bicycles

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a Trek 3900 that I got this past spring. It's a sort of mid-range mountain bike. I ride it a lot, when the weather is fair...it's probably the most fun I've ever had, and it's excellent exercise. I've got a bike rack that mounts to the spare tire on the back of my rig for easy hauling.

I want to do more riding next year. My goal is to be able to ride over one of two mountains in the area (Stone Johnny or Baldy Mtn) by next fall. Trails range from easy to difficult in most areas, so it's not like you're instantly thrust in to the world of ten foot drops and giant boulders. :) I'd say I'm almost intermediate by now.

It's important to know what you're looking for in a bike if you're thinking about getting one. A road bike has a light frame and thin tires, so it won't really be suitable for trails. A mountain bike has a heavier frame and thicker tires, and while you -can- ride them on pavement, it's not the best experience.

You also have to consider what sort of suspension you want. Mine only has front suspension.

The list goes on.

For a mountain bike, you can either go to walmart and buy a $50 cheepy to see if you like it, or you can go to an actual bike shop and spend about $200-$400 on a nicer starting bike. The difference is in manufacture and quality. For the walmart bike you get something made in China from a store that can't really answer any questions or do any service on it. For the higher price you get something durable made in the U.S. from a knowledgeable source. Everyone I've talked to says it's been worth it to them and so far I have to agree.

The other upside to spending more is that it retains some value. A year or two later you might decide to upgrade to a nicer bike. If you bought the Chinese bike, you can sell it for maybe $5-$10. If you bought a U.S. made one, a $200 bike will still have $75-$100ish value as a used item depending on condition. For someone else getting in to the sport, it's still a good way to try it out. Or it's also a way to get someone to come and try it with you if you keep it and have a spare bike laying around.

They do come with maintenance costs. You want them serviced at least once or twice a year (not really expensive and usually your first one is free). There's tools you'll want to slowly acquire to be able to do certain things in the field, spare inner tube etc. especially if you get a mountain bike. And you'll want some type of hydration system, probably. A water bottle might work fine for you, but if you really start getting in to it you'll want to look at hydration packs like the CamelBak, which starts around $50 and also has a couple of storage pockets for energy bars and bandaids and the like. I got one and it's completely worth it...but then again I also use it for work sometimes.

Anyway. To be brief, yes I have one and I use it lots when weather permits and there's not snow and ice and slush everywhere :)

i gots me a trek bike too, gorgeous celery green, since spring i have HAD to use it for most of my transportation, as I never have money to put in the gas tank. now that the weather is getting colder, I don't think I can manage it...too old, between the arthritis and asthma, the cold will kill me, I won't be able to breathe at all. So I don't know what I'm gonna do in a couple of weeks when I can't find a 50 degree day. If you are thinking of a bike, I highly recommend a Trek.

ya I got a bike and I'm a pretty avid fan, ussaly It'd just be leisure which was better, now i ride a gargae sale bike everyday to and from classes, i would like it more, had i not had the tire's spin out on a wet sidewalk and then carin into a guardrail, while trying to hold onto a cup of coffee, it was futile :( what didn't land on my pants landed in the river, now all the fishies are swimming around in circles really fast

yesh two wipe outs all in one day just like that long day in september uggghh

Partly Cloudy
77° F | 54° F

Partly Cloudy
77° F | 56° F

Chance of Rain
77° F | 58° F

Partly Cloudy
79° F | 56° F

Chance of Rain
76° F | 52° F

i ride to or from work, normally just one way, then get a ride ina vehicle. about 7 miles on the bicycle. last week i rode to class, but my class is over now. i rode today to work. takes about 50 minutes on the bike, and like 30 minutes in the family truck. not to bad. 5 gears. i use them all. i love it.

my favorite bicycles were the ones my Dad fixed up from the dump, in the 6th grade I had a giant 26" JC Higgins Chopper with a bananna seat(early 70's)

i've got a nast ass bruise on my thigh from that i noticed last night, i should take a picture and post it here, soon we'll have enough to start an entire evfan's college owies photo album

i love my Bianchi volpe and use it on the off days i am not running a lot of miles. i enjoy using it on the road, trying to commune with cars, once i almost died on it because the brakes failed but i am still here.

Yes and never. It's just so much more practical to use a car, or faster. And there aren't a lot of places around here to ride anyway.
I would like to get back on it sometime though.........I really can't remember the last time I rode it so it must have been a while.
Oh yeah, I remember now, I stopped riding it because the seat caused my butt extreme pain. ugh, maybe I'll just let it keep gathering dust.........

i rode mine today. i had three days off and a holiday. ugh... i could of had the truck today to go to work, but i wanted the exercise. it was harder then usual. i think cause i was still kind of depressed, and it was colder then it has been. winter... ugh. no snow or anything but still kind of cold. im glad i rode my bike though. im off again from work though. i might ride to the park or walmart. i dont know.

Latest posts

Back