Why is working so tough?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snickers

Reaction score
Especially retail...i'm bored out of my mind and my feet ache all the time.

...because it's not called "play." :p

Get some Dr. Scholl's for the feet. I hope things go better for you in your magical journies of the world of retail. Where do you work?

----Steve

Snickers said:
Especially retail...i'm bored out of my mind and my feet ache all the time.

I used to unload trucks for a retail store. My feet were always hurting.

The Dr. Scholl's inserts that Badjedidude mentioned is a good idea. You can also try rubbing them for a few minutes at the end of the day. It seemed to help mine some.

Ooh get one of those foot-spa thingies. I think you can get them pretty cheap nowadays, they work wonders on the feet.

I used to work in a hairdressers and then I was a waitress and both jobs forced me to be on my feet all day long with only one ten minute break to have a sit down. Ick! I used to go home crying pretty much.

Work isn't meant to be easy though, I like to be challenged at work so then when I come home I can relax and sink into my sofa thinking I've kind of achieved something...regardless of how little than achievement might be.

You should be proud you can work in retail! Is it a sales role?

Not really. It's a cashiering role at a bakery. The good part is that we could take home some bread but the bad part is the standing and the crowd-less period. I even have cushions for soles in my shoes, but it still seems to ache, especially during my morning shift, I don't know why they ache harder here.

I'm only a part-timer but it sucks working in retail still.

Haha yeah it was usually the time when I wasn't serving anyone that my feet hurt the most. I think it is because you concentrate on it more. Maybe just try and keep busy as a bee whilst you're there? (I don't know how, can you take a crossword book in or ipod or something to do whilst waiting for customers? Just an idea)

I would never be able to work in a bakery, I'd end up so fat haha, the smell of bread and cakes makes me salivate, I'd just end up drooling on the customers. Not good. Heh.

Is it a temporary job whilst you study or something? Or are you planning on moving to another job soon if you don't like it? x

Well, yeah it's temporary until I finish school and look for an office job. Oh well, retail is the same everywhere. i did bakery a few months ago too and quit and found another bakery job still lol. I don't think we can sneak in crosswords or ipods...it will be too distracting for the job.

Jobs here are pretty limited....

You just gotta think of it as a means to the end and remind yourself that, like so many things in our lives, it's only temporary. Just like you're doing. It's not easy, but it's the best way, considering the alternative is to sit around jobless and talk about 'someday' which will then never come.

This mentality let me spend 2 years clearing brush. After the thrill of working outside wore off and the wet-and-rainy/snowing-and-freezing season set in, I can't count how many times I wished I was one of you retail people working in a nice, warm, dry shopping center with a coffee maker only arms length away :p

But it was a means to an end. I was just doing it until I found a fire/ems job. It was frequently miserable. The summers were hot and sweaty, and it seemed every other day featured us being chased around the woods by swarms of bees pouring out of the ground from their hellish little lairs. The fall was wet with nowhere to get dry, and the closest thing to comfort we had was eating lunch next to a burning pile of brush and tree slash. Cold chowder and soggy sandwhiches. Luxury was a thermos of hot coffee and soup cooked in the can at the edge of the fire. Relief was quitting time, followed by an hour or two of sitting wet and silent in the pickup for the drive home, brooding over our lot in life and wondering if there could be anything else, and longing for the simple comfort of stripping down, drying off, putting on something comfortable and laying in front of the fire place or heater, or taking a warm shower and a nap. And yet by the same token, we held ourselves with some regard. We might not have liked the work, but at least we did work. Just as people of the 50s held Soviets and Communism as villains and a threat, it was our impression that we were surrounded on all sides by a welfare state, exploited by thousands who were simply lazy and living on our backs. In that light, we respected ourselves and each other despite all else, regardless of the drama that sometimes permeated a group of five guys frustrated and grouchy in the middle of the woods.

After the wet season, winter would set in in full force. For a few weeks we could cut brush in the snow and continue burning, but eventually the snow would be too deep for us to be effective. Unemployment was suddenly worse than any rainy day or bee swarm. Laying around with nothing to do and a tight budget until Spring came, or until enough snow fell for us to have work shoveling roofs and boat docks, lest they collapse and sink.

Despite this, the days were tolerable because I knew I wouldn't -have- to do it anymore once I landed my self a spot on a department somewhere. Now that I'm there, I could probably work a couple days clearing brush here and there, because it's an optional way to make more money and not an obligation.

So yeah.

Keep on truckin', you'll get where you want to be :) It just makes your goal seem that much nicer when you reach it. It's these shitty, soul-sucking jobs that make us tough. They make us grateful for that which is good, and realize that when we reach what we've truly worked for, we have genuinely earned it. I think that's a philosophy lost on a lot of my generation; the Entitlement Generation. I find it saddening.

Latest posts

Back