01/21/10 @ 2:30PM

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

shells

I have my first counseling appointment next Thursday. This is something I need, and it's overdue by more than two years.

I'm both nervous and relieved. I would like to be completely honest with them. I'm afraid if I am, they might institutionalize me or force me to do something.

But overall, this is a positive thing. This is me, trying to take control of my life and hopefully heading one step in the right direction.

Good for you! What an amazing step! I have my first one tomorrow after about a 7month break... I'm nervous too, but I know there's really no reason to be. I actually enjoy going to counseling! I may not really know you, but I AM proud of you! :)

They're not going to institutionalize you unless you say that little green makulka bulbs from the Ardok Galaxy are infesting you with their ethereal eggs that are causing your problems...so don't worry about that.

...and congrats! :D But remember that couselors are people too, not magical wisdom-gods who can heal everything. Take their advice as you would a friend's, not as an authority figure who dominates you.

As you said, this is YOU taking a step on YOUR journey...if you think the counselor is wrong, then perhaps they are, as pertains to your own situation. It is a positive thing to be taking such a step, so...

....AWESOME! :D

----Steve

shells said:
I have my first counseling appointment next Thursday. This is something I need, and it's overdue by more than two years.

I'm both nervous and relieved. I would like to be completely honest with them. I'm afraid if I am, they might institutionalize me or force me to do something.

But overall, this is a positive thing. This is me, trying to take control of my life and hopefully heading one step in the right direction.
I have been on the so-called counseling for 3 years by far..
and I have to say it works, it helps but it is always ME that keep fighting hard at all my problems (well at least i see them as problems) and my psychiatrist has all the way be very consoling, which is good when I am definitely broken but have no one understands me a bit..so at least the therapist will understand you or its easy for him/her to understand.

shells said:

I hope it goes well for you. I've been advised to go to counselling, but I can't bear the thought of pouring my heart out to someone I've never met before.

Each to their own though. I hope you get something positive out of it.

@Tiffy: Thank you! :) I used to go to counseling when I was younger. It's been a few years. How did your appointment go?

@Badjedidude: I probably shouldn't laugh... but, LOL.
Badjedidude said:
They're not going to institutionalize you unless you say that little green makulka bulbs from the Ardok Galaxy are infesting you with their ethereal eggs that are causing your problems...so don't worry about that.

@Sophia: Thank you so much, girl. You've been so supportive. =)

@CAS: I'm a little nervous about pouring my heart out to a stranger thing, also... But I think it will be easier if there is "no strings attached". I don't have to worry about being blackmailed, or being disappointed because someone may not know how to react to some of the things I talk about.

Then again, I'm slightly paranoid.

Thank you everyone for your positive vibes. I really appreciate it.

I saw a therapist while I was in Seattle, and overall it was a pretty positive experience.

And don't worry about the person thinking you're crazy or dangerous or anything like that. Trust me, they see way crazier on a daily basis. I used to feel ashamed b/c I always seemed to break down crying at every session. I felt like a loser for that. Then I 'eavesdropped' (thin walls and the person was a bit hysterical) on someone else's session and after that thought '****, I'm probably a relief after that person.'

;) Let us know how it goes.

I've been to therapist for about a year now with varying results, but it's nothing to be nervous about at all! They are normally very nice and understanding, and the most important- they don't judge you, so don't be afraid to talk about.. well, whatever, you know?:)

Also, here's something my therapist said to me once: "People always think that when they enter this room they have to talk about sad and horrible things, but we don't have to do that. We can talk about your day, what you ate for dinner last night, whatever!" That made me feel really at ease, and I'm sure that this holds true everywhere:)

Just don't let it bug you when they scribble something on their notepad while you're talking. :p "What are you writing? Let me see!"

----Steve

Latest posts

Back