Bullied made me shy

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abandonedwolf

Reaction score
I always used to be shy but since I've been bullied I have been really shy. Do people who have been bullied as an early child happen to have low self esteem?

I agree that people who have been bullied have lower self esteem most of the time because you end up feeling like less than a person because thats how you're being treated as. The torment and fear that bullying brings makes you isolate yourself from people because you're afraid and you cant relate, its hard to trust people when most of your human contact is bullying. Then it seems like, you think differently, act differently then everyone else because of the isolation. You become quicker to put up a wall against people and not let them get close, closeness to connect with someone seems so desirable but so hard to let yourself be that vulnerable after such events take place :( I know how you feel abandonedwolf :( hope things get easier as time goes on

It depends on the person, I guess.

I'm not as shy as I used to be. However, I am more paranoid about people. I'm constantly questioning their motives/intentions.

I can relate with this. I've been bullied from elementary all the way to my last day in college would you believe. I've been scrawny all my life but I decided to change it so 3 years ago I went to the gym and 3 years later (today) I'm actually big enough to be a bully (But I won't) :D

Bullying people is just bad and there really should be a law against it. Nowadays, whenever I find people being bullied I....uh...sorta "bully" the perpetrators. I won't mind having someone bust a cap in my head or end up getting stabbed because I know that I would have done something good.

I believe that a beautiful death is just as good as a beautiful life.:D

I think that bullying can make a person stronger. I was bullied quite a bit when I was younger (first part of high school)...and you know what? Being bullied drove me to become who I am today. As a result of the bullying, I lost weight, got in shape, and adopted an entirely new view on my life.

I'm now in shape and aggressively pursuing my life interests...and while I can't say that bullying did ALL of that for me, I can attest to the fact that it was the final turning point for me. It was what finally convinced me to take action.

Don't get me wrong--I'm not saying that bullying is GOOD or that it should be done. What I'm really saying is that instead of allowing a bully to break you down, use it as motivation to force yourself to grow stronger, better, etc. Bullying is only a problem if you ALLOW it to amplify your ALREADY EXISTING insecurities...but if you can use it as a driving force to work on becoming a better person...*shrug*

Well, go ahead and flame me. I have a very warrior-like view of the universe...I believe that boys fighting each other is natural. I'm always surprised when I see boys getting kicked out of school for just fighting around a bit. *shrug*

----Steve

Nothing wrong with the odd fight or gun warfare but being continually put down through school by teachers, your peers and your parents can affect you negatively. Bullying has made me what I am today which is well... not a terribly nice person. Some may grow stronger while others may fall. I envy those like Badjedidude that can take the pain and use it to their advantage. I also pity the fool that cowers in terror. I be such a fool.

oarivan said:
not a terribly nice person.

I actually think you're pretty awesome, man. o_o

So don't be too quick to judge how you've turned out.

----Steve

I spent alot of my childhood dealing with bullying, being spit on, pelted with rocks and teased constantly. I still can't trust most people. Others who know me, caught on, and seen the walls behind my warm smile tower. I hide behind it. Bullying made me careful and watchful, but didn't take away my self worth, not really. It just upset me.

I was that boy eating his lunch alone too. You know what the sad part is though? People like us could be eating our lunch alone halfway across a hall from each other and still not think to even bother talking. Even we assume that we'd rather be left alone.

Latest posts

Back