Chris Benoit's Suicide

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

Robin

Saw his picture in a swedish, public newspaper for the first time and under that photo it read "Pro-wrestler found dead in his home" =OOOO? NNnnoooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!! Now two of my favorites are gone! Why did he have to do it?! The best are the one's who go first! =( He was the only one who never put on a show and only did what he was supposed to do, the only one. He was a terrible actor but a wonderful human being. Same schock with Steve Irwin; it's just there one day! Black on white in a final statement. Reading it is worse than hearing about it. =( **** this sucks :(

Robin I was shocked to read this. My son loves WWE and I am not too bothered about it but Chris was the only wrestler I liked. You are right, he was technically brilliant and he didn't show off the way the others do.

I am also shocked about the way it happened. Have you seen the police claim he murdered his wife and son and then killed himself? If that is true it is a complete tragedy. I am sad and I am stunned in equal measure.

I don't know what to tell my son. Chris was one of his favourites:(

michael in glasgow said:
I don't know what to tell my son. Chris was one of his favourites:(

Aww, man.. =( So he don't know yet? Well.. that doesn't really matter anyway; he's gonna find out all about it sooner or later. How old is he? I'm as far from an expert as it gets when it comes to knowing what to say to children when something like this happens. There gotta be some sort of guidance somewhere on the internet, or hopefully someone here who know a good way of solving this.

What would i do...hmm, well maybe it would be best for him to find out by himself? Depending on his age that might be a very bad idea though.. I can't say i would "simply try to tell him" either; just thinking about doing so to my own, future, son seems extremely hard. I really hope someone can help You with this, Michael. Either way, lying about it only postpones the sadness. Doing something about it early is probably the best way to get rid of the thoughts later on. Perhaps You actually can make him like some other wrestler even more before You tell him? That way it maybe won't be as hard for him? Benoit wrestled for 22 years and that might be something to lighten up when You managed to tell him; he did what he loved and gave Your son some really good time, although he probably didn't watch all of his 22 years in the business.

To get him to stick to something else as quickly as possible seems kinda logical to me. He might be afraid to have a new hero in the future if he fails to get something else to love that way and if he doesn't understand that this had nothing to do with him, by the way. I've never even been to either USA or a wrestling match but i just love that sport, even more than Monster Jam. Can't even begin to imagine how important this must be for the kids in the US.

Do something with him to make him forget about Chris while You try to make the gap, which is coming for him, to get replaced by something else. I wonder how many millions of people who would gather to honor Benoit (and SCREAM AT HIM FOR KILLING HIS ******* WHOLE FAMILY!), if it was possible to do so anywhere.

Suicide is such a waste. So many of our great artists and musicians have been lost this way! What a sad, sad story.

I found out about it earlier today the same way as you Robin (Aftonbladet), and to begin with I was deeply saddened that he had passed away. Then I learned the horrible, horrible truth, and now it's even been confirmed. He murdered his wife and son, and hung himself. I'm pretty depressed right now. Angry. Sad. I just don't know what to think! It way sound weird to some people, but I grew up watching wrestling, and while I haven't watched it for some years, I've still followed it to some degree. There are some wrestlers I've come to love, and some I've come to respect. I loved AND respected Benoit. He was one of the most respected wrestler in the business, both by the workers and fans. 22 years he had dedicated to it, going from the bottom to the top. His technical skills in the ring were amazing. I remember his match against Kurt Angle at Royal Rumble 2003, one of the best match I've ever seen. He worked his ass off in the ring, even when being treated like crap by the WWE, because he LOVED the business. Now we've found out that person, respected by so many, is nothing but a man guilty of this horrible crime. I don't know what the **** to think! A part of me wants to remember him as the wrestler he were, another part of me can't, because of this.

This whole deal is a big tradegy to the wrestling industry as a whole. When Eddie Guererro died, the whole wrestling world was struck with grief. Now one of the finest wrestlers of our time is dead, and no one wants to cry, because they can't side with a murderer. WWE have already pulled down all the merchandise. And the media seem to be all over this, and not in a good way. I feel sorry for the WWE. They're going to have a hard time dealing with this

I don't know what happened, and I probably never will, but thank you Benoit for all the good memories. R.I.P

This is so sad. I wonder if he was insane on steroids or under the influence of other drugs when he did this? It doesn't excuse it, but it makes it easier to understand. What I cannot bear is hurting an innocent baby. How could he do that?

They've found steroids in a rack in the house, read it this morning. I didn't know that drug changed You THAT much! I don't know anything about drugs; is steroids legal or not in the US? I don't even know if it's legal here in Sweden, to be honest. If it isn't (in the US) i suppose nobody can do anything about wrestlers abusing it all they want. I think Benoit was a pretty weak guy in spirit; he was no hardy boy, too kind to do something like this but probably easily affected by the **** steroids. The very fuel of that industry is a slow death-trap. Live hard and die young. =(

I'm definitely on the fan-side; more sorry for him than angry. If it wouldn't be for the steroids it would have been nothing but a quarrel, i think. I wonder if he did some OD of the drug the same day or something. I don't know how quickly steroids affect You once You... um... eat it?

Hi Robin,

I am not sure but I think that steroids are largely illegal in the United States. I know they are illegal for professional athletes to use in competitions (well against the rules anyway). I think they are illegal but fairly commonly available. They are very, very dangerous and cause many serious problems down the line including death (another pro wrestler died of a brain tumor from using steroids--forgot his name). I have heard of 'roid rage'--a person going crazy and snapping suddenly as a by product of the chemicals.

There are lots of different sorts of steroids, and many of them are readily available and legal in the US to treat many medical ailments.  Sex steroids, for instance, include both estrogen and testosterone, and many people take those all the time (and of course they exist naturally in our bodies).  

At the moment, I'm drawing a blank on the name of the type of steroids that are commonly used by athletes to increase muscle mass, but those are also available by prescription for many medical ailments.  People with asthma and other breathing disorders often take steroids to allow them to breathe more easily.  

Lonelygirl is right though, in that most athletes are not allowed to take steroids of any kind at all.  I remember a young gymnast at the Olympics a few years ago that had taken some cough syrup, which contains steroids, and she was disqualified when it showed up in testing.  Most people didn't even know there were steroids in cough syrup.  Of course, athletes who are abusing steroids aren't usually taking it in the form of cough syrup.  :rolleyes:

Elaeagnus said:
There are lots of different sorts of steroids, and many of them are readily available and legal in the US to treat many medical ailments.  Sex steroids, for instance, include both estrogen and testosterone, and many people take those all the time (and of course they exist naturally in our bodies).  

At the moment, I'm drawing a blank on the name of the type of steroids that are commonly used by athletes to increase muscle mass, but those are also available by prescription for many medical ailments.  People with asthma and other breathing disorders often take steroids to allow them to breathe more easily.  

Lonelygirl is right though, in that most athletes are not allowed to take steroids of any kind at all.  I remember a young gymnast at the Olympics a few years ago that had taken some cough syrup, which contains steroids, and she was disqualified when it showed up in testing.  Most people didn't even know there were steroids in cough syrup.  Of course, athletes who are abusing steroids aren't usually taking it in the form of cough syrup.  :rolleyes:

Just to help you out a bit since drugs are somewhat my expertise. Athletes generaly take andorgenic steroids also known as anabolic steroids. The steroids generaly taken for resipatory disorders are either corticosteroids or glucosteroids somewhat different then anabolic steroids.

Also if you read many the articles that are using facts they do happen to mention that many researchers belive steroids to cause roid rage key word there belive this is because a while back there was a study done by a Doctor Harrison Pope from harvard found very little evidince to support the so called roid rage.

Laws regaurding steroids in america are they almost all are classified as a schedule III prescription and so that means without a prescription they are illegal.

I don't realy want this to start into some kind of debate but just had to clear up facts.

Thanks Josh.  I don't think you're going to start a debate, at least not with me.  My main point was that there are a lot of different types of steroids, and many of them are available medicinally. It's been a long time since I had a class that covered steroids, so I'm glad you could expand on what I had to say and correct my error.  All I could remember were sex steroids vs. other types of steroids, since sex steroids are the ones other researchers in my area deal with. But now that you've mentioned it, I'm recalling hazy memories of glucosteroids as well.

And actually, now that you've jogged my memory, it's occurring to me that androgenic steroids must be a type of sex steroids and that sex steroids is a very broad category. Does that sound right?

Elaeagnus said:
And actually, now that you've jogged my memory, it's occurring to me that androgenic steroids must be a type of sex steroids and that sex steroids is a very broad category.  Does that sound right?

Well all steroids are pretty much considered a sex steroid since is generaly testostorne and sometimes with estrogen.

Androgenic steroids are the ones that promote the most muscle and bone mass increase. They are ones used by athletes and people with terminal disease's like cancer HIV and so on.

I read your post again with sex steroids are you refering to them used when a person is low on a certain hormone compared to say using them to help build muscle mass?

I checked my intro to neuroscience textbook while I was at work today. I knew keeping all my textbooks would come in handy someday!

According to the book, there are sex steroids, glucosteroids, plant steroids, insect steroids, and cholesterol. I had completely forgotten cholesterol was a steroid.

Sex steroids have a bunch of different types of steroids categorized under them, like testosterone, estrogen, and the androgen/anabolic ones you were talking about, Josh.

Now I have a deep desire to go back through all my textbooks and see what else I've forgotten over the years. :rolleyes:

Hi Josh,

Thank you for educating us on this topic. Are you a medic? May I ask your background? Very interesting! I didn't know that 'roid rage was not a definite--I have very shaky background on this, clearly!

lonelygirl said:
Hi Josh,

Thank you for educating us on this topic. Are you a medic? May I ask your background? Very interesting! I didn't know that 'roid rage was not a definite--I have very shaky background on this, clearly!

No I am not a medic I just happen to be in school right now to be a pharmaacist but changing that soon because don't really like it much

Latest posts

Back