Is it normal for a child to want to be alone?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cestlavie

Reaction score
Is it normal for a child (7 years old) to want to play on her own occasionally at school? Sometimes my daughter plays on her own during break time.

She didn't seem bother at all and even said "that way I can play whatever I want." But I am still worried. Should I be? Is it normal to want to be alone?

It doesn't sound like anything to worry about to me.

I had one daughter that liked to spend more alone time than the other, both turned out with normal social skills (better than mine :D)

i dont have any children and perhaps it might be an idea to ask other parents what they think, or possibly a child psychologist.

but, you say that she want's to play alone 'occasionally', so she plays with other children too, she 'doesn't seem bothered' and her answer suggests that she is happy playing by herself sometimes so she can 'play what she wants'. it sounds like she is a ballsy and cool kid that has the confidence to be by herself or with others by choice.

sounds like she doesn't have to be a part of the crowd all the time and has the imagination to entertain herself. i like her already :)

Nothing to worry about at all; in fact, I would say that her expressing her individuality in that way is a good thing.

As far as i remember i didn't mind playing alone. I could spend hours drawing a story. I drew characters while talking about them and it was really fun. It's maybe cos i wasn't really popular among peers and i prefered keeping to myself. Other kids were just so bossy =(

I have no idea what will happen to your child but I ended up here on ALL :D

Thank you for your replies. They make me feel a lot better and a lot less worry!

Depends.
Some people are just natually introverted and enjoy doing things on their own.
If that child wants to be alone and has some quirky traits (acts weird towards other people, obsessing over weird things) you should let a psychologist know. It might be autism.

"Occasionally" is not a big deal at all. If it was "often", "usually", or "always", then you might want to look into it. A child who can't handle playing alone some of the time is not more emotionally stable than a child who always wants to play alone.

Latest posts

Back