A time in your life when you were most lonely

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firemanco3

Reaction score
At present I am satisfied with my life, I have a good job and a close family, but the one thing I'm missing is a significant other to share my life with. If you have had the chance to read some of my other posts then you have a general idea. If there is anything I worry about, its the possibility growing old while being alone.

What my intention here is is for you to think of a time in your life when you really felt lonely or when you first felt it. Maybe its right now.

My first experience and my most profound was when I was at the ages of 19 and 20. When I was growing up I never had any real close friends in school but I spent a lot of my time with my family and friends that I've had since I was real young. I enjoyed the moments I spent with my family and friends and the thought of being lonely never once occurred to me.

I joined the Navy after high school and I was deployed to the Mediterranean Sea aboard an aircraft carrier immediately after basic training. Most people I knew got lonely out to sea but not me. I loved it. I got to see some great places and really felt I was making a difference. Also the time passed by and I really didn't think about being alone so much. That began to change once I returned to the US though. I was stationed in Norfolk, Va and I was over a thousand miles away form my hometown. I wanted to be with my family but instead I was off coasting around by myself trying to find something to keep occupied. After a few months I was stationed in Memphis, TN for a tech. school and then back to Norfolk on a different ship. I had a hard time relating to the people I worked with and it got to the point where they didn't like me very much. They didn't take the time to get to know me, they just thought I was an *******. I rented an apartment with a guy I went to tech. school with. He was quite a bit older then me and we didn't have much in common.

Long story short my days consisted of sitting in my apartment by myself wishing I could be home with my family, or back out to sea again. I was not making friends and the people I thought I could be friends with turned their backs on me. Many of the people I was getting to know were struggling with the same thing I was, but their way of dealing with is was by drinking and going to the strip clubs, not my cup of tea. I began to feel like I didn't have a friend in the world and that I was truly on my own. Memories of the way things used to be came flooding in and I began to wonder what would become of me. Something as subtle as hearing a song on the radio could trigger a memory and the realization that that part of my life was over. It was quite a reality check, especially for a 20 year old. I went home on leave for Christmas, had a wonderful time, and I was dreading having to go back to Norfolk. I did though, back to the same misery just as I left it.

After a few months I began to make a few friends and things improved but this was a real gut check for me. I learned a lot from it, about trusting people and about thinking for myself. It is not an experience that I would ever want to have again, that is the feeling that you don't have a friend in the world and no one cares about you or those who do are out of reach. It is probably why I'm such a homebody today. After I left the Navy I moved back to my hometown and continue to live there to this very day.

Shoulded had Join the UASF.

Dudes on the first and third floor...Babes in the middle :p
hahahaaaa...that's the way my dorm was set up.

Then again i did kind of got stationed at bum fresia eygpt with bunch of red necks wanting to kill me.lol
Never the less the odds were still in my favor. 2-3 babes for ever guy.
It was an everyday/night thing that some of my friends went out roam the town and chase women....
coo coo ra cha mondays, 2 for 1 tuseday, ladies night wensday, gearing up for the weekend thurday, TGIF friday.
I went to a strip joint once in my life...I thought it was retarded....fresia that honeysuckle, I can touch the women at the dormatory.
All kind of babes getting set free being away from home and spreading thier wings :p

Then I had to got and get married...I love her though.

I remember taking a summer vacation...I'll never forget that. A hawt babe feeding graps on the beach.
It was a cool honey moon...Too bad she wasn't my wife. Yeah she was sort if sad that she had to return
to Boston. She had to return to attend college.

I kind of dreaded going back too..I just wanted to runaway from all of the bullshit.
Relationship problems...

mmmm...I wonder if that sort of habit carried over after I was discharged...
Errr..it sure the fresia did.

You know what's funni?....I join the military becuase my finacee and I wanted to get married.
She messed my best friend (so home life wasn't all rosie, either). I ended up going in the service jaded..it was messed up.
I remember driving back into town after leaving home for 4 years...
As soon as I drove into town...not even more than 5 mins. There she was, my fiancee. The first person i know..I ran into.
Back to squard one, right where we left off...whatever the challenges we had to work though.
Relationships problems...

You know..she and I move forward. We were actaully pretty happy together....
But Chelle wasn't finished with me and just had to have things her way.
Relationships problems....

Lois cried her heart out and begged me not to leave. She stood by my side through that episode.
It ripped her fucken heart out...I couldn't find work becuase of whatever. I had to move.
With good intensions as before....I ended up roaming the city, attending beach party, going to night clubs or where ever.
I was numb outta of my fuken mind..but have the time of my life. Plenty of hawt babes in SoCal too...

Well...I settle down and became a home body. It wasn't easy to brake the habits of wanting to go and party and chase women
every night. It's posisble, if you want to change, Might not be easy but it's possible.

I'm clean and sober today...I actually stopped drinking at a very young age.
In a way it kind of helped me to do all the hard core partying as much as I did...I got it out of my system. I experinced it enough.
I don't feel like I'm missing anything or missed out.

Kind of like my depression or isolation I did for a little while. It was totally hard core. I don't miss being depressed as fresia, today.
I kind of grew out of it...you can say.

I actaully enjoyed going to work and coming home to my GF and children. It was different.

From the end of the spectrum. I'm an extremist...from one extreem to the other.
Someday, i hope to find a happy balance.
Then again..I did live my life to the fullest. Full of happiness, full of sadness, full of loneliness, full of freindship, full of madness, full of serenity,
full of doughts, full of hope.
Sometimes it happends all at once..other times it happens one at a time.

Life changes...all the children are grown up, now.
Chelle and I still have un finish bussiness...right back to were we started. I'm hoping it gets better.
I'm hoping life gets better as we go on. After all...living and learning from our mistakes...hopfully we'll make it better.

Few months back. gf had broken up with me and I moved to a new country where I knew no one.

from the fall of 2007 up to winter of 09 from losing all of my highschool friends up until I started ti make some college friends

2 years it seemed so much longer like five years of posting here, doing things on my own trying to be productive, hoping I'd hear from them give me another chance

:(

I was the loneliest in the weeks and months after my son died. Although I was married, had another child and was surrounded by people who cared about me, I still felt such a disconnect from the world that I was profoundly alone.

Some of that still remains actually, like residual numbness of nerve damage.

Last semester at ASU.
I was surrounded by people,and I couldn't relate to any of them.
I hid out in my room,I could hear them playing in the hallway.
I was never invited to their secret parties,I wouldn't have gone anyway,but the invitation alone would've been enough.
Everytime I'd come back to the dorms from home,I would cry. I missed my mom,aunt and rest of my family,including my pets.

Right now.
I've moved back into my mom's house because of financial and health reasons.
I'm surrounded by four walls and two plants,and tons of textbooks. My cat comes and goes as does my mother.

I am an older man and I am completely alone no family, no friends who care. Yes a few acquaintances but no one close enough to just call and say come on over. It is not just scary, it's debilitating. I don't seem to have the energy to do much of anything.

15 years ago when my grandfather died, my parents moved to Maryland, and my boyfriend at the time went to Japan for a month.

Latest posts

Back