Why do we do things we recognise as irrational?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nfrae

Reaction score
I'm talking about socially. I don't see any reason to be nervous, for the most part, yet I am. Do we (whoever) not really believe we're worth something? If that's the case I don't see a purpose in repeating these tired motivations to myself. I remember a time were I knew a couple people and I remember feeling pretty confident. Just as worthless but somewhat confident. Is that the only effective way out? Knowing people? I know I'm not the only one tired of hearing the same things, over and over. That makes it seem so hopeless. I swear, it's just too draining for me to read some of the posts around hear! How do you convince yourself of something you, deep down, think isn't true at all? It's sounds so absurd to me.

i know what you mean. unfortunately its in our nature. as a species we are kind of insane, lol.

I think Gollum was irrational and so was Boromir but then the ring does strange things to people. I have noticed a ring does strange things to married women too.

I know what nfrae means. Realistically, there's no reason for me to be afraid. No one's chasing me. In fact, people usually respond well and when they don't, they just remain silent. But that doesn't stop that wheel from turning inside my head.

VanillaCreme said:
Because at the time, we're irrational. So the behavior coincides.

But if you can recognize the fact that you're being irrational, then you should be able to act rationally based on that.

MovingForward said:
I know what nfrae means. Realistically, there's no reason for me to be afraid. No one's chasing me. In fact, people usually respond well and when they don't, they just remain silent. But that doesn't stop that wheel from turning inside my head.

Yeahs!

nfrae said:
VanillaCreme said:

But if you can recognize the fact that you're being irrational, then you should be able to act rationally based on that.

Well that's the point of being in the state of being irrational. You either don't know or don't care that you are. So anything you do comes flying off the handle.

"Flying off the handle", I've never understood that phrase, or known from whence it originated. Another one is "having your cake and eating it". If you can't actually eat the cake then what the blazes are you supposed to do with it? Leave it on the plate to grow stale? Take it to the park and feed the ducks? Or maybe present it as an offering to appease the old gods? And why is it morally awry to eat the cake in the first place? For the sake of logic I think I'll just stick with "you can't have the penny AND the bun".

Ah well I've always called it a "broomstick", which is why I think I can be forgiven for overlooking, during the many years this has confounded me, the blatantly obvious :shy: :club:

VanillaCreme said:
nfrae said:
VanillaCreme said:

Well that's the point of being in the state of being irrational. You either don't know or don't care that you are. So anything you do comes flying off the handle.

But the actions are being repeated. I don't have a good excuse for that.

Latest posts

Back