but I think if people were introduced to that more often while growing up, they would have a better chance of being more active as a grown up.

Brian said:
Hey man, some chicks dig the skeleton shirt.

Do you shop retail, or have you tried thrift stores yet? You might check it out if you haven't. You get like 2-3x more clothes and most of them are surprisingly nice and not worn out or filthy. The dress shirt for my suit actually came from a thrift store, as have all my jeans.

Also, I'm far from an expert, but I suggest starting your workout with push-ups or chest presses, rowing, pull-downs/chin ups, and then some shoulder and arm exercises. I built some good bulk from that.

I mean, I'm still a twiggy little *******. But I kinda fill out a shirt now. :p

Jesse said:
I am doing push-ups right now however. Every other day I'm building up. Currently doing 10 pushups, 5 minute rest, 10 pushups, 5 min rest, 10 pushups. As I go I'll increase to 20 pushups 4 reps, 30 pushups 5 reps. After that I'll probably just increase reps.

5 minutes is too long. A minute to a minute and a half inbetween sets is what you should be doing.

You don't need to lose your weight before you start working out. You should do cardio one day and weight training the next. (3 days cardio and 3 days weight training a week.) Light weights (but not too light) and high reps to tone your body and burn fat. Then when you're are ready to bulk up, heavier weights and lower reps.

I agree 100%, Punisher. A combination of the two, in that order, is best for overall fitness building. And while you're building all that muscle, don't focus so much on the scale if you know you're eating right. When you start adding more muscle, your weght can actually INCREASE. I'm not saying not to monitor your weight, just know that there will be times that your weight goes up in relation to the muscle mass that you're building. Six days a week might not fit into your schedule, but just do the best you can!
Again, Im proud of you for being able to stick with your goals! :)
Of course...I thought you looked handsome BEFORE you began your weight loss program.:D

Jesse said:

The amount of pushups that you do, shouldnt really be an issue. It is how you do each individual pushup. Such as holding your position right at that point were you are lowest to the ground, then pushing up... Its not about how many reps of a certain activity you can do, its about strengthening your muscles.

Punisher said:
5 minutes is too long. A minute to a minute and a half inbetween sets is what you should be doing.

You don't need to lose your weight before you start working out. You should do cardio one day and weight training the next. (3 days cardio and 3 days weight training a week.) Light weights (but not too light) and high reps to tone your body and burn fat. Then when you're are ready to bulk up, heavier weights and lower reps.

Thanks pun. 1.5 minutes then it is. About the weight though, I am doing some light exercise. 3 days cardio and 3 days weight training is too much for my goals. I don't want to be a super fit body-builder. I'm just going for a lean, toned look which mostly involves a low body fat percentage. Cardio though for sure is important so I will try to do some cycling, swimming, and jogging.

EveWasFramed said:
I agree 100%, Punisher. A combination of the two, in that order, is best for overall fitness building. And while you're building all that muscle, don't focus so much on the scale if you know you're eating right. When you start adding more muscle, your weght can actually INCREASE. I'm not saying not to monitor your weight, just know that there will be times that your weight goes up in relation to the muscle mass that you're building. Six days a week might not fit into your schedule, but just do the best you can!
Again, Im proud of you for being able to stick with your goals! :)
Of course...I thought you looked handsome BEFORE you began your weight loss program.:D

Thanks Eve :)

epileptic said:
The amount of pushups that you do, shouldnt really be an issue. It is how you do each individual pushup. Such as holding your position right at that point were you are lowest to the ground, then pushing up... Its not about how many reps of a certain activity you can do, its about strengthening your muscles.

You're right. I always make sure to have proper form for my pushups. I do think reps are important though.

Jesse said:
Lol. I'm simply comfortable in jeans, t-shirt, and tenni's. :) So I guess it's not so important eh? As long as I look groomed?

I would say being well groomed is the most important part. I think jeans and t-shirts are fine most of the time, but for a dinner date you should go a little nicer such as a button down shirt with your jeans or khakis and a polo shirt. It really depends on the girl also. Most women like giving men fashion advice, so don't be afraid it ask.

Latest posts

Back