Slow Computer

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

SophiaGrace

What are some reasons that a computer powered by Windows Vista would be slow?

I have Sophos Antivirus (which I'm running a scan on now)

I dont know how to run my ad-aware...though I think I have it installed.

I wish I had spybot but I dont know where to download that from.

Can anyone help me? :p

How slow is it?

Could be that its saving too many restore points and taking space lol.

Go here www.malwarebytes.com and download the free version and install and run it. Before scanning, just go to update tab and update it. It will catch 99.9% of virus or adware or whatever thing.

Well, also it just disconnects from the internet a lot more more now and i'm not sure why. Like I'll be on MSN and POOF! and then it wont let me sign back on. I'm not sure if its my college's wifi or what? But I've noticed that videos on my computer seem to be running slower as well.

I'll check out the link you posted Sanal, thanks :)

No probs. Its a light software so dont worry and also install ccleaner and clear the memory and stuff and clear some restore points.

Also see how much of RAM is taken lol. That has to be it.

what is cleaner?

What does clearing the memory mean? How would it help? How do I do that?

What are restore points? How do I clear them?

Sorry, a little stupid here :p

How do I view how much RAM I have?

Turn me into a tech geek Sanal! :p

Sanal said:
How slow is it?

Uhmn How do I measure how slow it is?

Sanal, it was going 60 Miles Per Hour 4 weeks ago, and now it's puttering around 25 MPH driving the cars behind me crazy. :p

Seriously, how does one measure slowness on one's computer? :p

I guess in time it takes huh.

Well, it seems to log on fine...normal speeds but like, large programs like WoW keep logging me off, and I keep getting logged off MSN & AIM, and also webpages wont pop up. Also, video, doesnt really run very smoothly, the sound does, but the pictures will be very jerky.

You cant measure slowness lmao I was just asking like is it slow as very slow that even your mouse cursor lags or just it loads programs slow.

ccleaner is a program which clears all your temporary files and internet history cache and all stuff like that lol

Go to filehippo.com and you can find it.

Restore points are saved to get back to a previous working session of a pc if incase it crashes. Like we save save points in a game lol. All thigs done after the save points will be undone and have to start from there again. I heard it takes 1 GB space per restore point in Vista. There is option to clear it in ccleaner lol. I wouldnt recommend clearing all of it lol but yeah you can see all of them.

To see ram lol just take task manager and click processes and see the memory usage of each program lol and see whats taking mroe of it.

well, i'm just going to let Sophos finish running for now. And then, i'll take a look at all the advice you've given me.

I'll probably have more questions later :p

I'm beginning to think that it's just wifi issues. hm.

This will work? http://compnetworking.about.com/od/wirelessfaqs/f/wifilaptoprange.htm

I just turned on something called a WLAN, and it said something about it extending ...something.

I hope i just extended my range :p

It seems to have helped :)

I declare Sanal to be the GOD of computer fixing :p

Try a program called Eusing Free Registry Cleaner. You could have registry errors that are essentially clogging up your system....and as a part of general maintenance on computers, you should defragment your hard drive at least once a month.

Do both of those things and I gaurantee that your computer will go at least a little faster, if not be completely back to normal. You could also have a lot of malware/spyware on your computer...and those can suck up your RAM like nodoby's business.

Aside from all that....you might consider a memory upgrade. *shrug*

Just some things to think about. I would definitely advise EFRC (Eusing Free Registry Cleaner) and defragmenting, though.

----Steve

ok well I ran my anti virus. all good there. Now I am attempting to run my adware on my computer...

Running adware professional v.5.0

Holy honeysuckle. I've found 24 cookies so far. What's the difference between Adware and Spyware?

Next, I'm going to defragment.

and, adware professional v.5.0 turned out to be a scam. I had to uninstall it and then install adaware from lavasoft, via cnet.com. So i did a scan with that. Then, i downloaded spybot and looked for spyware.

Now i'm all done with that, so i'm probably going to defragment today sometime :).

There are many reasons that pc used to get slow sometimes your network have some problem and the bandwidth is slow. It might be happen that the sites which you are using are taking to much time to load. You can always reconnect to network. If your computer get virus effect then also it works slow there is no question that you are using good anti viruses still some times it happens.

Adware is legitmate alternative which is offered to consumers who don't want to pay for software and programs, games are designed and distributed as freeware. Spyware is a malicious program just as Trojan Horse in that users unwittingly install the product when they install something else. I hope this will help you.

Besides the fact Vista is a bloated warthog to begin with, checking all the virus/spyware/adware stuff, how much memory you have, how much hard drive space is available for swap space when needed, take a look at how much stuff loads when it starts up. One of the things we would see a lot of when people complained about slow PCs were lots & lots of start up items. When you install applications, a lot of times they ask "Would you like to have such and such start automatically with Windows?". Most people tend to just click through all that stuff and let it all install. A lot of those start up helper things don't really need to be there and take resources while running. Figure out what each one does and ask yourself "Do I need this?" Another trick I used to do with my shop machines was to load them fresh with all the applications we needed and make an image (exact copy/backup). I kept all the documents on separate hard drives and if a PC got "spooky" I would just use the image and restore it back to the fresh and new point again.

After being involved with the tech industry since the Vic-20/C-64 days, working in prototype labs for a large, evil, undisclosed corporation, working for service companies, running my own place, etc... my personal solution to slow PCs was to get rid of all of them when I got rid of the business. I bought a basic Macbook for travel and freelance work, plus a bigger faster Macbook Pro for around the house. I get copies of various versions of Windows in the mail when they come out that I suppose I could install with bootcamp on my macs, but haven't had a need for anything like that in the last 1.5 years. You would be surprised to see how many actual Microsoft employees and ex-employees (not sub-contractors and temps) use Macs at home.

Well I don't think that it is your virus problem to get PC slow. As I believe that you have lots of temporary files in your temp folder as well as you have lots of cookies in your PC. As I suggest you to remove all of the temp files from your PC and then you can check your system. You also have to delete all of the cookies. Hopefully you will surely get the speed.

There's also one little stupid trick nobody mentioned if I've seen right.
Joneswilliamsc might be right, but there's one more thing. :p Ever defragmented files on disks? (right click on disk drive in "my computer" -> properties -> tools -> defragment) Can be very helpful sometimes. Should run that frequently (once a month or so) anyway.

Latest posts

Back