Movies dealing with loneliness

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TonsOfChickens

Reaction score
Hi all,

I saw a similar thread regarding songs, and the feedback was very good. So I am wondering, what are the best films you've seen that deal with loneliness? Personally, I would have to say "Henry Poole is Here." It's not "directly" about loneliness, but it definitely says something about the subject. At least it speaks to me in that sense. What are your thoughts?

"Moon" with Sam Rockwell
"The Wrestler"
"Good Dick"
"world's greatest dad"
"lilja - 4 - ever"

those are all really good picks.

ColaFree said:
Check out Donnie Darko. Awesome movie, makes you think and all;)

That movie has nothing to do with loneliness.

my_first_mister.jpg

"Jennifer is a seventeen years old misfit punk teenager that uses piercing, tattoos, wears only black clothes and dyed hair, self-inflicts injures and has fixation for death. She misses a father and a normal mother, since Mrs. Benson has trouble in the communication with her, and feels absolutely rejected. While looking for a job, she meets the forty-nine years old Randall Harris, a lonely man who owns a shopping store, and he hires her. They are opposites but with loneliness and lack of friends in common. They become close friends, and their interaction changes their behavior for good while secrets and feelings are disclosed."
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0206963/plotsummary

It was on TV a while ago, and thought it was going to be honeysuckle, but I really enjoyed watching it.

CAS said:
The ultimate one is surely 'Taxi Driver'.

I love Taxi Driver.
I'd have to say "Rules of Attraction" even though mostly I think it's about the trying to 'hook up' lonliness.

I feel much like the girl who dies in the movie.

Opened this thread just to make sure someone mentioned "Taxi Driver," and they did.

I personally like to watch "Dexter" when feeling lonely. Cause even though the guy isn't really alone, he can't relate to anyone else who isn't a serial killer. And he has to kill other serial killers to satisfy his own urge. I don't know if that changes later on in the show though, I just finished season 2.

Probably a stretch for most, but "Forest Gump" does touch on it quite a bit

oh I almost forgot - I watched an oldie called "Deep Star" I like how the movie depicts the characters as having been in space for so long with no one and nothing that they have all gone a little cuckoo

Yeah, "Taxi Driver" is a great one

I was thinking about this topic and Kes has to get a mention. It's all about loneliness and how Billy can't make relationships with people that well but makes a beautiful relationship with his falcon. It also has the most heart breaking ending in cinema history. Destroys me every time. In my opinion it's the best British film made.

Off the top of my head...

Buffalo '66 (Gallo)
The Eel [aka Unagi] (Imamura)
I Stand Alone (Noé)
Dead Man (Jarmusch)
Oldboy (Chan-wook Park)
Japón (Reygadas)
Naked (Leigh)

I highly recommend Naked, Buffalo '66 and The Eel.

DayvanCowboy said:
Off the top of my head...

Buffalo '66 (Gallo)
The Eel [aka Unagi] (Imamura)
I Stand Alone (Noé)
Dead Man (Jarmusch)
Oldboy (Chan-wook Park)
Japón (Reygadas)
Naked (Leigh)

I highly recommend Naked, Buffalo '66 and The Eel.

Oh I loved Buffalo '66. I'm a big fan of Vince Gallo and Angelica Huston was just awesome in that.

The Invisible, by far is one of my favorite movies!! Makes you all crazy emotional when you watch it. Highly recommend it. :)

One Hour Photo

I just browsed this thread to see if Taxi Driver was mentioned. :)

I love movie threads. I'm going to throw some foreign ones in here.

Lat den ratte komma in (Swedish film, Tomas Alfredson)
Das Leben der Anderen (German film, Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck)
Into the Wild (Sean Penn, becomes increasingly lonely throughout)
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (Michel Gondry)
Leon the Professional (Luc Besson)
Lars and the Real Girl (Craig Gillespie)

I definitely have way more, if you like movies I have an endless supply of the best. Give me a pm

Latest posts

Back