Loneliness: A sign of genius?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

*Sigh*

Reaction score
I got kind of bored over my Christmas break from school, so I decided to read up on some stuff (random things). I was interested in what IQ and what it defines and read some stuff on it.

And according to an article (here), feeling lonely and being out of sync with others is a common trait among people that are known as "gifted". Some other common traits of a genius is includes being introverted, having intense emotions, being sensitive, and being socially disconnected.

I thought 'hey, I have some traits similar to gifted people,' so I tried to look for a decent online IQ test that didn't ask 10 stupid questions and your phone number at the end. I found this website(link). Thing took me like 20 minutes to finish (I kinda guess the last few questions cause it got kinda of random), and I got a 116 with a standard deviation of 15. Your considered "gifted" if you get a 130 or above and if you get above 144 you would be a genius; the average person gets a score between 85-114.

I don't really think an IQ test can define a person's intelligence. But I thought it would be kind of fun to know my own IQ.

If your bored and want to take an IQ test you can do so here. Make sure to use the standard 15 point deviation. After your done you can look at where you range from here.

Feel free to post your score.

And you even spoke to me, and said :
"If you're so funny
Then why are you on your own tonight ?
And if you're so clever
If you're so very entertaining
If you're so very good-looking
Why do you sleep alone tonight ?
I know ...
'Cause tonight is just like any other night
That's why you're on your own tonight
With your triumphs and your charms
While they're in each other's arms..."
It's so easy to laugh
It's so easy to hate
It takes strength to be gentle and kind
Over, over, over, over

--The Smiths

I think there are 2 types of clever.

There is being academically clever.
Then there is being socially clever.

I guss that most ppl are not clever in both of this ways.

I don't think am piratically thick in any of this ways but I know I certainly do not ecol in ether of them ether.

I guss I would most relate to the song that PoWer2tHePeOpLE has quoted by the smiths here.

And ye if being a genius means that your going to be lonely then I too would rather be dumb.
I do know a lot of really dumb popular ppl though so maybe there is something in that.
Or maybe there brighter then I give them cradit for.
After all they well be with ppl they love to night where I well not.

Yay! I knew there was a reason I'm lonely! I'm a genius! :p:D

That's right, Bluey...the theory of multiple intelligences. Psychologists and sociologists now say that there are like 8 different areas of intelligence, including intra-personal (social), creative (arts), academic, natural (nature/biology), inter-personal (self)...etc etc etc. So a person can be a dunce in one area and a genius in another.

----Steve

Errr..my IQ score is in the mid 120s...So why in the hell is it that I don't feel like an average person?
Oh yeah...normal people are noramlly retarded. I'm probably just a wise-ass:p
No wait...I'm fucken witty

Hehe, that's right Crow xD

Ok, I just want to say, per definition IQ tests on the internet are fakes, because a proper IQ can only be done under surveillance of psychologists. They have to ask you questions and interpret the answers, they need you to stack cubes in time and draw things and do other sorts of stuff that you just can't do the way it's supposed to be done at all on the internet.
So, if this gives you a low score, don't worry, you might well be able to add 20 points or so xD

As for the point of this thread :p Whether lonely people are more likely to have a higher IQ score, I haven't heard that before, but who knows. I know the above because they made me do one for this whole examination of me being depressed and all, and I have 136 verbal IQ/108 spacial IQ (yes there's too kinds of intelligence they measure to calculate the IQ score, neither of them has much to do with social skills though (btw, yes that's a huge difference, that's not normal). So, I don't know, I guess 136 is pretty high and I'm a social train-wreck, but 108 is pretty standard so yeah..

I was always under the impression that IQ doesn't really measure intelligence, anyway. I thought that the IQ test measures one's ability to adaptively LEARN, not how much they already KNOW or understand...so really a person could theoretically have an astronomical IQ and yet not know much at all if they've never put effort into learning or understanding.

Is that right? I mean, the IQ test is commonly quoted to measure intelligence...but I don't think it really does, does it? Any help from any real psychologists here...or someone in the know? (and Wikipedia doesn't count ;):p)

----Steve

i had a girl at work today. both hands full, with long but thin items. goes to place one item on top of some other items. instead of setting one hand down and using both hands, she just lifts up. items are to long to lift like that. im finishing something near by. she fails... they fall back on her. nothing heavy, or dangerous. she feels foolish and makes a remark about it. i help clean up and finish the task of placing the items on the stack. we walk off. im told she was flirting... i thought it was stupidity. i counted 3 common sense violations in her actions. why would stupidity attract me? FAIL.

IQ i believe is for comprehension, not intelligence. but they go together so i guess its intelligence. youre suppose to take it when youre young because things are new for you so it can rate your memory better.

the flaw is, people learn differently. some by touching, some by repeating, others by listening, and some by just seeing. someone may be able to comprehend something better then another if they just experienced it in a different way.

but universities and colleges center around paper work, so people that colleges want, are people who have a high IQ with reading and writing.

I think your confusing intelligence with knowledge. They are both different things. I think people with high IQs are able to think at a much more complicated level, and be able to understand things better.

IQ and knowledge tend to go hand in hand with each other, but not always. Lets not forget that while one may have a high IQ, its what he does with it that matters, whether he uses it actively to increase his knowledge or increase the depth of his already acquired knowledge.

There is a saying that I'm sure everyone has heard that goes 'Ignorance is bliss'. Example of which is, say, your partner is cheating on you. Sure, a lot of you would definitely want to know if they were cheating, but fact is that before you knew - you were happier. The knowledge of it caused upset. On a smaller scale this applies as well, you were happier before you knew you lost 20 dollars, before you realized no one seems to be on a different wavelength as you..etcetc

IQ (if utilized) tends to give you more insight and knowledge, therefore, it would seem very plausible that those with a higher IQ would feel lonelier and more upset since they know more. Ignorance is bliss, ultimately.

..or maybe we're all just making excuses. I'm sure I am guilty of this from time to time. Its what you do with the knowledge. :)

Ha. I got a 126
:p guess I'm not genius material.
Don't think loneliness has much to do with intelligence. I guess you do have more time to study and learn when you stay at home and don't go to parties so that might be where they got it from. Who knows

Aedammair

Latest posts

Back