Entering school...

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coffee

Reaction score
Hi all, first post here. A very nice website I hope I can contribute too in some form or another. And, hopefully this is the right board for this topic.

I was was wondering about school. I'm 21 and have been out of school since 16. It's not something I'm proud of but at the time I was thought to have schizophrenia, which turned out to be false. I've got a diploma now, but only high school. Now it's the point in life where I need to enter school before it's too late. I was thinking of video journalism and English. However...that's not my dilemma.

My issue is the fact that I've been isolated for so long. It may sound crazy but I have not had any real friends since high school. I spend most of my time by myself and I'm perfectly fine with that. Much of my interests are fit for an introvert and I have no issues with solitude. However, the prospect of school is outright terrifying to me at this point. After being alone for so long, I've all but lost the ability to socialize. It's not just that I'm shy or have anxiety, but I've essentially lost traits like casual small talk. At work I never really speak to anybody. I'll either avoid direct conversation and my replies are almost machine like - cold, automatic, thoughtless. When I'm speaking, I end up talking in a stream-of-consciousness style, sadly a result of so many years of my thoughts and opinions merely being typed out and posted online. As a result, people get turned off talking to me and can't really make sense of it. There are a few people I can speak to, but only family members I've known for years.

So, my dilemma begins in preparing myself for school. I have to do it, no questions about it. I'm actually intrigued by the idea of sharing my thoughts, ideas and opinions with others in an effort to get "things" done. But what troubles me is the social interaction. If this was still high school I could easily avoid people, but in university you've got to work with them.

What I'm trying to figure out is what can I do? How can I better develop my social skills, so I can have a legit conversation with people? If I'm to do video journalism, I'm going to have to work with people. But a simple thing like this I can't seem to figure out. Small talk is as foreign to me as particle physics. Conversation is as equally as troublesome. Online I may sound like I have my thoughts in order (maybe not), but that's only because I can spend time editing what I want to say. In the real world, I just can't speak to people.

Does anybody have any advice? Be it on developing social abilities, or even just what going to college is like? Am I right to be overly anxious or is it not as bad as it seems? Pardon me if this sounds like a long rant, it makes sense in my head. :shy:

Well the only way to really develop small-talk social skills is to small talk with society. :p We could give you advice and talk about it here online, but where you REALLY relearn those skills is in actual practice with others in real life. Just go for broke! Strike up conversation with random people, even strangers...and if they're not interested, who cares? It gives you practice and you can learn what creeps people out and what interests them when you talk.

:D Welcome to the site...and don't worry about the length of your posts. We have some long-winded people here, so you'll fit right in! :p

----Steve

Just go to a bar & talk to drunks. You can sort out your conversation style while at the same time the people you talk to won't give a honeysuckle at all on how you talk.

Hahaha yeah but drunks aren't exactly going to give you the same level of conversation that a sober person would. I guess it's good to start from the bottom, though.

----Steve

Oh don't worry buddy. Once you start going to college, it will all change and you will become an extrovert.

You will never know unless you try.

Badjedidude said:
Hahaha yeah but drunks aren't exactly going to give you the same level of conversation that a sober person would. I guess it's good to start from the bottom, though.

----Steve

Or you could start reading out loud in a mirror to yourself & when you catch yourself starting to speak in a monotone way then you can just stop it & continue practicing speaking.

the problem with me in social situations is, i have such severe anxiety that i'm constantly thinking & being terrified over what people are thinking of me instead of focusing on the conversation, so I never really "hear" what people are saying to me & i just come off looking like an idiot. Also, I don't really reply with a sentence. I use one word replies.

Badjedidude said:

----Steve

Sorry for replying to you with that. I thought you were the OP.

idle said:
Badjedidude said:

----Steve

What's an OP?

SophiaGrace said:
idle said:
Badjedidude said:

----Steve

What's an OP?

original poster

I exhibit the same behavior as OP .. I think I'm possessed.
Not only do I have chronic stage fright wherever I go, It seems to be contagious like certain people copy the behavior .. only aggravating it. Making it seem bigger.

Hasn't kept me from going to school but I do watch people sitting next to me slowly get irritated and then angry. I'm definitely not somebody "fun" to sit next to.

A little bit skeptical as to how happy pills can help my problems communicating with others but I think I'll live thru it

Latest posts

Back