Meeting new people is apparently easier than I thought o_O

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silvernight

Reaction score
So a week or so ago I registered at a local site for making new friends, romances etc. Just in a few days I got quite a few offers to meet up. I'm going to follow up on a couple of them I think. Those guys seem to be decent, it doesn't take a lot to determine that, a short conversation or just seeing a picture of the person is usually enough. Possibly will make some new friends, who knows. I won't lie I'm not anxious about meeting new folks, especially guys, cause I don't have a lot of experience communicating with guys, but normally I can get over it and go anyways.

It's easier for women than for men. I joined a dating site a couple of years ago and got no interest whatsoever. In my opinion, they're a complete and utter waste of time and space.

As someone with a tiny bit of experience, not much, I have to offer words of caution. I haven't gotten more involved with any of the guys I've met up with from meet-up sites because they started throwing off creep or ******* vibes pretty quickly. The more recent meetup I had with a guy who seemed decent turned out to be a big disappointment. We talked for weeks via messages and had a good time talking in person. Then, he starts texting me late at night asking for me to come over to his place. Ugh! I had never given him any indication that I was like that, nor that I even wanted to date or be physical. Just goes to show, they may act nice but they're actually creeps. I'm sure there are decent guys out there that are like me (and us in general on here) that have a hard time with people and want to use the site to meet people of like minds... And then there are creepers who want to hook up with someone quick.

Though I have to say, getting attention through these sorts of sites makes me feel a bit better about myself. The majority of guys haven't appealed to me though...

But that aside, I hope you have better luck than me and meet someone good! Be safe :)

To echo what another user said: BE SAFE.

If possible, make sure you let someone know where you are, where you are going, etc. Even though you may be relucctant to do so. Remember, it's not hard on the internet to fake an identity. Someone could send you false pictures and information. That being said, try not to give out personal information until you are positive you can trust the person.

If you are going to meet up, make sure it is in a neutral setting. Don't give them your address to meet up at off the bat. And if possible, pack some pepper spray in your purse. It may sound like too much, but it really is better to be safe than sorry.

i've never done it (met someone off the internet) but my mom does it regularly and she tells me that when she meets someone (at a neutral, public setting) she exchanges driver's licence's with the person.. for proof of identity.

i think that sounds like a good idea

good luck silvernight :)

I've met two people from the internet. Both of them turned out to be somewhat disappointing.

Thank you all very much for concern and advice. :) Well, I guess I'll just have to try and see. Something good might come out of it or it might not. But then, at least I would have tried. ;) It's a sort of an adventure. Mind you there were some creeps.. such as one over 40 year old guy asking me to be his 'life partner' and my phone number right off the bat, not bothering too much with introductions. Another offered to make me breakfast.. at his place naturally. Right... Of course, if I'm gonna meet anyone, that will certainly be in a public place. I'm not expecting too much out of this. Basically, I joined the site to try to find someone with common interests, preferably a fantasy/sci-fi junkie like myself but no such luck yet.

Silvernight said:
Thank you all very much for concern and advice. :) Well, I guess I'll just have to try and see. Something good might come out of it or it might not. But then, at least I would have tried. ;) It's a sort of an adventure. Mind you there were some creeps.. such as one over 40 year old guy asking me to be his 'life partner' and my phone number right off the bat, not bothering too much with introductions. Another offered to make me breakfast.. at his place naturally. Right... Of course, if I'm gonna meet anyone, that will certainly be in a public place. I'm not expecting too much out of this. Basically, I joined the site to try to find someone with common interests, preferably a fantasy/sci-fi junkie like myself but no such luck yet.

fantasy/sci-fi junkie!? Ah if only you were in Auckland *sigh*

Silvernight said:
Haha!! Yeah, those guys are what I was talking about. I really hate when they ask you to meet up right away. I always put in my profiles and messages that I won't meet up right away, and they still ask. *sigh*

Have you tried plentyoffish.com? I wish I'd found it earlier. I haven't had much luck with it, but the potential is a lot higher than other sites. And it's free. You can search people by interests (and other things) :)

Latest posts

Back