38 never been in a relationship

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Minus said:
stella said:
yes it does. it means they are obsessional and live in a fantasy world. its a messed up psychosis.

I really question you ability to psychoanalyze someone from a few stray comments. If you really do posses that ability then you are better than any professional.

lol it isn't a few stray comments. have a look at every post he/she has made. this person is a troll and you should open your eyes.

it is not the first time that my values have been questioned and I think only in testing values do we judge ourselves and in trialling our values we find where we are weak or strong.
we see this in Lord of the Rings constantly. How long can you hold a position when hope seems all gone? Can you fight the temptation steal the ring? Can you give or sacrifice yourself for the benefit of others?
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Of course here we are talking about defending whether I am a bad person and a troll. Is that a BIG issue? No. Is it hard to just be me despite the insult of others? No.
Is holding an army line against an army of orcs considerably harder? I would imagine so.
Is resisting the addictive temptation of the ring harder? I imagine so.
I gain strength and see role models in such things and if my personal trials easier and simpler then I really have less to concern me.

Frodo Baggins said:
it is not the first time that my values have been questioned and I think only in testing values do we judge ourselves and in trialling our values we find where we are weak or strong.
we see this in Lord of the Rings constantly. How long can you hold a position when hope seems all gone? Can you fight the temptation steal the ring? Can you give or sacrifice yourself for the benefit of others?
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Of course here we are talking about defending whether I am a bad person and a troll. Is that a BIG issue? No. Is it hard to just be me despite the insult of others? No.
Is holding an army line against an army of orcs considerably harder? I would imagine so.
Is resisting the addictive temptation of the ring harder? I imagine so.
I gain strength and see role models in such things and if my personal trials easier and simpler then I really have less to concern me.
cool...do you like The Hobbit as well?

cool...do you like The Hobbit as well?
[/quote]

oh god please don't encourage him/her

I found the Hobbit not as appealing. I think that it seemed a smaller part of a bigger story a smaller landscape. Does that make sense? There were elements of the same in the Hobbit but I think that it was merely a way to introduce us to the elements of the saga that would be the Lord Of The Rings.
A warm up :)

If i may do a bit of over quoting here to get reoriented.

Shy72 said:
First thing first, just want to apologize if you see weird sentences, english is not my first language.

Ok so i'm 38 Male and i never been in a relationship ever. At this point i'm my life i'm not even trying anymore. When i talk and listen to my friends (dont have many either) or co-workers and hear them talk about their current and former relationship, i feel like i'm an extra-terrestrial.....

For as long as i remember i had always been shy with girls. I dunno it seems like i have a mental block that prevents me from doing the next step. I remember back in high school, i was around 14-15 back then, i was sitting next to this very nice girl, she was very kind to me (and i was wondering why, i never like myself, so cant understand how can someone else can). When we were doing team work she was always the first to take her desk and literraly drive it next to mine. But in the back of my mind i always had that block (i call it a block cause it feels like that), why is she doing that ? She cannnot possibly likes me, i'm not interesting, i'm ugly, i'm nothing. So i never had the courage to ask her out or take the next step.

A few years later it was something with a former work friend, once again she seems to be interested in me, but i turned her down, i was literally afraid of a relationship, she was doing the first steps, i was kind of suprise in a way, it's generally the guy job to do that. But once again i turn her down cause of that block. I simply said to her, after a night out at a movie that i wasnt ready for a relationship.

All the way up to 30 years old or so, i was very embarassed by my situation, my friends, family we're like joking or passing subtle messages to me about why i was still lonely. As usual i was just pretending to them that i was not in rush to find someone and in the back of my mind it almost became true. I think after that i completly stop looking or even trying.

I think all that goes all way back to primary school and continues all the way to secondary. I've never been a very popular guy, you know that kind of guy who's always choosen last in team sport, well that's me. During my primary and secondary years i had very, very few friends, even today i can count them with the fingers of one hand.

Personally looking i never like myself, i find myself ugly, i cant look at pictures of me, i run away from mirrors, i'm not thin nor overweigth either i'm kinda short 5`7 and around 200lbs.

I guess it's all about self confidence, i have none. Guess if you dont like yourself, how is it possible for someone else to like you. Anyway that's pretty much my life. 38, never been in a relationship and stop even caring about ever getting in one, i'll die single i guess... sometime i'm wondering if i'm some sort of nature freak.

I can really identify with a lot that you have said. Oh your English was quite understandable.

stella said:
lol it isn't a few stray comments. have a look at every post he/she has made. this person is a troll and you should open your eyes.

If you continue this harassment of a new user, you will get a vacation in order to allow them to adjust in before having to put up with your silliness.

Minus said:
stella said:

If you continue this harassment of a new user, you will get a vacation in order to allow them to adjust in before having to put up with your silliness.

my silliness?? are you for real? have you not read their posts. they are a TROLL!!

Yes i have read their posts. A troll post with the sole purpose of provoking emotional outrage. If Frodo is a troll then they are an extremely ineffective one because you seem to be the only person they have managed to outrage. Now i will hold to my part of the deal.

He/she could just be on a different level of freak (we're all freaks lol). I would just try to ignore it if it's bothering you.

Lol, I dunno, I like Frodo's posts :D A troll usually tries to upset people. I find his/her references humorous and light-hearted, yet also genuine in a way. It's just different is all.

stella said:
oh god please don't encourage him/her

my silliness?? are you for real? have you not read their posts. they are a TROLL!!

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEEE
trollface.jpg

I don't find anything particularly trollish about viewing things through the lens of a book. It's an interesting exercise, actually, making one particular book wholly relevant in life.

Hell, people do it with that great work of fiction called The Bible all the time - don't we all know at least one person who has a Scripture quote handy for any occasion or am I the only one? Why not with The Lord of the Rings?

I don't understand why it upsets Stella so much. At the very worst, Frodo is spamming us with the nefarious purpose of encouraging people to ... *gasp* ... READ A BOOK!

the koran must be a work of fiction too ;) just thought i would put it out there to test the PC police around here.

Just_Some_Dude said:
the koran must be a work of fiction too ;) just thought i would put it out there to test the PC police around here.

It's all fiction. :p

cheaptrickfan said:
Just_Some_Dude said:

It's all fiction. :p

Did I ever mention my distaste for fiction?
vnpb2u.jpg

I don't like the bible and yes i like Lord of the Rings and I don't try to overuse talking about it. I know I am a little bit obsessive over somethings sometimes. I do see a lot of good values in it and I am trying to be a person of good morals and virtues myself. Such values I believe are timeless and transportable. The delivery may change but the intent still there.
I have read other books and I am reasonably well studied. Just know I do spend a lot of time immersed in Middle Earth...

Now now, I don't like the Bible either for the most part, but it has contributed it's share of good things, both in wisdom and the 100 or so bible prophecies that have come true...

And Frodo, I have been contemplating morality as well as tackling all sorts of spiritual and philosophical views since I was a kid and played the game "Ultima 2: Quest of the Avatar" for the NES. Basically you are the avatar and find the runes and stones of virtue and eventually conquer the abyss. As Avatar you must master the 8 virtues to recieve the sword of paradise and the exotic armor.

These virtues are: Honesty, Compassion, Justice, Honor, Spirituality, Sacrifice, Humility, and Valor. These virtues make up one or more of the 3 principles.

Truth: Honesty, Justice, Honor, Spirituality
Love: Compassion, Sacrifice, Justice, Spirituality
Courage: Valor, Sacrifice, Honor, Spirituality

* Honesty is respect for Truth
* Compassion is Love of others
* Valor is Courage to stand up against risks
* Justice is Truth, tempered by Love
* Sacrifice is Courage to give oneself in name of Love
* Honor is Courage to seek and uphold the Truth
* Spirituality is to seek Truth, Love and Courage from one's own self and the world around
* Humility is the opposite of Pride, which is the absence of Truth, Love or Courage

Finally, surrounding everything is a black circle, absent of all colors; this is the anti-virtue of Pride that exists in the absence of the three Principles. Thus, the seeker must use its opposite, the Virtue of Humility, which exists in the absence of the three Anti-Principles (Falsehood, Hatred, and Cowardice.)

Finally at the end, after the abyss, is discovered the codex of Infinity... although as a kid I never actually made it to the end...

I think that most people intrinsically know what they support in a ethical and moral level. Their level of what feels right or justifiable or fair. Their level of being comfortable with this is a different thing. I think if anyone were to honestly look at themselves and accept what they feel as right as being right for them and then they can really start accepting themselves. With this comes confidence.
I think my morality and ethics are no better or worse than yours. Different no doubt. They are right for me though and I am comfortable with them. If you embrace yours, you ought not compare or contrast them against mine. They are yours.
That sounds like a cool game.
I am glad you like the old fashion values in LOTR. I do too and for better or worse they closely fit my values. :)

To get back to the original poster,

I went to a therapist last year who told me that slowly over time you can learn to love yourself, when I told her I don't like myself. I didn't believe her, but here I am a year later able to be much more gentle towards myself. And, I'm not exactly sure how it happened except that I wanted it to. Badly.

I think loving yourself comes first, it leads to self confidence, which then will lead you to being able to be open and sharing with someone else.

Good luck!

Latest posts

Back