What is the scariest movie ever?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Art_of_Noise said:
*Sigh* said:
Cannibal Holocaust is scary as hell in a twisted psychological way. There isn't really any scary jump scenes, but the message and story of it lurked in mind for months before I can forget it. Had a bunch of nightmares of me being eaten alive after seeing it. It's a pretty old movie, but the scenes in it look pretty realistic. There are even a few animals that were killed to make it.

I can agree on that! CH is disturbing on a social level. Ever see Men Behind the Sun?

No I haven't. But I did an IMDB on it and it looks seems pretty grotesque, kinda reminds of the Saw series for some reason.

Badjedidude said:
Men Behind the Sun....didn't the producers like kill a kid to make that movie or something? Or maybe disfigure a real kid's body? I heard something like that a while back...but I heard it from a Nip so it could be untrue.

----Steve

I believe it was that they acquired the body of a deceased kid and pretty much desecrated it. It's a horrifying film, kind of slow at times but definitely makes you uncomfortable just for watching it.

Yeah, that's what I thought...I knew it was something really messed up like that.

I guess that shows us the line between "art" and "crime," eh? :p

----Steve

Not so much "scariest" but movies I didn't mind....

Ichi the Killer
The Town that Dreaded Sundown
Race With The Devil
Rosemary's Baby
Audition
Transsiberian
Carnival of Souls
And can't leave out Human Centipede
And the most messed up movie I've seen - A Serbian Film

The Omen

Hellraiser

The Shining

The Fly original

Nosferatu

The Silence of the Lambs

The Innocents

Those are my 2 cents ^.^

I am not a horror movie fan at all (but love a good horror story), but from what I have seen, these left me with the major heebie-jeebies for days:

The Shining (those effin' little girls have a way of popping into my head whenever I find myself looking down a long hallway)

The Exorcist
Hellraiser
The Conjuring (no, HAVE NOT seen this...this is solely based on the trailer that kept coming up on TV. Not a chance in hell I would actually watch it)

I have not been really scared by a movie in years. In the past I would've named Stephen King's It and Poltergeist. Now I can only speak in terms of how twisted whatever I saw was...

Jacob's Ladder
High Tension
Audition (I second it - starts quite innocently, but that makes it even more wicked)
Martyrs
I Stand Alone
Irreversible (would not watch again)

Better read up on the last two before watching because of their themes.

beautiful loser said:

Only read about it yet, but maybe I'll dare to watch it one day.

Rodent said:
I have not been really scared by a movie in years. In the past I would've named Stephen King's It and Poltergeist. Now I can only speak in terms of how twisted whatever I saw was...

Jacob's Ladder
High Tension
Audition (I second it - starts quite innocently, but that makes it even more wicked)
Martyrs
I Stand Alone
Irreversible (would not watch again)

Better read up on the last two before watching because of their themes.

beautiful loser said:

Only read about it yet, but maybe I'll dare to watch it one day.

Irreversible was uncomfortable to watch. The main scene it's known for was ridiculously too long. And the fire extinguisher scene...****, that was brutal. Watched it one time and never wanted to see it again.

The Bad Seed
Kiss Me, Kill Me
Session 9
Psycho
Creepshow
Begotten

I love older scarier films. Particularly because the plot and dialogue are better than modern day slashers and gore films. Which, I enjoy those too, but to me, a good scary movie is something that I can run in the background and listen to, not only watch, but listen to.

^ Wanted to put Session 9 on my list as well, but it doesn't have much shocking imagery from what I remember. Psychologically it is gripping though. Therefore a personal favorite of mine.

beautiful loser said:
Irreversible was uncomfortable to watch. The main scene it's known for was ridiculously too long. And the fire extinguisher scene...****, that was brutal. Watched it one time and never wanted to see it again.

Ditto. I'm a bit desensitized when it comes down to 'general' violence so the extinguisher scene was tolerable, but the dragged out main scene is the exact reason why I'd never watch it again either.

"Henry: Portrait of A Serial Killer" (1986) is brilliant.

"Halloween" (1978) - because that could actually happen (in short, a man becomes fixated on some random, completely ordinary girl and pursues her with murderous (or worse!) intent and is seemingly unstoppable).

The grudge
This movie scared me all time whenever i think about that crawling girl in ceiling.and that scary sound scared me too.

Prince of Darkness (1987) - Not the scariest of movies but after watching it I had the same reoccuring dream that the people in the movie for about a week so thst freaked me out! Not one of John Carpenter's best but an interesting premise and an Alice Cooper cameo is always good

Remember watching the movie Braindead with a friend in her room. I was probably 10 years old. She had these pet rats in her room so the smell of those and that movie was just so disgusting. 😑

John Carpenter's In The Mouth Of Madness (1994).

While obviously pretty much Lovecraft-worship, the finalizing punchline, the final scene of that movie screwed me up for about 3 days. Perhaps because I chose to watch it after a bout of insomnia. But that...that, actually challenged me.

Latest posts

Back