Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone else hate family gatherings?
It's very hard for me to talk to my family, especially at family gatherings. Anytime I'm there I usually sit on the couch alone and wait until someone sits down next to me and starts a conversation with me. Everyone on my mother's side gossips a lot and it's very hard to trust any of them. Always feel left out in gatherings and that's why I wish to never go to them. But in the end of course I have to go, but when I do go, I usually stay very quiet the whole time.
Hate them. Simply hate them.
Not me. I don't see my family (in a "gathering" situation) often enough. We usually have fun when we get together.
“Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, ‘I will try again tomorrow.’”
I like family gatherings as long as there's at least one person I can talk to (and wants to talk to me). Otherwise, I try to keep busy by helping with the cooking or something. That makes awkward silence easier. I have stepped out to take a breather before though.
"When things are difficult, then let yourself be happy." - Tibetan Saying
There are no family gatherings that I know of, lol. Maybe I'm not invited if there is one Toungue Once upon a time I wanted to have a family gathering. I don't know most of my 15 aunts and uncles. Don't know how many cousins I have either. I found some of them on Facebook. But they weren't interested. So I left it at that.
I've never been to one with my family, unless a funeral counts. I've been to other people's family gatherings, and I had fun for the most part. I just felt like an outsider.
The woods are lovely, dark and deep. But I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep.
They're alright, if only the relatives didn't feel the need to discuss politics every single time :-(
^Or discuss about my love life and deciding I should be the next one to get married or matchmade. Lol.
When I was a kid, I disliked family gatherings very much. It was mainly because my mother's family was adoptive & their stance toward my mother wasn't the best; as her offspring, I didn't count as much as their other kids. Most of my father's family is dead & gone. But I do have a "family" of sorts now, & the first Christmas gathering I went to a couple years ago was great. I'm going again this year.
illegitimus non carborundum
I don't hate my family, but I find it hard to relate with them. Most of my family were born from our country of origin, but I was born in North America. I feel like I get treated like a "white-washed" person. This gets worse with family members that I don't know very well.
In May we're heading back to the homeland for 4 weeks for a family reunion... I'm not sure if I should be excited or not. I feel guilty because everyone in my family is absolutely ecstatic to go back; it's not that big of a deal for me and I honestly don't feel like going this year because I'd like to take summer classes to catch up with University. Urg, I feel terrible prioritizing school over family.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I am a muslim , and i hate this religion Tobakki3 13 1,034 04-06-2019, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Richard_39
  I will be the end of my family line Matt L 12 952 02-26-2019, 03:09 AM
Last Post: Naizo
  34 alone, no family and no friends Hawx79 59 135,541 02-04-2019, 10:38 AM
Last Post: IncolaVacui
Sad Bullied, can't make friends, men hate me, and I just don't know what to do now...:( Luna 41 17,711 02-02-2018, 02:14 PM
Last Post: ardour
  Family dd11 18 5,564 03-12-2017, 11:55 AM
Last Post: blablameaningless
  I hate that I can be so insenstive. Restless soul 36 5,136 12-18-2016, 07:10 PM
Last Post: achillesfoot
  I did not attend family gathering in March of this year- my dad only attended GrayAndLonesome 8 2,822 08-13-2016, 08:18 PM
Last Post: constant stranger
  I have no friends or family 3elm 28 10,933 07-17-2016, 04:10 AM
Last Post: BayouWoman
  I hate my life Chris516 1 1,868 06-07-2015, 02:59 AM
Last Post: Serenia
  the value of family in isolation? mickey 8 3,257 01-14-2015, 06:54 AM
Last Post: Tiina63