Being severe, or more to the point, trying not to...

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StarStrider

Reaction score
This may seem throughly trivial in comparison to the host of other social problems that accompany loneliness and even baffling to many but nevertheless I will proceed with the question; has anyone else lost their sense of humour through isolation?

When I was a kid, a teenager and even during my early twenties, whatever else was going on I used to laugh all of the time *actually just remembering has made me chuckle a bit* and it didn't take anything especially sophisticated or clever to set me off!

These days it just doesn't happen. There have been a few setbacks granted but nothing that can adequately explain why the well has run so dry.

I'm on the home straight to my middle years so maybe it's just something that comes to certain people when they hit that watershed but I don't believe that anymore than you do. Perhaps the answer resides at the end of a marathon drinking session?

Any thoughts?

StarStrider said:
This may seem throughly trivial in comparison to the host of other social problems that accompany loneliness and even baffling to many but nevertheless I will proceed with the question; has anyone else lost their sense of humour through isolation?

When I was a kid, a teenager and even during my early twenties, whatever else was going on I used to laugh all of the time *actually just remembering has made me chuckle a bit* and it didn't take anything especially sophisticated or clever to set me off!

These days it just doesn't happen. There have been a few setbacks granted but nothing that can adequately explain why the well has run so dry.

I'm on the home straight to my middle years so maybe it's just something that comes to certain people when they hit that watershed but I don't believe that anymore than you do. Perhaps the answer resides at the end of a marathon drinking session?

Any thoughts?

I get that way sometimes. If I'm feeling down (no matter how long the episode might last) I seem to completely lose my sense of humor. I don't think it's an "age" thing though. lol, a drinking session DOES tend to restore it, at least temporarily. :p

Sometimes I never laugh, and sometimes a crappy sitcom makes me laugh my ass off. Mostly the former though. It seems to be cyclical. I laugh a lot around people sometimes, but that's due to being anxious. It's funny you mentioned losing your sense of humor due to isolation, because whatever sense of humor I have, it was developed in isolation. It's only seen the light of day in the last few years.

I am not really sure what is meant by a sense of humor but i am sure that i don't have one, based on the number of times i have been told that. I can't say if i lost it, or just never had one.
animal0040.gif

Yeah. My sense of humour has really gone down hill since I first started feeling this way. I find very few things funny these days, when I do say something funny/make a joke it's usually a nasty joke or something sarcastic, or I only say funny things accidentally.

i think i stole it :(

(do you want mine in return, minus?)
^^^ i don't recommend it though. unless you like laughing at any random "h" letters.
and chairs.

Minus said:
I am not really sure what is meant by a sense of humor but i am sure that i don't have one, based on the number of times i have been told that. I can't say if i lost it, or just never had one.
animal0040.gif

lol, I disagree. You just have a somewhat dry sense of humor and I admit to finding it exceedingly funny. :p

My sense of humor is so cynical and sarcastic that it's a rare moment when something can cause me to actually explode in a gut-buster of a laugh. So most of the time I'm fairly serious and somewhat weirdly whimsical in general attitude.

As far as I can tell, I've always been like that...so I don't think I ever experienced what you're talking about, StarStrider. Sorry. :p

Badjedidude said:
My sense of humor is so cynical and sarcastic that it's a rare moment when something can cause me to actually explode in a gut-buster of a laugh. So most of the time I'm fairly serious and somewhat weirdly whimsical in general attitude.

As far as I can tell, I've always been like that...so I don't think I ever experienced what you're talking about, StarStrider. Sorry. :p

It's actually strangely amusing reading through the various types of things that make other people laugh. I suppose on reflection there are certain things that do coax the odd smile or two usually for me it's when someone is doing something skin crawlingly awful in a film or tv programme (e.g that loony on the schoolbus in Dirty Harry), a kind of, thank-god-I'm-not-the-victim, nervous titter.

Come to think of it, i often find homework funny. Anyone watching me laugh away as i work through math problems would probably be rather puzzled. At least i don't think homework is suppose to be funny.

Minus said:
Come to think of it, i often find homework funny. Anyone watching me laugh away as i work through math problems would probably be rather puzzled. At least i don't think homework is suppose to be funny.

See....now THAT was funny! :p

I usually laugh at ridiculously lame jokes; the cheesier, the better.

unintentionally comedic films and ruminating on my own awkward, bizarre shenanigans also get me a' crackin. (ever step into a one person revolving door behind an unknown pedestrian, thinking that it was a more spacious, multiple-person revolving door? the look of incredulous surprise on the stranger's face is key to the experience.)

but as far as isolation goes, it I don't believe it affects my wacky humour one way or another; but then I wouldn't really consider myself all that isolated to begin with (perpetual lack of intimate significant-other notwithstanding).

Life is full of bullshit at times or most of the time.
sometimes i wanna laugh other times I wanna cry.
at times I wanna do both at the sametimes.

Wash, rinse, and repeat....wash, rinse and repeat of the daily dirt and grimes.

Rule#62.....is never to take myself to **** seriously.

I've been accussed of being childish and that I should grow the fresia up. Hahahaaaaaa
I'm probably one of the oldeset members on this site. I've raised families and all my children are grown up now.
It's a consiouse decision on my part to keep young at heart. I'm mature enough to not grow the fresia up. :p
Of course it was after I hitted sometype of mental and emotional bottom. Bascially I thought I was going to have a heart attack
being stress out all the fucken time being a **** grown up.

Laughter is actaully a natural process of letting go....
Lauther is healing.
That why young children arn't stressed out or tripping...They still retain that natural process in them...until some wacked job told them they should grow the fresia up.lol

StarStrider said:

Any thoughts?

maybe you just need to get out more and lighten up. the internet can be a dreary place. :) that's my thought, you asked for it. this is coming from a guy who could laugh at a funeral.

laugh = happiness
isn't that what we are all in pursuit of?
I laugh a lot

Latest posts

Back