quoting the opening post?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

Coverage

**DISCLOSURE: This is something I see all the time on all forums, and I'm not directing it at anyone in particular. I have no intetnion of telling people how they should post on a web forum. This topic is more inquisitive than anything. **

You see it on fourms all the time. You have a person who creates a
long post about whatever, and then in one of the first few replys someone quotes the OP in their reply. Why?

The point of quotes is to direct your post towards a certain comment or person, however when you post in a topic its generally assumed that your reply is directed towards the topic at hand, and I see no reason to have a full quote of the opening post in your reply. Especially if your reply is in one of the first ones posted.

I'll admit it causes me some slight annoyance because it creates an infamous 'wall of text' that I have to scroll down a ways just to get to the actual reply. I can understand quoting a certain part of the OP in order to respond, however all readers of the topic should have already read the OP, which means you should not need to quote the entire thing in your reply.

Is there something that I dont understand about this? Do people do it out of force of habit?

-------------

Ok I'm done:D.

Coverage said:
**DISCLOSURE: This is something I see all the time on all forums, and I'm not directing it at anyone in particular. I have no intetnion of telling people how they should post on a web forum. This topic is more inquisitive than anything. **

long post about whatever, and then in one of the first few replys someone quotes the OP in their reply. Why?

The point of quotes is to direct your post towards a certain comment or person, however when you post in a topic its generally assumed that your reply is directed towards the topic at hand, and I see no reason to have a full quote of the opening post in your reply. Especially if your reply is in one of the first ones posted.

I'll admit it causes me some slight annoyance because it creates an infamous 'wall of text' that I have to scroll down a ways just to get to the actual reply. I can understand quoting a certain part of the OP in order to respond, however all readers of the topic should have already read the OP, which means you should not need to quote the entire thing in your reply.

Is there something that I dont understand about this? Do people do it out of force of habit?

-------------

Personally I usually snip posts, particularly if I'm adressing a specific point. I tend to quote the entire post if there are many messages in between. I guess people do it in their own way, tbh, I often don't notice.

Of course, I'm quoting the original post now to be ironic. :p

Steel said:
Personally I usually snip posts, particularly if I'm adressing a specific point. I tend to quote the entire post if there are many messages in between. I guess people do it in their own way, tbh, I often don't notice.

I fully expected somone to quote my topic out of irony..... but you Steel? I must say I'm completely shocked! :)

I don't see anything wrong with quoting part of the original post. It may help in focusing on what part of it is being referenced.

I do wonder about quoting ten paragraphs of any post to add a simple line or two response afterwords.

In fact right before reading your thread i read....

Netiquette

"Do not quote the entire content of the message to which you are replying. Include only as much as is necessary for context. Remember that if someone wants to read the original message, they can; it is easily accessible. A good rule of thumb is, don't include more quoted text than new text. If you are doing no trimming whatsoever of the quoted text, then you probably aren't trimming enough. There is no need to quote six paragraphs of text and write "I agree" afterwords."

Netiquette has its place, and it is nice to think of other readers when you post. Certainly posting the bits you need to rather than everything will make it easier for other people to follow, and will probably add emphasis to your post. (My own personal hell is when people reply inside the quoted text, but in a different colour. Fortunately, nobody has done this in a while.)

That being said, I do dislike forums where people get shouted at for being off-topic or posting in the wrong area, simply because it hardly lends itself to a relaxed atmosphere.

Oh, and I'm sorry I was predictable Coverage, but I REALLY couldn't resist, lmao.

Could probably because it quotes the entire post automatically if you press the little reply underneath the post. Sometimes people want to respond to you and just press reply, and didn't want to go through the trouble of deleting the wall of texts to show which point they're addressing to in their posts.

If people have to guess about which point is being addressed, then using the quick reply box is even easier since there is no reply button to press, and no "wall of texts" to edit either.

Steel said:

I applaud your use of irony. It's a dying art.

:D

Steel said:
That being said, I do dislike forums where people get shouted at for being off-topic or posting in the wrong area, simply because it hardly lends itself to a relaxed atmosphere.

OMG that drives me nuts. I hate overly dictatorial forums.

Minus said:
If people have to guess about which point is being addressed, then using the quick reply box is even easier since there is no reply button to press, and no "wall of texts" to edit either.

Then they won't be directly addressing to the person's post, say I want to respond to your post instead of others, I'd want your post to be quoted, the only thing holding me back would be that it's a giant wall of text.

Unless they're the first person to respond, but sometimes there'd be other people posting at the same time. All of these probably don't matter because some people don't really care and don't think the wall of texts is a problem, I think that's all there is to it, they press a button and reply without thinking that much, I'm sure they didn't do it purposely to annoy you.

Coverage said:

-------------

Even if I m the first person to respond, I will "definitely" quote the OP.

Wanna know why?

Well it freakin annoys me, if I post something , after thinking for like an hour and when I post what I was gonna reply to OP, he would have edited and removed the parts where I commented and sometimes I wont even see it. What would that make me? It seriously makes me look like a complete idiot. So I just quote the post what I was replying to and I kinda feel like I'm spared.

PS: It never happened to me on this forum, so dont think that I m pointing out anyone in particular.

Edit: Yeah I'm quoting you too lol just in case :p lmao

Sanal said:
he would have edited and removed the parts where I commented and sometimes I wont even see it. What would that make me? It seriously makes me look like a complete idiot. So I just quote the post what I was replying to and I kinda feel like I'm spared.

PS: It never happened to me on this forum, so dont think that I m pointing out anyone in particular.

Edit: Yeah I'm quoting you too lol just in case :p lmao

Because we all know you can't edit a quote to say whatever you want it too.

Sanal said:
I keep a very exotic armadillo farm in my closet....I also throw my dirty socks under my bed

See? :p

Coverage said:
Because we all know you can't edit a quote to say whatever you want it too.

But since we're all considerate adults here, none of us would dream of doing that, right?

Coverage said:
I have a tap-dancing gorilla in my bathroom.

lol

Lawrens said:
... I'm sure they didn't do it purposely to annoy you.

I never mentioned being annoyed and never accused anyone of using it for that purpose. I have no idea where you came up with that. This thread isn't about me. It is about what cheaptrickfan referred to as "a dying art".

Yes i did mention what the netiquette was and that it wasn't a herculean task. It seems that you made a few assumptions beyond that.

Minus said:
This thread isn't about me. It is about what cheaptrickfan referred to as "a dying art".

It appears to be dying a very torturous death, too. lol

Oh,and now you're going to make people go back and read for the reference! :D

Minus said:
Lawrens said:
... I'm sure they didn't do it purposely to annoy you.

I never mentioned being annoyed and never accused anyone of using it for that purpose. I have no idea where you came up with that. This thread isn't about me. It is about what cheaptrickfan referred to as "a dying art".

Yes i did mention what the netiquette was and that it wasn't a herculean task. It seems that you made a few assumptions beyond that.

This thread was about Coverage's question on why people are quoting wall of texts as the first respond and he said it was a slight annoyance, my posts weren't directed at you, what assumptions was I making? He said he wasn't targetted at anyone in particular and it's just inquisitive, so I also chime in that people didn't do it for the reason to annoy others but more about other reasons that I posted.

I didn't read your netiquette post, I was still posting in response to the question in this thread.

My first post quoted Coverage's question, and your post right underneath mine mentioned it would be easier for people to use the reply box instead. So I quoted that, I didn't assume anything more than what the opening post suggests, or were you not responding to me?

I see that quoting me to respond to someone else can create as much confusion as balling the whole thing together in a chain. Well whatever way is used, we eventually get it figured out.

lol, all the more reason to use the quote when you are replying to a SPECIFIC person/post....avoids confusion to what you're actually responding to. :p It's easy for two or three people to respond during the time you're composing your reply. If you don't use the quote, it looks like you could be replying to the person who posted just before you did. :p

EDIT: lol, for example, I wasn't replying to Minus, but in general. But it will LOOK like I'm replying to Minus. :p

Latest posts

Back