What to do? Please Help!

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ed2099

Reaction score
Basically, the story is this... my girlfriend of 4 years and i were broken up because she needed to feel more independent. Everything ended in a large fight because we were both unhappy with the relationship. She lied allot and i had trust issues (i say as a result of her dishonesty. She says she was afraid to tell me things that she didnt think i needed to worry about)

The first time we talked after the break up was about a week later and i told her i would wait for her blah blah... she told me that i shouldnt. that she didnt know what would happen or how long it would take before she was able feel comfortable enough with herself to come back to a relationship. she did assure me however, she wasnt interested in being with anyone, and that wasnt was this was about.
About month later we were hanging out and dating again. Things moved pretty quickly back to a relationship. Except this time all she wanted to do was pick fights and bicker. So i told her i needed my space. After a week of no communication i visited her and we talked.

I told her i wanted a fresh start with no lies. That we should get everything into the open. She told me she had kissed someone. During the time i told her i needed space. She said she thought we were done and that it was a mistake. The guy, was a guy she had known for 3 years in college and that i had always had my suspicions of (always wanting to use her as a model for photoshoots and paintings). Even tho i had my suspicions, i had never said anything.

I figured a kiss. No big deal. Things were great for another month. Better than they had been in a long time. But i couldnt shake the feeling that she wasnt being forthcoming with something. I asked her on multiple occasions if she had been with anyone. If there was anything she wasnt telling me. Her answer was always no. And once or twice she got slightly agitated that i asked.

By happenstance (not snooping haha) i came across a convo between her and a friend in which she had vaguely eluded to something big she was hiding (her demons, she said).

When i confronted her, she denied but i could see she was worried. so i asked again and she again denied. After a few minutes of silence she confessed she had slept with the same person she had kissed. Apparently it happened while we were separated.

I couldnt be too upset because we were separated but, she lied about it on multiple occasions, made me feel like i was crazy, allowed me to be nice to this guy when i saw him after it happened and before i knew (which made me feel like a fool). She also told that she didnt intend on being with anyone, which kept me hanging on over the breakup.

She cried her eyes out, told me she would do ANYTHING (forgo her own privacy, allow me to be with someone else etc) to not lose me over a mistake. A mistake she said was the biggest in her life. She told me things would be so different from now on if i would only give her one more chance. She would never lie to me again etc etc... I believe her regret to be genuine... but did she regret her mistake? or regret that she got caught in a lie?

I dont know what i should do at this point. She has lied before.. but over things she was didnt want me to worry about (understandable, but that doesnt stop it from hurting when i find out on my own).

Im sure she didnt break up with me to have sex with this guy... our breakup fight and everything leading up to it was unrelated. And im sure it was only once.. the kiss that happened on another later occasion concerns me. She stopped it from going further (which i believe)... but if it was such a mistake the first time.. why let it almost happen again?

Do i trust again? Will things be awesome? i Wanted to marry this girl before this stuff happened... Or do i walk away? Right now we're not talking... a break with VERY specific terms...basically the terms entail NOT sleeping with anyone haha

please help!!
I would appreciate it so much... i feel like this is a major crossroads for me... and i dont know which way to turn...

I'm not voting, because I'm not the one to tell someone to definitely stay or go, however, I will tell you what I think. Honestly, I wouldn't trust someone who lied a lot to me. They obviously can't be trusted. It's not that difficult to tell the truth about something and be honest. From my experience with my ex, once a liar, always a liar. I don't believe it to ever change. He still won't be honest with me about simple things, and we haven't been together in over a year. I would have at least liked to think that as friends, he would be honest with me. But he's just not.

look, there is no perfect person in this world !

so if you believe she will change, be honest and never sleep with anyone other than you, go on and marry her !
if you think your life will always be in fighting, breaking and sleeping with others circle, it's better to break up !

i feel like you really love her, so try to be optimistic about it !

Latest posts

Back