Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

teach

Hi.  I find myself, once again, sitting at home on a holiday.  I'm 35, school teacher, mother of a great kid who is currently on visitation.  I've never been one to build great friendships.  Oddly, I'm in a relationship, been in one for nearly 6 years, but he's extremely emotionally detached, so often I find myself alone.  No, it's not a case of him cheating, he's just not a relationship-type, as he's been alone as well, until I came along, and just doesn't know how to be in a relationship.  So, what to do.  

I read a lot, watch movies, not hesitant to go out to the movies myself, but wish I wasn't in the position of being a 35-year old, non-married woman, as there isn't really a big welcome wagon, at least around here, for this position.  If you're 35, with kids, you're also married and hanging out with your other married friends while your kids play together, and the menfolk talk.  At least that's what I'm used to seeing and am exposed to.

Hello teach !

I got inscribed in this forum a few days ago and found it to be very helpful. Check out my "new member post" if you want to. I sound pretty crazy, but I'm a nice person, and I live thanks to Poetry, Cinema ( I too don't hesitate in going to the movies alone either ) and Philosophy. I'd be glad to talk if you want to.

Thank you for the welcome, RP. :)

I believe your life experiences, at a mere age of 20, give you plenty to think and write about. A mixed blessing, I guess. Good for a writer, but still bad for any soul.
You live on a boat. That's pretty cool, actually. Nine cats, your sister must be in Heaven. :)

What movies have you seen lately?

teach said:
Thank you for the welcome, RP.  :)

I believe your life experiences, at a mere age of 20, give you plenty to think and write about.  A mixed blessing, I guess.  Good for a writer, but still bad for any soul.  
You live on a boat.  That's pretty cool, actually.  Nine cats, your sister must be in Heaven.  :)

What movies have you seen lately?

FUN movies mainly it's summer after all ! :) : Live Free or Die Hard, Pirates of the Caribbean 3...
But I watched yesterday Garden State ( a very sensitive movie), and the day before that Easy Rider

Fun movies for the summer, I have to agree. I went to see Evan All Mighty last week. So much better than Bruce All Mighty, more of a family-type than Jim Carrey's version.

I'll try to see it when it comes out in France (some weeks from now I fear...)

By the way, what do you teach... teach ? :)

:)

I teach algebra 1 and algebra 2 to really bright 7th and 8th graders (13-14 year olds).

Ah...
Being a student of Literature, I've never been very skilled with numbers. My favorite numbers are those on the upper hand corners of books ! ;)

Yet I have a great respect for mathematics for their philosophical value, and their artistic value. Have you seen "A Beautiful Mind" about the troubled but brilliant mathematician John Nash ? It's a remarkable movie !

Yes, that was a really good movie. I'm a big reader as well, I use books as my vice. I teach math because I'm good at it, and enjoy it. I've also taught english and social studies. Right now, I'm back in school myself, working on a visual impairment degree, so I'll be learning braille and nemeth code (math). It's been a while since I've been in class, I missed it.

Learning braille ! It must be fascinating. I wonder if one's reading impressions are the same if one reads "visually" or "tactilely", how the type of reading influences our imagination.

For me, it's a bunch of memorization. Thankfully, there's a pattern involved. I'm learning to read it, visually, not tactilely. I'm just starting with the braille. My course for that begins in August, but I've gone ahead and started working on it. Right now, I'll be starting an anatomy and physiology of the eye class, Monday. I'm looking forward to that. I think a lot of what we can imagine goes with our sensory experiences, regardless of how we read it. What someone imagines a rabbit to look like could be completely different, when they read about it, if they've never seen or felt a rabbit. It would be interesting to know what they would imagine.

"It would be interesting to know what they would imagine. "
It would be indeed. I've found that many blind musicians (especially Ray Charles and Stevie Wonder) remain very visual, as if to compensate, through words, the lack of a perceptible outside reality.

It was great talking to you, teach ! Sorry, but I've got to leave (dinner time...). I hope we can chat again !

Hi Teach,

Hello, from a fellow teacher!

What is a kind, intelligent, attractive woman such as yourself doing in a relationship that doesn't meet your needs?

I know how you feel! I'm 31, married, with one child. My life is pretty lonely, to be honest.
My husband is very kind, but he doesn't meet a lot of my emotional and physical needs.

It's hard being with someone like that, but yet I know that no relationship is perfect.

I also love reading, movies, philosophy, some poetry, fine art, travel, ethnic cuisine, etc.

What are you reading lately? Embarassed to admit, I'm reading Harry Potter. (In preparation for the new book coming out soon).

Braille seems wonderful. I really wish I knew some blind people. I love that thought you shared--how would a rabbit look to someone who's never seen or touched one?
I did have a blind student once. He had been born with a problem with his eyes, so he had no memory of color. I described that we think of colors such as blue and green as feeling cool, and colors such as orange and red as feeling warm. So fascinating!

LG

Great color ideas, LG!

I'm not really sure why I'm in the relationship, when I think about it. I've been divorced for 7 years, and never was in a rush to find someone afterwards. I know that if I were to break it off, I wouldn't start looking again. I'm 35, I don't see myself having more children, so if it were to end, I think I'd be content to be just mom until she was on her own (no rush there, believe me!). I often feel I've had my chance, I chose wrong, but now is not really my time, it's my daughters time to grow, and it's my job to help that. It's probably the exact opposite of what I see a lot at school, as you do too, I'm sure. Often we see the single parent who is more concerned with their boyfriend/girlfriend, or with going out than with what's going on with their child.

But, oh well. Instead of going out, I read. A lot. Don't be embarrased about reading Harry Potter, I do that too!!! :) In fact, I've just read through them again for prep for the upcoming book as well. I plan to go to the Barnes and Noble party on the 20th. It was fun the last time I went.
I'm reading a book now, called Blink, by Ted Dekker. It's pretty good. I will read anything as long as the plot holds me. Other books I've read lately include The Last Sin-Eater (good!)and The Secret Life of Bees (not so good).

teach said:
Great color ideas, LG!

I'm not really sure why I'm in the relationship, when I think about it. I've been divorced for 7 years, and never was in a rush to find someone afterwards. I know that if I were to break it off, I wouldn't start looking again. I'm 35, I don't see myself having more children, so if it were to end, I think I'd be content to be just mom until she was on her own (no rush there, believe me!). I often feel I've had my chance, I chose wrong, but now is not really my time, it's my daughters time to grow, and it's my job to help that. It's probably the exact opposite of what I see a lot at school, as you do too, I'm sure. Often we see the single parent who is more concerned with their boyfriend/girlfriend, or with going out than with what's going on with their child.

But, oh well. Instead of going out, I read. A lot. Don't be embarrased about reading Harry Potter, I do that too!!! :) In fact, I've just read through them again for prep for the upcoming book as well. I plan to go to the Barnes and Noble party on the 20th. It was fun the last time I went.
I'm reading a book now, called Blink, by Ted Dekker. It's pretty good. I will read anything as long as the plot holds me. Other books I've read lately include The Last Sin-Eater (good!)and The Secret Life of Bees (not so good).

Hi Teach,

I know what you mean. I teach adults, but many of them are single mothers. Some of them, maybe even many of them, are very selfish. They are more concerned about running around with boyfriends than their kids. This raises an entire generation of kids who act like hooligans and then repeat the process.

However, to see the other side of the coin, you deserve companionship, too. And settling for less than you deserve--you wouldn't want your daughter to do that, would you? I think being a role model is very important. In the sense that you want to model a good healthy relationship for your child. I don't think you should settle for crumbs. I'd rather see you entirely single than taking someone's scraps. Sorry if this is too blunt.

Harry Potter books are great! I am looking forward to the new one. Didn't know about the party--that sounds like fun!

Hugs,

LG

Hey teach welcome to the site.

:D

teach said:
Hi.  I find myself, once again, sitting at home on a holiday.  I'm 35, school teacher, mother of a great kid who is currently on visitation.  I've never been one to build great friendships.  Oddly, I'm in a relationship, been in one for nearly 6 years, but he's extremely emotionally detached, so often I find myself alone.  No, it's not a case of him cheating, he's just not a relationship-type, as he's been alone as well, until I came along, and just doesn't know how to be in a relationship.  So, what to do.  

I read a lot, watch movies, not hesitant to go out to the movies myself, but wish I wasn't in the position of being a 35-year old, non-married woman, as there isn't really a big welcome wagon, at least around here, for this position.  If you're 35, with kids, you're also married and hanging out with your other married friends while your kids play together, and the menfolk talk.  At least that's what I'm used to seeing and am exposed to.

Latest posts

Back