Words hurt too

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abandonedwolf

Reaction score
I've never been beat up but i'm very sensitive. If one person says something bad about me my whole day ends up a disaster. Every time someone says something bad about me it knocks my low self esteem even lower. And if friends just say "I'm kidding dude." It feels like they are not.

"Word are like bullets,
Verses are like clips"

Name the rap song that this verse comes from and get 10 points!

abandonedwolf: I can't say that I've ever had this problem. Words always seemed cheap to me, and they are. The only reason words can hurt you is because you allow them to. That means that you must already be feeling down inside and in some way believe whatever people are saying. I think that if you try to see words as having little value, you might be able to stand it a bit better when they are used against you. Seriously...words come so easily and cheaply, don't let such a little thing destroy your personal sense of worth. :)

----Steve

It's called verbal abuse.

There isn't always a clear distinction with whether someone is saying it maliciously or is trying to joke with you. As Steve said, it's usually the individual who allows the words to hurt them. I just say something right back, and I've learned that people who I thought were trying to hurt me with their words are actually cool with it when I say back something of the same caliber. Some people like to play by insulting each other, but some don't and so they take it personally.

However, I've had people say something to me as a personal attack, and that's when I turn towards them and say something that lets them know that they better give me the same respect that they want to receive. I've been working on not letting peoples' words strike me emotionally, so that I can calmly make an appropriate response, whether it may be a friend who's just joking or an ******* who needs to be out in his place.

Name the rap song that this verse comes from and get 10 points!
{Brooklyn Zu - Knock Knock}???

"Sticks N' Stones may break my bones but words may never hurt me~"

Though its a childish saying ,it is quite true and to the point. I don't believe dishing it right back would be right ,but if its the only way to show people how their words hurt then ,by all means do it. Words might hurt but in reality that's all they are, words. Do not let this drag you down until your completely depressed or whatever.

Life is also what you make it ,so try to think about the good things that day. Though i am guilty of this too, don't let them drag you down. "Talk is cheap" ,as they say. Think optimistic and try to have a good day.

Words DO hurt. "The tongue is a double edged sword" as a saying goes. If words didn't hurt, there would be no such thing as 'slander' or verbal abuse.

Another saying, "Jokes are half meant". People who say derogatory things even in a form of a joke is just insensitive on their part.

I've had complete and utter strangers say all sorts of nasty things to me. I never used to retort but now I do and I'll be violent if I have to.

Words hurt but so does an aluminum baseball bat swung squarely at someone's face. :club:

My old "best" friend from 7 years ago one day said to me one of the meaniest thing I've had someone tell me. But what hurts is, he meant it, and didn't say it to hurt me. He was just stating what to him was obvious truth, unharmful. Like saying "the weather's nice today".

I'd much rather have been punched.

Yes words do hurt. People like my sister don't understand it when I say words hurt me. She just tells me to get over myself. How lovely she is... lol. I think sensitive people are ones that understand more about things really. Anyway yeah me getting off topic here... all in all I have probably been hurt by words more then anything else.

You know what? Upon going back and listening to Brooklyn Zu "Knock, Knock," I've noticed that those lyrics ARE in that song as well...so I'm gonna go ahead and give you the points, Shy_girl12!!!

10 points for you!!! :D

----Steve

Latest posts

Back