A Lonely Life BOOK?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Badjedidude

Reaction score
Okay, I was reading the thread in here about promoting A Lonely Life.com....and I was thinking about some things that could help promote the site and bring about the release and spread of some of the stories and information on here...and what better way than in a...

BOOK!!

That's right, folks. I know it's a longshot, and probably just a deranged idea wrought from too much early morning coffee and not enough sleep, but...it's something to think about.

There could be different chapters based on different types of loneliness, different ways to handle loneliness, success stories, etc...everything you'd find on the site itself. Sort of a self-help, chicken-soup-on-the-internet thing. Triumphs and failures. Heck, the book could even have some thread conversations in it. Then slap "A Lonely Life" on the cover, place the website address all over the place, include some funny pics or something, and bingo! Book. Perfect for gathering a larger audience for the site, as well as helping some people. If you put the web addy in the book enough times, surely at least half of the people reading it is going to check the site out at least once.

Writing the different sections could be done by division of labor...and then communal editing to make sure everyone involved in the project agrees completely with content. All decisions should be done by complete congruence so as to avoid any bickering or bad feelings...with the Creator of the site (and moderators, maybe) to give the final word on decisions.

As for pay/royalties if said book is created and actually sells...well, I don't care--it can all go to the site. I wouldn't want any of it. Would you? Just being in such a project would be awesome enough. Everyone involved would get their name in the book, maybe a brief bio.

Alright, lol...like I said, I've been up all night drinking coffee and staring at a computer screen...so maybe this is a dumb idea, but there it is. Whaddya think????

----Steve

P.S. I didn't put this in the thread for promoting the site because I thought it'd be better to keep thise separate in case it bombs or something. I didn't wanna bog down the other thread. Okay, done 'splainin' ma' doins'.

Badjedidude said:
Okay, I was reading the thread in here about promoting A Lonely Life.com....and I was thinking about some things that could help promote the site and bring about the release and spread of some of the stories and information on here...and what better way than in a...

BOOK!!

That's right, folks. I know it's a longshot, and probably just a deranged idea wrought from too much early morning coffee and not enough sleep, but...it's something to think about.

There could be different chapters based on different types of loneliness, different ways to handle loneliness, success stories, etc...everything you'd find on the site itself. Sort of a self-help, chicken-soup-on-the-internet thing. Triumphs and failures. Heck, the book could even have some thread conversations in it. Then slap "A Lonely Life" on the cover, place the website address all over the place, include some funny pics or something, and bingo! Book. Perfect for gathering a larger audience for the site, as well as helping some people. If you put the web addy in the book enough times, surely at least half of the people reading it is going to check the site out at least once.

Writing the different sections could be done by division of labor...and then communal editing to make sure everyone involved in the project agrees completely with content. All decisions should be done by complete congruence so as to avoid any bickering or bad feelings...with the Creator of the site (and moderators, maybe) to give the final word on decisions.

As for pay/royalties if said book is created and actually sells...well, I don't care--it can all go to the site. I wouldn't want any of it. Would you? Just being in such a project would be awesome enough. Everyone involved would get their name in the book, maybe a brief bio.

Alright, lol...like I said, I've been up all night drinking coffee and staring at a computer screen...so maybe this is a dumb idea, but there it is. Whaddya think????

----Steve

P.S. I didn't put this in the thread for promoting the site because I thought it'd be better to keep thise separate in case it bombs or something. I didn't wanna bog down the other thread. Okay, done 'splainin' ma' doins'.

Seems like a bit of a longshot to be honest. Most of the people who use this site are tired, lonely, mixed up and angry. I hardly think that's a good recipe for writing an informative, unbiased book.

CAS said:
Most of the people who use this site are tired, lonely, mixed up and angry.

The perfect recipe for a career in writing.

Add "alcoholic" and you've just described several of the most influential writers of the last 200 years.

sounds good

or to make it interesting and easy

just copy and paste some of the best threads and posts from the site and publish them

:)

Twitchy said:
CAS said:

Add "alcoholic" and you've just described several of the most influential writers of the last 200 years.

Literature maybe, but no a factual, unbiased book.

Well, firstly, it would be more of an opinion book. It would, as a necessity, include the tragic stories along with the good stories...just a good balance--with plenty of positivity. Lol I'm not saying that we should all try to publish an academic text on the psychology of loneliness. Congruence-decision and having a couple of overseers for the project (preferably writers/moderators themselves) would cut waaaaaay down on the problems with the book's tone, content, and grammar, etc.

The project would only involve a set number of people (decided beforehand), each person responsible to some degree for a certain section of the book...and then the rough draft is presented to and discussed by everyone directly involved in the project--decisions concerning content and tone are made, everyone decides what's missing or needed or what needs to go...and then the original person rewrites a working draft based on the group's decisions...and then keep going like that until we have a final product, as judged complete by the overseer(s).

Yeah, and there would definitely HAVE to be some cut & paste conversations from the website...seeing as how the book itself is based on and all about ALonelyLife.com. As far as I can see, the hardest part would actually be division of labor. A LOT of people would want to be involved, and for practical purposes it's just not possible for like 400 people to be directly involved in the writing of the book. There would have to be, at most, 20-30 people each responsible for one chapter or section. Others could have special appearances in the book in the form of posts of conversations and maybe little quotes or blurbs at the beginning of each chapter....but for the sake of simplicity, efficiency, and all practicality there could only be a certain number of people directly involved...like I said, maybe 20-30. *shrug* And it would be hard to decide who's in.

Good idea? Bad?

----Steve

Twitchy said:
CAS said:

That's what I'm counting on... :p

That said, back to the daily writing grind.

CAS said:
Twitchy said:
CAS said:

lol I think youre just describing E.A. Poe xD

and maybe Jack London

Was Stephen King an alcoholic? i think he's recovered now...

:3

SophiaGrace said:

and maybe Jack London

Poe and Jack London definitely. We can also include Truman Capote, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Ernest Hemingway, James Joyce, Hunter Thompson, Jack Kerouac, Dorothy Parker, William Faulkner and Raymond Chandler.

There are plenty more.

Twitchy said:
SophiaGrace said:

and maybe Jack London

Poe and Jack London definitely. We can also include Truman Capote, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Ernest Hemingway, James Joyce, Hunter Thompson, Jack Kerouac, Dorothy Parker, William Faulkner and Raymond Chandler.

There are plenty more.

holy fresia. So many classical authors. Total boozers. o_O

Yeah i'm over halfways through Edgar Allen Poe's complete works and I'm beginning to realize his relationships he had with women seemed to be co-dependent and toxic. o_O

SophiaGrace said:
Yeah i'm over halfways through Edgar Allen Poe's complete works and I'm beginning to realize his relationships he had with women seemed to be co-dependent and toxic. o_O

I watched a documentary on him a few months ago. It described Poe as placing the women in his life on a pedestal, even going so far as to view them as angels. It didn't make things any easier when every single one of them died from disease.

The guy had rotten luck throughout his life. I can't really blame him for wanting to drink himself stupid. :/

All of that sounds like very convincing arguements for drinking heavily while writing! Maybe that's a good idea for a self-help, ALonelyLife book...lol Just make it a requirement that everyone working on it has to be drunk while writing. :p

...so what do you people think? Is a project like this feasible? Or should I shut up about it? :p

----Steve

Badjedidude said:
All of that sounds like very convincing arguements for drinking heavily while writing! Maybe that's a good idea for a self-help, ALonelyLife book...lol Just make it a requirement that everyone working on it has to be drunk while writing. :p

...so what do you people think? Is a project like this feasible? Or should I shut up about it? :p

----Steve

why am i getting a mental picture of a piece of paper having a bunch of scribbles upon it and a person bending over it with a silly-drunk look on their face?

Twitchy said:
SophiaGrace said:

I watched a documentary on him a few months ago. It described Poe as placing the women in his life on a pedestal, even going so far as to view them as angels. It didn't make things any easier when every single one of them died from disease.

The guy had rotten luck throughout his life. I can't really blame him for wanting to drink himself stupid. :/

[youtube]IHUOK6JSoiQ[/youtube]

Lyrics: http://www.groovelily.com/store/songs/screwed-up-people-make-great-art/

GENE (GRUMPY GUY’S FRIEND WHO STUDIED SCANDINAVIAN LITERATURE):
He grew up poor, just a shoemaker’s son
A lanky kid who had a really big nose
Insecure, immature
He was often found dressing up in girly clothes
His father died and his mother explained
that the Ice Maiden took him away
That little lie made him cry,
Gave him nightmares and it haunted him till his dying day

What a shock
Yeah, it wound him up inside just like a cuckoo clock
Going tick tick tock

‘Cause screwed-up people make great art
They shoot right from the screwed-up heart
Screwed-up people bare their souls and that’s not always smart

Now our man Hans had a heart full of love
But his feelings weren’t always returned
He was odd and a clod He’d make overtures and
always end up getting burned
He was afraid of churches, fire, and dark
Some disaster would be sure to arrive
Now our bizarre superstar
couldn’t sleep because he worried he’d be buried alive

So insane
So he wrote a lot of fairy tales to ease the pain
That crazy Dane

Imagination off the chart
Screwed-up people send us postcards from a world apart

He created a fantasy world and he got him some great reviews
Supernatural stories of snowmen and mermaids and magic shoes
But when his characters get what they want there is often a rude surprise
Because Hans Christian Andersen looked at the world
through really screwed-up eyes

He never married and he never had kids
So his stories were his legacy
Emperor dude, in the nude
And a princess who was kept awake all night by a pea

On and on
Turning all those ugly ducklings into swans
That crazy Hans

God gave them a running start
For example, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
(he made great art)...

SophiaGrace said:
Cause screwed-up people make great art
They shoot right from the screwed-up heart
Screwed-up people bare their souls and that’s not always smart

Nifty!

That was clever...and frighteningly accurate. :p

Badjedidude said:
All of that sounds like very convincing arguements for drinking heavily while writing!

Heh...

"I wouldn't advocate sex, drugs or insanity for everyone...but in my case it worked."

- Hunter S. Thompson

another favorite:

"If you're going to be crazy, you have to get paid for it or else you're going to be locked up."

Badjedidude said:

I think it's feasible, although I don't have any constructive comments on how to go about doing it.

Badjedidude said:

Sure its feasably possible. You would probably need to bring the mods and admin on board with it and be willing to commit funds.

Yeah, definitely. Does anyone have a list of mods/admin? Or anywhere on the site to find 'em?

We'd also need a list of potentially interested contributors/writers.

Haha, so we've established that drinking makes a better writer. What else could drinking make someone better at? Never mind........probably best not to go down that road! ;)

----Steve

Badjedidude said:
Yeah, definitely. Does anyone have a list of mods/admin? Or anywhere on the site to find 'em?

forum staff

Te get there go to 'Member List' and then click on 'Show Forum Team' at the bottom of the page.

Alright...so I've PM'd the mods/admin, and am waiting for their replies and thoughts on the matter. For the sake of getting things organized before anything is OK'd, I think it would help to know who would be interested in helping to write chapters or troll the archived threads for good conversations.

So if you're interested in contributing to a book for A Lonely Life, please put the appropriate number, name (username is fine), and position interested in. Possible positions will probably include: writer, archived post troll, editor (text and content), reader (to read finished material and give opinions on it). If you come up with another position, throw it in! I'll do it first as an example. Be sure to copy the entire list into your post when you add yourself to it, for the sake of keeping things streamlined and simple. So here goes:

1. Badjedidude ---- writer, editor

...and so on. The next person would be #2, then #3, etc. Well, thanks for taking everyone's time...I hope to see a huge amount of volunteers! If you're unsure as to what this project entails, just read the first few posts of this thread and keep in mind that this project is only in the most basic, conceptualization stages, not even fully authorized/supported by mods yet. So don't expect to get busy right away.

----Steve

Latest posts

Back