the official obscure music thread.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dead

Reaction score
hey guys.

since music is one of the biggest pleasures in life for so many of us, i thought that it would be nice to throw some names around.

the idea behind THIS thread, (since we have a "what are you listening to now" one already), is to give a bit of well deserved limelight to music that well deserves attention, but is for some reason not well known/forgotten.

lets prove that fame does not equal quality :)

i suggest, that since the things we'll talk about will not be well known, we try and give a short expose' - genre, when/where, what makes it so cool to us and so on.

Talus, Minus, Mike Moose - join in. something tells me that you have a few names that aren't thrown about as much as they should be.

___

sheeesh that was a long rant.

anyway. i don't know how obscure this is, but there we go :)

Michael Manring is an American electric bassist, that played with quite abit of different bands/musicians.

from Wikipedia:

Manring has a solid musical knowledge and uses the bass as a solo instrument usually in alternate tunings, with additional possibilities and patterns invoked on the fly with lever-activated de-tuners and bridges, somewhat like a pedal steel guitar. He wants to show that the electric bass can be used in a musically rich and expressive way.[3] Manring occasionally plays on two (or even three or four) basses at the same time during live performances. Manring is also a composer of experimental music, mixing technology and fretless bass with the sounds of kitchen implements and cardboard boxes, evidenced on his "Book of Flame" solo album.

He is a technical virtuoso, generally using his bass in very different ways and more like a guitar. Mostly he plays a fretless bass, which gives him ample possibilities to change tone and pitch just like on acoustic bass. Manring is rhythmically very versatile and often uses polyrhythms.[3] He's said to do "... things on the electric bass that haven’t been done before, are nearly impossible, and (are) illegal in most states."[7]. A very special technique used by Manring is the tuning change of single or several strings in the course of playing a piece.

[youtube]6eTBc7aWBGw[/youtube]

Hollow Ground are a NWOBHM band, that only released 6 songs, (one EP) in i think 1980, and disbanded, only reuniting on stage once since then, (to the best of my knowledge) in a german concert in 2007.

[youtube]dnXiWRiafcY[/youtube]

the stage is yours :)

Mike - good one! like :)

oh, and the way to link youtube things straight in is to take just the youtube code appears like this: watch?v=RM2yCE7rh5g, cut the part after the =, (RM2yCE7rh5g) and do this:
[ youtube ]RM2yCE7rh5g[ /youtube ]. (remove spaces from inside the brackets)

okey doke..here goes..
The haunted-1-2-5
[youtube]KZXkzao9KvA[/youtube]

The stereo shoestring-on the road south
[youtube]yb6ob5Exl4U[/youtube]

The velvet illusions-the velvet illusions
[youtube]dMGKvChQ2QA[/youtube]

13th floor elevators-nobody to love
[youtube]gP2c07Y-68Y[/youtube]

I absolutely love Michael Manring. In fact just about everyone that's with Candyrat is worth listening to.

Anyway, instrumental guitar stuff is my thing. So here's what I've spent a very large portion of my time listening to lately. Some obscure stuff, some not so obscure stuff, but it's all good :)

Andy Mckee - Most people know of him by now, but just in case you haven't heard.
[youtube]Ddn4MGaS3N4[/youtube]

Michael Hedges - This is the guy who started the whole percussive acoustic thing.
[youtube]4P9mmZyGb4s&feature=fvw[/youtube]

Jesse Cook - I guess you'd call this world music. Either way the man is crazy with the nylon string guitar
[youtube]a-dUbcYIZio[/youtube]

Paco De Lucia - Flamenco Extraordinaire
[youtube]2oyhlad64-s[/youtube]

Marcus Miller - Plays slap bass like nobody else
[youtube]NHdN_O5k3WM[/youtube]

Moving on to electric guitars...

Andy Timmons - My personal favorite, and that's all I'll say
[youtube]uLN344OuUQY[/youtube]
[youtube]FC-NVauJ7y8[/youtube]

Larry Carlton & Steve Lukather - Well it's from a DVD, but ****. It's awesome.
[youtube]GCJ1NfULyTA&feature=related[/youtube]

Marco Sfogli - Reminds me a bit of Dream Theater. Very cool stuff.
[youtube]c-1Dbc1TH8c&feature=related[/youtube]

Andy James - Full on shred.
[youtube]5agf9bHfmMM[/youtube]

Guthrie Govan - Fusion-y shred
[youtube]-yPEewaalik[/youtube]

Liquid Tension Experiment - The guys from DreamTheater go instrumental
[youtube]edqH0ofRQrM[/youtube]

Greg Howe - Ok, so I like my shred. This guy makes me want a Cornford Amp. Anyone got a spare $6000 laying around I can have? :)
[youtube]PQ6ZjXr21hI[/youtube]

--------------------------------
Enough Instrumental - Some other stuff I like. May or may not be obscure

Mother Mother - Silly little local band that makes me feel happy every time I listen. Call it indie pop
[youtube]wiXvDsHfpdk&feature=related[/youtube]

Porcupine Tree - Tough to pick one song by these guys... So I'll pick two. The first is their softer side... The second isn't.
[youtube]_bFMpgwQMOw[/youtube]
[youtube]F7ocHEmS4R4[/youtube]

Opeth - They were obscure when I first started listening to them 8 or so years ago, but much less so now. Regardless if you haven't heard of them, go listen. The first song is soft (relatively speaking) the second is anything but.
[youtube]HFFWDUhuMDg[/youtube]
[youtube]g1xqSeSRllg[/youtube]

Robert Randolph & the Family Band - Blues? What's that doing here?!
[youtube]piqZ3vGBswY[/youtube]

Grady - Rauchy blues rock
[youtube]oeeXQ_iqBE4[/youtube]

Brian Kahanek - Instrumental song, but not an instrumental artist. If you've played Guitar Hero 2 you might know this one
[youtube]Un2dR14ojpk[/youtube]

Rich Hope - More raunchy blues rock
[youtube]Zaf-_MmzeVo[/youtube]

That's if for now (yes, you can all breath a sigh of relief at that). Sorry for taking up a huge amount of space :)

Oh... *points to sig* it can't get much more obscure than that! :D

The Outcasts-1523 blair
[youtube]CkfnzTL0bko[/youtube]

The Motives-I can hear colours
[youtube]QWWOxUNDhGU[/youtube]

the sweet acids-that creature
[youtube]864PqHjTCrg[/youtube]

The Grodes-cry a litle longer
[youtube]L2tqgdI84Ww[/youtube]

Godspeed you black emperor-moya
[youtube]Rsf2LoLk3SA[/youtube]

Apple-Buffalo Billycan
[youtube]GaHsPPPQTt4[/youtube]

dead kennedys-halloween
[youtube]-n2Bnh4T8YE[/youtube]

crass-big A little A
[youtube]YIdcDL64KCE[/youtube]

Guitar Wolf-jet generation
[youtube]s9cVPD97Wcs[/youtube]

TALUS!!!!! I like The music in soundclick sOOOOOOOO much
I see that you put Opeth which is a really good band I like their music especially the albums Damnation which is calm but dark lol and My arms your hearse and some more ( I'll post some songs later...)

Mike: 13th floor elevators and haunted are so awesome!

dramaqueen said:
TALUS!!!!! I like The music in soundclick sOOOOOOOO much

Thanks, I appreciate it :D Got a couple new songs in the works that'll be up soon too.

Mike, lots of really cool stuff there. Thanks

my turn. oh boy do i have some "obscure" stuff for yous!!

Tera Melos (check it! the drummer has nothing for a drumset yet is still going all in!)
[youtube]n9v-y45F-po[/youtube]

Hella (yes band called hella, the drummer zack hill is a king on the skins, another drum idol of mine)
[youtube]jdMDcG3zAEI[/youtube]

Zach Hill (entertaining to watch,srsly)
[youtube]ps9mpGOUNto[/youtube]

Quasimoto (obscure underground hip hop remix, booyaaah!)
[youtube]K4cLF18I-5E[/youtube]

thats enough for now

one love!!!!!!

Hella! I'd completely forgotten about them. I saw them open up for someone (I wish I could remember who) a year or two back, and I just kind of remember staring at them slack jawed the entire set wondering who the hell these guys were and where on earth did they come from.

The shadows of knight-I'm gonna make you mine
[youtube]5XZGAg41Qf0[/youtube]

Link Wray-the shadow knows
[youtube]Y9DluI703Fk[/youtube]

The Traits-Nobody loves the hulk
[youtube]n2OI7sogwqY[/youtube]

Talus dunno if you know this one 'hope you'll like it
hell they're fast..
[youtube]wxaFANthouM[/youtube]

Those bands sounds like metallica..
[youtube]PTjEdhjAUrE&feature=related[/youtube]
[youtube]wD6C6NOVqVU[/youtube]

And..
[youtube]-5oL4Js-prc[/youtube]

bauhaus-bela lugosi's dead
[youtube]OKRJfIPiJGY[/youtube]

the birthday party-release the bats
[youtube]IWUXRmX8lg0[/youtube]

Profanum is an obscure and widely unknown Polish band that split-up several years ago. Their music is a unique blend of black metal, dark ambient and classical music. They eventually ditched both the guitar and the bass in favor of a more symphonic and classical sound, while still keeping the fast drumming and vocal style of black metal.

[youtube]kI0ZQUXiVe4[/youtube]

The chob-we're pretty quick
[youtube]JM7mxugAG1o[/youtube]

syd barrett-terrapin
[youtube]5ZaZaWcdtbY[/youtube]

The velvet underground-ocean
[youtube]ItbfBcm1Aik[/youtube]

Obsidian said:
Profanum is an obscure and widely unknown Polish band that split-up several years ago. Their music is a unique blend of black metal, dark ambient and classical music. They eventually ditched both the guitar and the bass in favor of a more symphonic and classical sound, while still keeping the fast drumming and vocal style of black metal.

[youtube]kI0ZQUXiVe4[/youtube]

obsidian, that's awesome.

Latest posts

Back