Calling in sick to work/ school etc. because of loneliness/ depression...

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

Luna

I should have gone to work today...
I should have gone to work yesterday...

All that interests me is sleeping...
I just want to sleep my days away...

There isn't anything day-to-day that can interest me...
The co-workers in my office, would not guess me to be as such...
Just lying on my bed, staring at my ceiling for hours...
Should I wake, I close my eyes and force myself to sleep once more...
That is how I spend much of my "sick days"...

I would never let my co-workers know of my feelings, my lack of interest in life...
They have this impression that I am "bold, funny, bubbly" etc.
One of the most surprising moments in my life, was when my supervisor told me that I am the happiest person she's ever met...
How she's glad to have me as a part of her team...
Little does she or any of my co-workers know...

I will force myself to go to work next week...
Tell them I had a bad fever for these past few days...
I am running out of lies...
Any suggestions are more than welcome...:p

But to the main point...
Do you call in sick to work or school when you're having a bad day?

lol If i dont go to school. I dont call in. I just dont show up for class.

That sucks Sophia...
Junior High and High School was pretty much like that for me - I must have missed around 60-70 days a year.
My teachers would call home and I would delete their messages and erase them from the call display.
After a while, they stopped trying.
Besides, I was doing well with my marks...I was scared to go to school and it was the people that affected me.

anxiety.

i stopped attending a course because of it. i also ignored another course because i accidentally forgot to attend a session and then felt to ashamed. use to miss a day of school each week in middle and high school. commonly went in late. school threatened but did nothing. then they stopped. i passed 8th grade with straight F grades. yay.

i dont miss work though. i hate it a lot, but i like going.

im still fail with school though. i have to be there like an hour early. im so prep now.

Oh i've done it so many times. I've spent a week straight in bed skipping classes and ignoring phone calls. Depression can suck

Luna said:
That sucks Sophia...
Junior High and High School was pretty much like that for me - I must have missed around 60-70 days a year.
My teachers would call home and I would delete their messages and erase them from the call display.
After a while, they stopped trying.
Besides, I was doing well with my marks...I was scared to go to school and it was the people that affected me.

This was me ALL THE TIME. In my last two years I missed well over what was 'allowed' for us to miss in a year. I hated school, I dreaded the scorn of my peers and the classes I cared nothing for. I'd always nag my mom to let me stay home or fake being sick.

Looking back I was kind of a whiner, but I'm not sure I'd gain anything by changing my decisions back then.

I've never missed work for depression. I guess I like money too much.

Do you drink coffee? Sometimes I entice myself with the promise of coffee. I seriously found some days that was what I was looking forward to once I got to my boss's house and climbed in the truck: stopping at the gas station for coffee.

On the days when the job was too close to stop at a gas station, I really hated the day. Everything was suddenly made terrible. No morning ride to wake up (or if the distance was far enough, to take a nap...mmmmm), no warm drink. Hated it.

Things are different now. I like my current job because it's my passion...and I can confidently say to myself that I am capable of doing any work, because I've already been through two years of the most miserable honeysuckle ever. I think it's important for young people to work a really shitty job because it helps put things in perspective.

You have to reward yourself to enjoy work, though.

I bought a mountain bike this year as a reward to myself for doing well at my new job. Sometimes I'll go and buy a new fishing lure or something and go fishing. And a lot of times after payday, I'll go out for breakfast for a few days. Not only does this let you convert your work in to enjoyment (the purpose of currency; converting work, production, or risk in to other forms), but it enriches your life and gives you things to talk about with others.

Some people say, 'But I dont really know what I like to do' or 'I dont have any hobbies'. To them I suggest doing what I did with the mountain bike; just pick something and try it. It's not gonna hurt ya and you might love it.

I take days off when I not up to facing the world and if I can sense the feeling coming on I ask my boss for days off because I have to do something on my house or some excuse. Its sort of good where I work they dont ask why or what.....................................it helps, then I dont have to make up crap to fill the gap.

I missed aloot of school days because of similar problems. So much so that I was about to fail some classes due to it. Luckily, my school didn't keep a very secure lid on their digital records so I was easily able to get in and change them, but that's besides the point.

Now that I have a job, I very much feel like taking sick days, but I've never taken a single one. Why? Because I'm sooo afraid of confrontation. With school, I didn't hurt anybody with myself... now... people are depending on me to do a job. I don't even know how to take a sick day? Just the thought of asking for the paperwork scares the honeysuckle out of me, I hate drawing attention to myself. Im very scared, very often.

I used to call in sick some days in school and work but haven't done for two or three years now, mostly because I bizarrely enjoy working now, sometimes more than being at home.

Looking back sometimes I'm not even sure why I called in sick in the first place. I used to hate making the call the most, lying to someone even over the phone when it was probably so obvious to them that I was fine. Then I used to spend most of the day getting anxious about that and thinking about it over and over. Also thinking what a coward I was and thinking I was ashamed of myself for doing it and not having the courage to face up to what I was running from. So I would stay in bed for as long as I could and try to sleep so I didn't have to think about anything at all.

The worst part of it is when you go back to school or work thinking that everyone else knows that you pulled a sickie and having to look them in the eye.

You made me smile with your mention of being thought of as so happy Luna, mostly because I used to get the same. I must be one brilliant actor is all I can say haha. I guess I have come quite a way in some respects as now I just get called weird to my face occasionally for trying to be funny at work. At least that is one side of my life that is going well at the moment.

Luna said:
But to the main point...
Do you call in sick to work or school when you're having a bad day?

I used to. My freshman year of high school the school wanted to force me into a homeschooling program because I missed so many days. Looks bad on the school's record if they have students that aren't coming to school. Ironically, I could miss about 25-30 days a semester and still manage nearly straight A's.

Now, I have only missed school once this semester and my grades are average. Go figure.

I've done that a couple of times before :)

There are some days when I just can't handle going to the office. All I wanted to do was crawl under the blanket and sleep. At one point, sleeping was all I ever did over the weekends. Not particularly healthy but when I sleep, I forget about how things are around me and ... I don't know...that was sorta like *shrugs* a form of escape for me?

Anyway, I could only call off sick for a day at most. Work is still there, life still has to go on and unfortunately, the bills will still need to be paid.

I take a day off, give myself one day to try and forget everything, then later in the day, put on my helmet and get ready to take on tomorrow again ... with hopefully renewed vigour. Or die trying :p Usually I'd just end up showing up at work with a sulk that'll put a lemon to shame haha.

I never really did it for work because I was able to stay busy and keep my mind off of things much more. School is where I didn't want to go though and I would miss a ton of days of high school every year. Depressions sucks.

Scott said:
I used to call in sick some days in school and work but haven't done for two or three years now, mostly because I bizarrely enjoy working now, sometimes more than being at home.

Looking back sometimes I'm not even sure why I called in sick in the first place. I used to hate making the call the most, lying to someone even over the phone when it was probably so obvious to them that I was fine. Then I used to spend most of the day getting anxious about that and thinking about it over and over. Also thinking what a coward I was and thinking I was ashamed of myself for doing it and not having the courage to face up to what I was running from. So I would stay in bed for as long as I could and try to sleep so I didn't have to think about anything at all.

hehe same here :D
I would then worry about what they gonna think about it probably all day
:D

I guess I care so much about being employed that I've refused to call off sick, even on days when I wasn't feeling the best. Actually, I think missing days of work would make me feel worse, with the idea I've given someone some excuse to let me go lingering in the back of my mind.

I have to be employed, for I have no one else to lean on financially.

Latest posts

Back