the problem of staying too long **rant warning**

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrawingCircleCircles

Reaction score
/begin rant

bleh. made another mistake again tonight which brought me the subtle rejection. it could have been the friend who cock blocked me, but either way i did have a good connection with the girl i was talking with.

despite getting the number, i just hate subtle rejection. after watching a show, she and her friend left me hanging. totally got me down tonight when i could have been up for more game. being around a stranger or acquaintance for too long of a time can come off as weird if the conversation dies out, especially if there is a long period of silence. its best to just leave the conversation first if you already feel the high of the conversation coming to a low.

the best thing to do is to leave the conversation on a high note, because most people remember the beginning and ending to meeting a new person. what i have learned is that if you feel quite awkward with conversation, is to start out with small conversations. i started with simple a "hi, how are you?" and developed to the "how's" and "why's" of what people feel. the metaphorical example for getting to know someone is to pretend the person is a wrapped present. you gotta unwrap the present a layer at a time with different questions to really get to know someone.

people like talking about themselves, and its begins to be easy to build off the responses. just takes work and practice to perfect the art of it all.

i really dont know why i'm posting this. its just im pretty sad about the rejection because she seemed like a great girl. i hope i'm just over-analyzing everything and when I call her she would be down to hang out. on the brighter side, it was an open bar tonight, so i didn't spend that much money at least =)

/end rant

I agree with a lot of what you're saying... sometimes I'll eject mid-convo before it has a chance to die down just to leave the person wanting more (if they even want more, lol.) Other times the convo dies and in retrospect I'm like "honeysuckle... I could've asked her about this at that point, or gone off on a tanget related to that comment."

If their is that awkward silence you should tell a joke, imo. Rack up a list of funny/cheesy one-liners and when you feel the convo slowing down throw it in there... the amosphere is lightened automatically and you come off as confident person with a sense of humor.

awkward silence is certainly no fun, but I wouldn't get too worked up over this "subtle rejection". I cant know for sure what took place or what she is thinking, but I find it hard to believe that a person can give someone their number and then be completly turned off when the conversation reaches as slow point.

Call her up with the confidence that she will want to hang out again and dont keep telling yourself that shes rejected you when, from your story, I havent seen where she actually expressed with words that she wasnt interested. Awkward moments like you described happen to everyone, just dont let it get you down.

Thanks for the advice and encouragement guys. I'll be sure to at least give a call. I just wish it didn't crush my spirits last night. There were plenty of other ladies out, I got caught up. To those guys who can take a rejection, brush their shoulders off and try again with someone else, props to you.

Latest posts

Back