Females pretending not to see me

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

*Sigh*

Reaction score
I just recently finished my first semester of college, I got decent grades but my social standing is still pretty low, and I haven't really made any friends. But in high school I used go a whole day without saying one word. Now, I can engage in small talk with people, and when I meet familiar faces from classes I would say "hi". I think this mainly because people in college are more mature and diverse.

But anyways, I've also taken notice of people avoiding eye contact with me when I walk by them, mainly females. For example, in one of my science classes there's a girl that I would occasionally talk to, mainly about class related things. I walked by her to other day at the library, and she was with a friend, I was about to say "hi", but she completely avoided eye contact with me by looking to her side, so I ended up just walking past her without saying anything because I assumed she didn't want to associate with me in front of her friend. There's also a girl that I went to high school with that I recognize going to the same college I am, although I never really talked to her, I thought she was pretty cute and smart. And I am pretty **** sure she knows who I am because we've worked on a school project before when I was in high school. I saw her at a formal dinner at my university, and I know she recognized me cause right when I made eye contact with her she quickly glanced away and walked right by pretending I wasn't there.

I've been thinking for a while why girls are avoiding me, and I've narrowed down to 2 possible reasons: I look like a creeper to them or they like me so much that they look away. I find the second really hard to believe, and the only reason I would think that's possible is because I used to avoid eye contact with the girls I really liked because I was very shy and didn't want to embarrass myself, and I have a pretty strong feeling that the girls avoiding me aren't shy.

If I can figure out why these girls are avoiding me, I think it would help a lot with my social problems. Thanks for taking to the time to read this, I am all ears for opinions and solutions for my problem.

I can't tell you how many times I've ran into someone from my passed and made it a point to avoid any contact with them... it's a grey area of socializing. Usually you either know the person well and you're friendly, or you don't know the person and you walk on by. If neither case applies you're forced to assess mutual level of comfort. If the comfort was never really established, confronting the person like you're old pals will come off awkward. Hell, I avoid a lot of people I was semi-close with in highschool just to bypass the inevitable "catching up" conversation. Don't take it personally, man.

As for random girls that avoid eye contact... so many reasons... intimidation, shyness, the desire to not be hit on... if you're thinking eye contact will make women approach you you have much to learn, bro. They never approach no matter what you look like. If you look like a "creep" you won't be approached. If you are good looking and laid back you might be approached but the chances are still pretty slim. If a girl makes eye contact with you and holds your stare, or makes eye contact with you several times... go for the approach. If she gives you the doggie dinner bowl look you're in, but you still have to make the approach. It sucks... believe me I know, but it's the truth.

Yeah, I've seen that with women. What happens sometimes is that they take a sneaky look from far off to see if they recognise the person and then pretend not to notice the person as they go by.

The thing is that I get it though. Eye contact is actually a very powerful thing, hence that burn you get when you hold eye contact for too long. I can't stand it when a guy keeps on looking at a woman, it's completely oppressive.

As for what ridin solo said ... just no. Maybe in a bar, but 99.9% of the time people don't want to be hit on. If a girl looks at you twice, it's not a signal to move in.

You may ask "Why?", but may never find the answer.
You cannot find the reasons behind their behaviour - there are far too many different factors involved.
You cannot and should not try to formulate reasons for their actions - doing so may likely lead you towards criticizing yourself:
"Maybe I'm unattractive/ ugly/ repulsive/ women do not like me"
"Maybe I'm not funny/ intelligent/ interesting"
"Maybe I do not have _______"

Don't focus your energies on such experiences - I know that it is easier said than done.
Speaking from experience - I understand the hurt that comes with it.
When you think that you've made an acquaintance, a friend...only to find out the hard way through silent rejection.
The bottom-line is, is that anyone who treats you with respect and can see you for your kind character, is someone worth appreciating.
Those are the people who are worth investing your emotions in.

Not the people that you speak of.

@Ridin
I'm not really trying to hit on girls. It's just that sometimes when I make eye contact with a girl I know and she knows me, I would think it would be natural at least to just say the occasional hello or hi and walk by. But instead they look away and pretend that I'm not there, it kinda feels like there trying to avoid me.

@buddha
I understand your point, cause even I've done that sometimes. But I usually do so because they pretend to not to recognize me, so I just play along. I don't know if their trying to be ******** or if their just shy.

@Luna
Ya, I agree a lot with what you say. I mean I walk by people every day and I almost see everyone having a conversation, smiling and talking real loud; while I can't even get a hello from a classmate. It makes feel like a social outcast. I probably won't associate with those people anymore cause I have new classes next semester, but theirs only so many places where I can meet people.

Say "Hi" to them even if they do look away. I dont know whats going through their minds, but dont let it bother you. Next time you pass someone you know then say "hey, (name)" regardless where they are lookiing with their eyes. They will then have no choice but to notice you and it will be good communication practice for you.

Coverage said:
Say "Hi" to them even if they do look away. I dont know whats going through their minds, but dont let it bother you. Next time you pass someone you know then say "hey, (name)" regardless where they are lookiing with their eyes. They will then have no choice but to notice you and it will be good communication practice for you.

I actually tried that a few times with a couple people, and only like 1 out of the 5 actually said hi back. The rest just kept on walking.

I am a pretty shy person to, but have a ton of "aquantances", I will usually avoid them entirly just cause u don't know what to say. Sometimes they will notice me and say hello while walking by and if I don't say anything back I feel like an ass. I guess because it makes me one. In my opinion even if the person is a complete stranger a friendly hello should not be snubbed. If they ignore you they are ********, or they just wernt expecting it, and next time they will say something.

Latest posts

Back