Old Pictures

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

Twitchy

Clickety Linky

"Welcome to the Old Picture internet site, featuring an extensive collection of historical photographs. This collection includes images from the years 1850 to 1940. These photographs span the globe, and present a unique view of our past. Join us in developing a love and appreciation for vintage photographs."

Eisenhower at D-Day
Eisenhower-Paratroopers-D-Day.jpg

Apache mother and baby (1906)
Apache-Mother-and-Baby.jpg

Pancho Villa on horseback
Horseback-Pancho-Villa.jpg

Twitchy said:
Clickety Linky

"Welcome to the Old Picture internet site, featuring an extensive collection of historical photographs. This collection includes images from the years 1850 to 1940. These photographs span the globe, and present a unique view of our past. Join us in developing a love and appreciation for vintage photographs."

Sounds great, i'll have to check it out. In the mean time, more assorted history pictures.

263kbdj.jpg

Marine after Eniwetok assault

2efozgk.jpg

Nazi with carrier pigeons

2udyf7c.jpg

Kent State 1970

Twitchy said:
Clickety Linky

Wow, thanks for that link! :)

Naleena said:
I really like the apache one :p

The native american photos impressed me the most for some reason...and Minus, that Kent state picture is interesting. I don't think I've seen that one before.

Few more:

Hupa Indian mother and baby
Mother-and-Baby.jpg

Papoose (Apache)
Papoose.jpg

Quhatika Indian girl
Quhatika-Indian-Girl.jpg

Twitchy said:
I don't think I've seen that one before.

I used that one because it isn't the more well known

2iicp3l.jpg

then i stumbled across this which seems to be from the same set

2qs88w6.jpg

Anyway i got to the site that you linked to and there was some good stuff there. Always a fan of castles, i thought those were great. Cooking, prohibition and a lot of areas. Many everyday things that are now gone.

From linked site

2li9atd.jpg

Minus said:

Yup...that's the one that always seems to pop up when someone mentions Kent State.

Minus said:
Anyway i got to the site that you linked to and there was some good stuff there. Always a fan of castles, i thought those were great. Cooking, prohibition and a lot of areas. Many everyday things that are now gone.

Agreed. I think we take a lot of things for granted. Eventually all we have are photographs and memories.

From linked site

Minus said:

I'm glad they put the sign up so we'd know how efficient it was. :)

Twitchy said:
I'm glad they put the sign up so we'd know how efficient it was. :)

That is what i thought also, but the more i look at it the more i see how amazing it must have been at the time. I should have mentioned that it is from the 1910s collection. That makes a lot of difference. There are electrical items in there at a time when towns were still in the process of getting wired for electricity. The light fixtures are still patterned after the gaslights. There is what may possibly be a telephone on the wall, not an item found in every house in those days. I can't tell if the box by the lady is an early refrigerator from when they looked like cabinets and had refrigerating unit on top. That appears to be a raised power box on the floor. What ever is plugged in there most have been something of a wonder it's self at the time. Looks like even an electric fan in the back right. Yes, i get too amused with these old pictures.

Minus said:
That is what i thought also, but the more i look at it the more i see how amazing it must have been at the time. I should have mentioned that it is from the 1910s collection.

I suppose that is an impressive kitchen arrangement for 1910. I would have expected the photo to be from at least 1930. :)

While I'm here, I wanted to mention that this photo of Lincoln is bothering me. Does Abe look real to you? Maybe I've just seen too many wax figures and statues of him.

lincoln-antietam.jpg

To me he looks like an action figure, or whatever you call those GI Joe type dolls. The guy to the right isn't a whole lot more life like but with him it is more his stiff pose. What is with the hand in the coat thing?

From linked collection
f_isowm_31cbea8.jpg

Palm Beach Flordia 1906

b9dixv.jpg

___

Ensuring suits meet the modesty requirements 1922

11j85c4.jpg

http://old-photos.blogspot.com/

With another bathing-suit season at hand, local lawmakers are aiming their ordinances at males on the score of topless suits rather than at underclad females. Police will arrest for topless suits in Atlantic City, St. Louis, Minneapolis, St. Paul, Syracuse, N. Y., Toledo, Galveston, El Paso, Springfield, Mass., Birmingham, Evansville, Ind., Baltimore.

Time Magazine Monday, Jun. 21, 1937

Nice ones leftykmonahan! The first one is hauntingly beautiful. Do you have any information on it?

Ravager1663 said:
Nice ones leftykmonahan! The first one is hauntingly beautiful. Do you have any information on it?

"Entitled (Front View) Example Of A Coiffure On A Tartar Or Manchu Female, who is wearing a long sleeved quilted garment. The hair is wrapped around a flat strip of wood. Peking, Pechili Province, China [1869] JThomson [RESTORED]

This girl actually appeared in several of Thomson's pictures. It was apparent that he spent some time in photographing a team of Manchu models both in their natural surrounds and in front of a portable backdrop. In essence my personal suspicion is that his process was remarkably similar to a modern day photo shoot. Of course, he didn't have electronic flashes or digital film, but instead had to look under a dark cloth at an upside down reversed image on dim matte glass plate. Photography in those days was genuinely a monumental undertaking."

That's an awesome photo, Twitchy. It's very atmospheric. I love how grainy it is. I think I'll have to save this on my computer. :)

Latest posts

Back