is this the start of depression...

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edgecrusher

Reaction score
for the past week out of nowhere i am acting completely different. normally all i do is play video games. i am finding it hard to get into any game right now. to the point of i havent even put one in in 2 days which is a while for me. i have tried but after an hour i lose interest. its like i dont get excited about the things i like anymore. ive been having trouble sleeping for a while but i always made myself get out of bed by a certain time so that i wasnt just laying around all day. im staying in bed later now because i cant convince myself to get up. so then i end up not doing anything but being on the computer for an hour or 2 before i have to go to work. i kind of feel like i am slipping away here.

edgecrusher said:
for the past week out of nowhere i am acting completely different. normally all i do is play video games. i am finding it hard to get into any game right now. to the point of i havent even put one in in 2 days which is a while for me. i have tried but after an hour i lose interest. its like i dont get excited about the things i like anymore. ive been having trouble sleeping for a while but i always made myself get out of bed by a cetain time so that i wasnt just laying around all day. im staying in bed later now because i cant convince myself to get up. so then i end up not doing anything but being on the computer for an hour or 2 before i have to go to work. i kind of feel like i am slipping away here.
dunno..sure it ain't video game overload? I love music but it's good to give it a rest for awhile..I don't know who you are has anything happened recently that has made you think this way..what's going on? what's at the root of this feeling?

Mike Moose said:
edgecrusher said:
for the past week out of nowhere i am acting completely different. normally all i do is play video games. i am finding it hard to get into any game right now. to the point of i havent even put one in in 2 days which is a while for me. i have tried but after an hour i lose interest. its like i dont get excited about the things i like anymore. ive been having trouble sleeping for a while but i always made myself get out of bed by a cetain time so that i wasnt just laying around all day. im staying in bed later now because i cant convince myself to get up. so then i end up not doing anything but being on the computer for an hour or 2 before i have to go to work. i kind of feel like i am slipping away here.
dunno..sure it ain't video game overload? I love music but it's good to give it a rest for awhile..I don't know who you are has anything happened recently that has made you think this way..what's going on? what's at the root of this feeling?

well i havent hit "video game overload" ever in my life because all i do is play video games and watch movies. its my escape from the world i dont fell like i belong in or understand. a failed thing with this girl i like at my work last year has kind of stuck with me. but now its more turned into i realize that i am almost 30 and have never been in a relationship rather than it being specifically about her. thats been bothering me a lot lately. also i have no idea what to do with myself and i am just drifting through life alone right now. this has been my life for a while now, maybe its finally starting to catch up to me.

Sounds like the start of a realisation that you want more out of life.

I just want to say something about depression which may or may not be related to your situation. I think some people are quick to jump to the conclusion they're depressed because they like the idea of an off-the-shelf solution, like anti-depressants, which they hope will make their lives better without too much trouble. But while there are definitely clinical cases where anti-depressants or other medication are needed, taking these drugs as an alternative to making positive changes in your life can be a mistake. If you have good reason to be dissatisfied with your life then that may make you sad, but it doesn't make you depressed. It could just be your mind and body are saying: we can't keep going on like this. In which case, you should start thinking about things you can actively do to improve the situation.

Yea, I would say you're realizing now that you want more from life. I love gaming myself, but I want more in life than just that.

well i havent hit "video game overload" ever in my life because all i do is play video games and watch movies. its my escape from the world i dont fell like i belong in or understand. a failed thing with this girl i like at my work last year has kind of stuck with me. but now its more turned into i realize that i am almost 30 and have never been in a relationship rather than it being specifically about her. thats been bothering me a lot lately. also i have no idea what to do with myself and i am just drifting through life alone right now. this has been my life for a while now, maybe its finally starting to catch up to me.
yeah..I'm stuck with that horrid empty feeling..I'm 39 and most of the people I know are with someone.Mind you some of the compromises they have to endure make me wanna barf..some of them don't seem compatable at all..and I bet they all fart in bed..and some of them have to be with each other 'cause they got kids and debt's and they think they won't find anyone else who will put up with neurotic bullshit..and when they make love they will probably be thinking of who they would really like to be with..and as they lie there in a sweaty pool of smelly filth the intense emotion will hit them that they have just done it again to someone who they lost intrest in years ago..and everyday when they look in the mirror they see the age creep in and the oppotunities for them to be who they really are swirl down the plughole..
But then they all go down the disco and pretend that they have got it better than anyone else..
haha and i wonder why I live alone!!:D

just like video games my friends, if you treat life like a video game then things might turn out good for a lot of depressed people. Im not saying to go out with a gun or a knife in hand, rather live your life in utter dependence to survive. Maybe life for a lot of people are depressing because you make and do things that are depressing. No point in saying that your depressed over and over again and expect that your life will turn out ok.

notice that in any video game there is a requirement, a time limit. That's real life my friend real life, kick's you in the arse just to let you know your already nearing your age limit for fun and game. Do not forget that there is only 24 hours in one day wherein you can only live so many hours per day in comfort the rest of the hours you use for rest.

Anyway, that's only my opinion nothing more.

If you're depressed I think you would know it. I hit that point with video games myself. Actually, for the last year I have taken a greater interest in whats happening in this world thats so much bigger then myself. Ever since learning about the Illuminati, and the reason I'm one way and the rest of the world is something else, it made me angrier, more hopeless, but there is also the realization of that time limit, and an anticipation of what is to come.

Solitude and Selfishness inevitably go hand in hand, not that it makes you a selfish person when dealing with others, but when you're alone all the time, what can you do but be selfish? I think, at the very least you need a vacation. Maybe Lonekiller and a few others should make his camping trip game a reality. Would probably be a lot better then making my trapped on a desert island game a reality, lol.

I can only wonder what would happen if we all met in real life...

I think it might not be such a bad thing. Video games are fun and very addicting but they kill productivity. Maybe now if something comes up you wont have video games as an excuse to go out and do it.

I think it's the start of a positive change in your thoughts/ life rather than the beginnings of depression. This is coming from someone who has like 800+ hours on the original disgaea, thousands of hours on cs1.6, thousands of hours on ragnarok online, and probably another thousand hours on aika online. Then the hours spend on tons of other shorter games. I've hit the point where games just don't do much for me anymore. Movies and reading fiction don't do it for me anymore either. I stopped getting any joy from these activities.

So take away all the time spent gaming, and watching movies and now you have tons of time to go do those things that you've always meant to do but never got around to.

Kamya's signature is a good place to start. Everything is indeed upside down, to where a lot of things really aren't worth doing. As for video games, I've played them my whole life, especially RPGs. I've logged about 5 years worth of hours playing WoW, 3 years designing my own games, some of which still aren't complete. Playing and designing hacks of classic games has become an interesting hobby. I was feeling this way in 2008 and wound up going from 28 with no relationship to living with someone for a year, having my money drained, and then spending another year in total despair when she betrayed me. So whatever you do, make sure you know what you're doing or you end up worse off then when you started.

Latest posts

Back