dating sites are depressing

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loketron

Reaction score
seriously
surfing through peoples profiles, way more succesful than me.
messaging people, that will never write back.

why would anyone do this to themselves, like i am

F*** okcupid.com
F*** plentyoffish.com

grrrrrrr

loketron said:
seriously

F*** okcupid.com
F*** plentyoffish.com

grrrrrrr

I know what you mean...
Try your best not to get too emotionally invested in online dating sites...
It'll only lead to disappointment...
Which I can honestly say that I, and many others have experienced first hand...

((hug))

I know what you're sayin man. You're not the only one who's had trouble with dating sites. I've tried eharmony.com, a paid subscription to match.com, okcupid, bbwromance.com, and facebook datepad. I had absolutely 0 success.

Just don't do what I did and think there's something wrong with you ok? I always told myself I was ugly, hideous, repulsive to women and that they couldn't possibly like me. It doesn't help anything at all- it only feeds the negativity in your mind. I know it's tough, but think positive always! Hang in there my friend.

99% on such sites, they are gay or man who are searching a girl but girls rarely uses such sites to chat. think with logic and than start to chat...OK

Jesse said:
I know what you're sayin man. You're not the only one who's had trouble with dating sites. I've tried eharmony.com, a paid subscription to match.com, okcupid, bbwromance.com, and facebook datepad. I had absolutely 0 success.

Just don't do what I did and think there's something wrong with you ok? I always told myself I was ugly, hideous, repulsive to women and that they couldn't possibly like me. It doesn't help anything at all- it only feeds the negativity in your mind. I know it's tough, but think positive always! Hang in there my friend.

Yes...I have done the same...and still am guilty of doing so, though I try my best not to.
Please do your best to follow his advice; Jesse has a lot of truth in his words.
Take dating sites with a grain of salt.
Otherwise, you'll drive yourself right into the ground.
You don't deserve to do that to yourself.
Hang tight!
You can do it. :)

I think that the problem with dating sites is that ultimately they are used most successfully by people with confidence, i.e. people who have no trouble meeting people anyway ... so all dating sites become a hook-up joint for pretty people who think, "now I don't even have to leave my house to land a date!" rather than lonely people interested in meaningful relationships.

Well, maybe Bjorne (the admin) should create an off-shoot of alonelylife.com. Maybe he could call it... eharmonlonelylife.com.

The weird thing is that I was thinking of something like that yesterday ... not so much an okcupid for lonely people, but a facebook for lonely people. I think that most of the people on here don't come on here for internet sympathy but to make friends.

loketron said:
seriously

I'm not particularly fond or successful with them either. In fact, I find them to be quite depressing. One thing I did notice, is that if you're not getting any replies, changing your profile around can occasionally help.

Say something different or try to make yourself sound a little more interesting. Lie a little if necessary. Everyone else seems to.

If that doesn't work, offer money and jewels.

i dont like them. women get more activity. new messages and presents and stuff. im jealous. lol. then when i have to compete to win them over... nah. just not in me. real men dont try to impress girls online. only losers and rapist put that much effort into meeting a girl that could be lying to them... if she was into me, maybe. but im not going to try and impress someone, that could be a man... pictures mean nothing.

I hate that the men I'm attracted to never write me back. It's quite frustrating, because these are the same guys who typically gripe about how they never hear from women.

I went on a date with a guy from plentyoffish.com, he turned out to be very nice and i enjoyed the date.

You have to be proactive. Write a PM every day to a girl or guy. Eventually, if you put enough thought/care into that PM you'll get a response.

I also find that it helps to keep the site UP, while youre on the computer. Be logged in, so other users will see you are online and be more likely to view your profile.

And be persistant in writing back. Calm, patient, persistent...and unflustered from rejections. Eventually someone will NOT reject you, will go on a date with you and eventually, yes you will find someone.

But only if you dont give up and keep persisting and finding out what works and what doesnt.

Giving up shuts out all possibility of success.

I had massive success with 'are you interested' on facebook, but real dating sites are horrible places. I avoid them like the plague, they just made me feel even more lonely

Isn't it kinda unnatural in some way? Naively said: going out and just walking through the days would be better and more rewarding than wasting your time looking for a partner on the I-net.
I'm a bit too young for those sites but yeah, in my opinion just ignore them. You don't need them!

Take care

dating sites are for socially-stunted sheep who thrive on the lack of ACTUAL interaction so they can pretend they are trying while still hiding behind the keyboard. Dont look at the people on those sites as ANYTHING to be envious of. The one who is right for you, if any are, will love you for who you ARE not how you type or describe yourself. If they cant recognize you for how good you are then F*CK em cuz they dont deserve you.

@Takumi and 4OneLastSoul7: That's a bit harsh though dont you think?.. Some people don't have the confidence to approach someone they like in person. The bonus of dating sites is that it is clear from the start what you are there for. No rejection on the grounds of 'sorry I have a boyfriend' and so on. Granted, There are people on there just looking for sex, but it still takes the edge of of that first meeting and helps us that have confidence problems to make that first move.

I've had a profile in OKCupid for a few weeks now (because it's free... without a job a can't pay for that kind of service, the succes of which it's not even assured), but to no use... mostly because I'm too shy to PM anyone, so I just "sit" there waiting for someone to aproach me, but that won't happen... That means either that the place it's full of shy people like me, or simply, they don't like me, which I understand. I know my attitude is not the right one, that I should try and contac someone, but I can't do it, even if I try to force my self (I suspect I suffer social anxiety), because I feel like the poor girl I choose to talk with will be mortified and will have a bad time rejecting me, and I don't want her to be bothered by me. Plus, I feel so pathetic and embarassed by the fact that I look for love or Brian knows what in those places, just because I feel desperately lonely.

Latest posts

Back