Stuck in a rutt

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue Sky

Reaction score
I'm stuck!
I'm unemployed, no relationship, only have one true friend, and live alone. I find my self during the day just drifting between the internet and the television, though I do walk my dog in the mornings and thats about it. I have been applying for jobs and have had interviews but have had no luck so far. The reason for my unemployment is because I had alcohol and depression issues in the past. I have been given all sorts of advise on how to deal with my situation but I just don't seem to be getting anywhere. I'm not a lazy person but I just don't want to do anything. I have been to support groups before, specially for the alcohol problem but I found that after a while that alot of the sharing that goes on can be quite depressing and also repetitive if the groups are small. I have also done some volunteering work in a community garden, but I'm just not interested in gardening. I haven't quite given up, but in my eyes the future looks very bleak. Has anyone else on this site ever been in this type of situation?? I would like to hear from you if you have.

Hey Blue,

Not everyone was meant to work, and not everyone meant to work at all times. Can you survive on welfare? If so, then just take it easy. You are a kind, decent person. I know what you mean about not wanting to do anything. It seems sometimes that all I want to do is eat junk food, watch TV, read, and use the Internet to forget about reality. Reality Bites! (Name of a movie!) and sometimes, it sucks, too!

Hi LG

Financially I'm ok, well at the moment anyway. I have been "taking it easy" for far to long, it's driving me crazy! I feel so, so alone, depressed and bored with my life!! As for work goes, I have been solidly employed since I left school exept for the last two years. So if I got a job I shouldn't have any problems. It's getting a job that's the problem. Going for an interview when your self asteem is so low is extremely hard to do. But I have to do something. I just don't want to go on feeling like this anymore...

Blue

Hi Blue,

I know what you mean. I've had depression for my entire life, but particularly the last few years. I've gained a lot of weight, look like crap, and feel that way, too! It would be terrifying for me try to stuff my gut into a suit and go get a real job!

Have you considered counseling? Maybe having someone to trust and look forward to seeing each week-- amale or female counselor who can really listen--could help your self-esteem and help you get in the right direction.

In any case, don't give up before you've given it a hard try.

LG

G'day LG

Yes, I started going to a counselor about two weeks ago. So it's only early days yet. I do find that talking to someone one on one does help alot. And I will act on the advise that I get. I have found in the past that when I get depressed and go down there is something deep inside me that makes me bounce back, if that makes any sense. Maybe it's the dark feelings of loneliness and depression that makes me want to fight it.

It's up to us to be our own catalyst. Nothing can change unless we put the effort and time in that it takes for it TO change.

The key is in the strength of will.

Blue Sky said:
I'm stuck!
I'm unemployed, no relationship, only have one true friend, and live alone. I find my self during the day just drifting between the internet and the television, though I do walk my dog in the mornings and thats about it. I have been applying for jobs and have had interviews but have had no luck so far. The reason for my unemployment is because I had alcohol and depression issues in the past. I have been given all sorts of advise on how to deal with my situation but I just don't seem to be getting anywhere. I'm not a lazy person but I just don't want to do anything. I have been to support groups before, specially for the alcohol problem but I found that after a while that alot of the sharing that goes on can be quite depressing and also repetitive if the groups are small. I have also done some volunteering work in a community garden, but I'm just not interested in gardening. I haven't quite given up, but in my eyes the future looks very bleak. Has anyone else on this site ever been in this type of situation?? I would like to hear from you if you have.

Latest posts

Back