The Duality of Solitude

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phaedron

Reaction score
“LONELINESS EXPRESSES THE PAIN OF BEING ALONE AND SOLITUDE EXPRESSES THE GLORY OF BEING ALONE.”–PAUL TILLICH

It is my experience that you must always take the good with the bad. This happens regardless of where you find yourself. It will be the same if you are alone or if you're in a relationship.

To those experiencing loneliness, the good aspects of being alone are there for the taking and reminding us of them may make the experience more pleasant, however there is also the risk that the full glory of solitude will overwhelm us which may further reinforce our loneliness.

Your thoughts?

My past is full of attempts to gain solitude what you are mentioning. I dont think i am happy that way. I dont think history of mankind would suggest it either.
Good old wise men should be correct indeed who said that man is a social animal.

I will say that when I am alone I always get more accomplished, when I am not feeling depressed. I mean I made my first website when I was alone. I don't know solitude provides me with energy and time to do stuff.

AFrozenSoul said:
I will say that when I am alone I always get more accomplished, when I am not feeling depressed. I mean I made my first website when I was alone. I don't know solitude provides me with energy and time to do stuff.

We all need time to be alone, to think, to dream, to wonder.
Not that we need all the time to think, to dream, to wonder.

nothingnessistic said:
We all need time to be alone, to think, to dream, to wonder.
Not that we need all the time to think, to dream, to wonder.
I agree which is why no matter how much I love someone. I will always need time away from them.

I noticed that when I was alone while when I had someone. My alone time was much more productive.

Maybe a word I use to discribe this state of being is serenity or being serene.
One can be serene with people or without people.

I had to take a major time out in my early recovery. (about a year) Doctor's orders.
He bascailly told me I was going to die if I went back to work and continued to live my life style.
I needed to heal and also find myself. Errr...i guess he thought i was lost.lol
Not only was I torn up from the floor up from drugs and alcohol abused.
Life didn't make any fucken sense to me..that's why I checked out all time.
The world seem like such as hostile place, fucken shallow or retarded to me.

I found that peace and serenity in nature. Time alone from fucken people !!!!!
Not isloated in a room with 4 walls...but out in the open with life.
I was able to distinguished between reality and society.
In nature there wasn't, this is wrong , that is right. This is better and you suck.lol....There just is.
In nature I didn't have to do a god **** mother fucken thing ...no one watching over my shoulders.
No fucken guilt..No fucken shame. No hate. No fucken opionions. No dramma. No trumma. No stress.
In nature I could scream at the fucken top of my lungs as loud as i can of all the hatered and anger i had inside of me.
I can also cry my fucken heart out. I can also be happy too. I can also have a conversation with my maker (god).

Day after day...I slowly learned how to be in the moment. I learned how to let go. I healed. I was okay with me. I guess I found myself.
I also become more aware or awaken. I also notice the wisdom of life in nature. I also felt the uncondition love my maker has for me.
Peace of mind. Peace in my heart. Peace in my soul.

It is one of the reason why I like a spend sometime alone. (maintenence, cleaning or rechargeing myself).
It's like taking shower before I go out into the world/society...I'm fresh and clean. (for my mind and soul/spirit)
It's also like a taking a shower at the end of my day...so that i don't carry the dirt and grime of daily living into tomorrow.
I've also learned how to have filters/boundaries of people as a protective suit. Kind of like protective clothing for my mind and soul as I do daily inneractions with poeple.

If i can...I like to take a drive into the mountains or to a cliff where the surfs crash against the rocks.
Places away from people, away from the rat race of society....for a little while.
I like to spend time alone each day taking a simple walk , sit in my garden, strum by guitar or watch the sunset/sunrise.
Big...big difference between this and isolating myself in a room from life.

I already knew how to obtain this state of being. It's just like anything else in my life. If you don't use it...you lose it.
Or it's a dimishing skill. While having knowlege and epxerinced might help me. Never the less, It'll only work, if I work it.
The more i pratice it or incorporat it into my daily life. The easier or natrual for me to sustains these habits/triats or state of being.
It makes my life more manageable if I apply and practice these things in my life each day..10-15 mins...instead of waiting til I crash and burn
every 5 or 10 years then having to take a major time out or overhaul.

To Lonesome Crow
If this is True, if you can really practice this then..Sashtang Namaskar (hats off) to you.

Strength is Life, Weakness is death.

I like that quote. A lot. There is indeed a huge gap between loneliness and solitude, although both require being alone. An appreciation of solitude is something only the strongest souls can accomplish, I think. Most of us need constant validation from others to appreciate anything.

I'm ashamed to admit I had to look up Paul Tillich to see who he was. Why the heck don't we learn about these people in church or Sunday school? Seriously, if we had discussed Protestant views on contemporary existentialism instead of the same old watered down scriptures week after week I might not have dropped out of church at 16.

Latest posts

Back