Facebook.....Yea another Facebook thread

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zackarydoo

Reaction score
Lots of threads mention Facebook, so why should I be any different? :D

I only have 4 friends in my FB list, which I know is terrible. I just don't keep people there if they never write anything to me and ignore everything I write to them. I'm not picky about people at all - I just don't want to write to people who never write anything back. I don't mean that I expect people to always reply no matter what, I just mean that if someone says nothing to me after 2 weeks and I've written several status msgs and a real letter or 2 to them, then I'd expect at least something back. That doesn't seem to be the way FB works to most people unfortunately.

I'd just like some company really, and someone to make comments to and will make comments to me, like my wall or status. It keeps me company when I'm lonely, which is most the time.

Please IM me if you'd like to add me there and won't ignore me.....not too much anyway. :)

Yeah as far as facebook goes it seems that the people who communicate with each other are good friends and they dont care to talk to anyone else. The exception is on someone's birthday when it seems everyone goes to write on their wall.

Dont feel bad about your lack of facebook activity. I have 70 people on my facebook and then even on my birthday ony 2 people bothered to write on my wall or message me. When your not a very social person its just how the wheel turns I guess.

When I first started facebook I only had 4 people join it.. its been a year and I now have 80 friends.

Coverage said:
Yeah as far as facebook goes it seems that the people who communicate with each other are good friends and they dont care to talk to anyone else. The exception is on someone's birthday when it seems everyone goes to write on their wall.

Dont feel bad about your lack of facebook activity. I have 70 people on my facebook and then even on my birthday ony 2 people bothered to write on my wall or message me. When your not a very social person its just how the wheel turns I guess.

You're right that it is how the wheel turns when you aren't very social. On my Birthday less than a month ago, either one person or nobody mentioned it. Even my Sister and 2 Nieces didn't. I had a close friend on FB who I'm very close with now and she forgot. That did upset me a lot.

Don't feel down about Facebook...it's a popularity contest is what it is. Facebook "friends" are superficial...the true friends are the very few that are by your side when you need them the most.
My Facebook is hardly active - partly because I am a private person by nature, and that I have no one on there that I would want to share the details of my life with.
Along with that, is that I let people add me first - I don't go out of my way to add people unless they're people from these forums.
The frustrating thing is that - those same people that add me - they don't respond to my messages, and yet they do not delete me.
It's a popularity contest...of who has the highest number of friends and the most "exciting" life - often portrayed through hundreds, if thousands of glamourous photos of themselves.
Note: By "exciting" in today's terms, means partying, clubbing, and hitting the bars every night. Who needs hobbies when you're hot?

I agree Luna that Facebook friends are superficial, in general. I keep hoping I'll find people there who think more like I do, and want to be real friends. I have found 2 people this year that way and 1 or 2 others in the past. I barely know anyone - In fact I know nobody else at all apart from family, so I rely on places like forums and FB to make friends.

I'd never add anyone to my list without writing to them first. It bugs me when people just try to add me when I have no idea who they are and know nothing about them.

It's the same as bars...
Problem is, people in general there are not looking for genuine friendship...
They're just looking for "good times"...

I keep trying to meet people that I can connect with, that I can actually have a real conversation with other than the usual gossip, celeb-drama-honeysuckle, fashion etc. that everyone seems so engaged in...
I end up slightly adapting my personality to accommodate their interests...
And still, no good comes from it...

But Facebook is nothing more and it is better to believe it not to be anything more than that - so please don't take anything that does or does not happen on there to heart...

If fact, I've been thinking of deleting mine...
I hold onto it, thinking that perhaps over time these people will take an interest in me...
After all, THEY are the ones that searched for me and added me...
It seems like I'm trying to hang onto the last strings of a unlikely - but possible social life one day...
But deep inside, I know that I am just another number to them...

(((((((hug)))))))

I hope genuine friends will come into your life one day...
You can try to give yourself distraction, such as volunteering, hobbies etc...
At least you'll be meeting new people and participating in your interests...

However, there is no formula for friendship...
It cannot be forced, cannot be made, cannot be found...

The best we can do is to live our lives in a positive manner; indulge in our interests and love ourselves...

If it comes, then it comes...

Poem: Reason, Season, and A Lifetime

When someone is in your life for a REASON, it is usually to meet a need you have expressed outwardly or inwardly. They have come to assist you through a difficulty, to provide you with guidance and support, to aid you physically, emotionally, or spiritually. They may seem like a godsend, and they are. They are there for the reason you need them to be. Then, without any wrong doing on your part or at an inconvenient time, this person will say or do something to bring the relationship to an end. Sometimes they die. Sometimes they walk away. Sometimes they act up or out and force you to take a stand. What we must realize is that our need has been met, our desire fulfilled; their work is done. The prayer you sent up has been answered and it is now time to move on.

When people come into your life for a SEASON, it is because your turn has come to share, grow, or learn. They may bring you an experience of peace or make you laugh. They may teach you something you have never done. They usually give you an unbelievable amount of joy. Believe it! It is real! But, only for a season.

LIFETIME relationships teach you lifetime lessons; those things you must build upon in order to have a solid emotional foundation. Your job is to accept the lesson, love the person or people involved; and put what you have learned to use in all other relationships, and areas of your life. It is said that love is blind but friendship is clairvoyant.

Source: Anonymous

I would just like to say: I have only 4 friends on facebook as well. I don't want to put anything into it anymore because I feel I'm just so behind and most of all uninteresting. I have a list of people I won't accept because I'm ashamed of my boring life. Maybe it just isn't for me but its frustrating that so many people are into it. I hate Twitter even worse. I just don't understand why anyone would use it. I really hope it dies soon :(

Luna said:
It's the same as bars...
Problem is, people in general there are not looking for genuine friendship...
They're just looking for "good times"...

I keep trying to meet people that I can connect with, that I can actually have a real conversation with other than the usual gossip, celeb-drama-honeysuckle, fashion etc. that everyone seems so engaged in...
I end up slightly adapting my personality to accommodate their interests...
And still, no good comes from it...

But Facebook is nothing more and it is better to believe it not to be anything more than that - so please don't take anything that does or does not happen on there to heart...

If fact, I've been thinking of deleting mine...
I hold onto it, thinking that perhaps over time these people will take an interest in me...
After all, THEY are the ones that searched for me and added me...
It seems like I'm trying to hang onto the last strings of a unlikely - but possible social life one day...
But deep inside, I know that I am just another number to them...

(((((((hug)))))))

I hope genuine friends will come into your life one day...
You can try to give yourself distraction, such as volunteering, hobbies etc...
At least you'll be meeting new people and participating in your interests...

However, there is no formula for friendship...
It cannot be forced, cannot be made, cannot be found...

The best we can do is to live our lives in a positive manner; indulge in our interests and love ourselves...

If it comes, then it comes...

Hi Luna, thanks for all you wrote, and for quoting the poem too. Makes lots of sense. :)

I've thought of deleting my FB account too - Well I did once, but came back. I don't have anyone else to speak to other than one unreliable person, so for now I have to use FB as a way to communicate with the world. I know that most people there are the way that we've both said they are, but there is the odd genuine person around who wants to be a decent friend - I know cos I'm one of them, and can't be the only one. One of the main contacts I have from there isn't even in my list any more (long story) but she still uses it, but not to write to me or send me things any more. So she still uses it for playing her various apps and sending hugs and hearts to guys she doesn't know (which drives me potty!), but when it comes to communicating with me properly, we just speak on the phone. So in a way Facebook was a way to meet her, but now we've moved on.

You make lots of sense Luna and I agree with everything you've said about Facebook and the way people are, and how to find friends, etc..

I hope you find some decent people there before deleting your account.

Ekstra said:
I would just like to say: I have only 4 friends on facebook as well. I don't want to put anything into it anymore because I feel I'm just so behind and most of all uninteresting. I have a list of people I won't accept because I'm ashamed of my boring life. Maybe it just isn't for me but its frustrating that so many people are into it. I hate Twitter even worse. I just don't understand why anyone would use it. I really hope it dies soon :(

Hi Ekstra. I'm glad I'm not the only one with 4 friends but it is kinda depressing isn't it? Well I do have 2 more now, thanks to people from these forums adding me.

I doubt your life is any more boring than mine mate, and I'm twice your age so should be very different. I'm a real loser and recluse I guess you could call me, but don't like being this way. I bet you're 20 times more interesting than I am.

I have a Twitter account but gave up on it. I only opened an account there because every day it was talked about on the TV, and I got sick of hearing about it but not being a part of it. I had tried it before but never understood what was so great about it, but then I tried it again, stayed for a few weeks, then gave up. I just don't get it at all, and find it even more fake than Facebook.

That would be cool mate, thanks. No your age isn't an issue at all.

Please just make sure you say in the add request who you are. :)

Facebook is honeysuckle in my opinion lol. I have one. But I rarely visit it. Facebook to me, was made for people to expand their ego's. To show off. To exaggerate how good their lives are. Sure it helps people stay in touch. It helps me too. But with it comes so much stuff I don't want to know. A lot of what people say on there, I am not interested in. If I were, I'd ask them.

I think the idea of having facebook "friends" is a misnomer. Unless if you talk to them on a regular basis and are friends in real life. I hate it when people try to "friend" me who I've never met in person, particularly men who are desperate to find a relationship.

I have almost 700 friends on facebook, I don't talk to everyone on a regular basis, but we are friends in real life. So I guess it is possible to have a lot of friends on facebook that you actually know.

I got plenty of friends on facebook after I stopped caring for it...I tend to hate most people there since I've joined twitter...lol I wouldn't mind having a few friends from here.You people are cool :)

*checks the post date* wooooooooooow....

Ohk never mind!

Latest posts

Back