An exerpt.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

tony30

This is undoubtedly going to be something of an anomaly on these pages, but it is part of a bio I wrote for a star of the nineties. It's creative merit is decidedly oblique and it isn't going to evoke the same sort of drama and passion as poetry can do. All it represents is a chance for any of you to read my writing and if you feel so disposed, to leave a comment expressing an opinion. You can be as objective as you like and simultaneously consider this an invitation to post anything you'd like to share with the rest of the site. Art, literature even a thumbprint would be welcome!

Bye for now.

There can be no mistaking the unique persona of Chris Eubank. As he struts through the stadium, carrying his supple, ebony frame in languid, measured strides towards the ring a chorus of jeers can be heard that threaten to drown out Chris’s anthem, a rousing track entitled ‘Simply The Best’, belted out with gusto by Tina Turner.
Occasionally, Chris will pause near a camera and strike a pose, exaggerating his already superb muscular structure, infuriating the crowd further and allowing the television audience closer inspection of his features. The broadcast reveals a strangely angular and solid head beset with prominent cheekbones, gaping nostrils and a ridged brow, all of which are fixed into an expression of towering conceit that is underpinned with steely resolve.
The howls of derision seem to intensify as Eubank concludes his defiant entrance by vaulting over the top rope and readying himself for the battle ahead.

Throughout most of the nineties Eubank was, arguably, the most successful boxer native to the British Isles. He developed a cagey, defensive style of boxing that he employed time and again to frustrate his opponents into making mistakes. This cautious approach didn’t always translate well to television and often belied the fact that he was a devastating puncher with an uncommonly reliable chin, a prodigious base of stamina and great reflexes.
Never one to leave matters in the lap of the gods, Eubank also trained religiously for each and every bout and never materialized for a scheduled contest in anything less than peak condition.
Outside of the squared-circle, he was pigeonholed as an eccentric by the press and the public in general. Dressing ostentatiously in fine suits and even going so far as to wearing a monocle, Chris at his extravagant best looked every inch the upper-crust English gentleman. When he spoke his words, though touched by a lisp, were delivered in a soft, exquisitely articulate fashion that conveyed formidable intelligence and striking individualism. In truth, no-one really knew what to make of him. He veered so far off the well-worn track of the stereotypical, British boxer that mockery and disdain seemed the only antidote for their lack of understanding of this most unlikely pugilist.
However, Chris Eubank, amongst other things was an opportunist. He quickly perceived that the boxing fraternity had not really taken to him so he utilized that knowledge to cultivate a hugely marketable in-ring alias that positively oozed contempt and became the man that the fans loved to hate.

Sadly, there are still many who have never understood that behind the act there is a fundamentally honorable, kind and decent human being who perhaps doesn’t receive the credit that he is entitled to, both in and out of the ring. Eubank is certainly not without his flaws though. He is by nature a highly impulsive and sometimes reckless person, a trait that has resulted in tragedy and landed him in seriously hot water on more that one occasion....

Don't everybody reply at once, you'll cause the server to crash, lol.
To be taken with a tablespoon full of salt.

I won't keep reminding everyone because the last thing I want to do is antagonise anybody.

Cheerio for now.

English ins't my native language and there are words in that bio which i've never even seen before, but from what i did understand of it, i liked it alot! I didn't really read it as it was a bio, rather than a movie script. Visualizing that story was a little odd, indeed, but kept me interested all the way through; i'd like to see more posts like that! You've probably noticed that i don't really know how to "rate" what You wrote and i won't pretend i know it's a good one compared to any other bio. I don't even think i've read a "real" biography before, but as an introduction to a character, whether real or made up, that was a hell of a way to do it.

What are You talking about? You look both cool and friendly on that shot!

Tony,

You write very well. You have a gift with language.

Also, far from ugly. You look handsome to me. (Though the angle of the photo is unusal, so it's hard to see what you 'really' look like.)

What is UP with England?!!! Do all handsome men there find themselves ugly? What?!!! If anything, I thought that English girls were considered as 'unattractive' but then again, it's not really fair to generalize. There are certainly beautiful and ugly people in every nation on earth.

Well I took the time to re-read the passage you wrote. It's really, really good. I would almost say fabulous. I really enjoyed reading it. It sounds like a professionally published magazine article or book.

Seriously.

Are you a writer by trade?

I'm what you'd call a 'wanna-be writer.' I've had several articles published here and there in newspapers and magazines, but nothing of depth. Nothing like I 'want' to write. I guess, to be honest, that I'm afraid of baring my soul through writing. If I really wrote with passion, and someone told me it was crap, I would be devastated. I don't take insults very well, considering that I have been incredibly hard on myself my whole life. I tend to deflate anything good I've accomplished and magnify my mistakes and weaknesses.

By all rights I should be tucked up in bed and sound asleep by now, I feel thoroughly wretched, but just can't seem to get comfortable enough to doze off.

However this does give me an opportunity to pass on regards and thanks to Robin and Lonelygirl both for taking an interest and delving into my literary magnus opus, lol.

I can't imagine the subject matter held great appeal to either of you and considering that English is a secondary language to you Robin, I applaud the fact that you even attempted it, because if I have a weakness when writing, it is that I can become frightfully over verbose without realising I'm doing it. So a tip of the hat to you for wading through the entire passage and passing on such discerning criticism whilst acknowledging you have few bases of comparison.

Lonelygirl you've heaped me with enough praise to make a grown man blush which is exactly what this one has just done, lol. Thank you for the glowing terms in which you described my semi article. Far from harbouring aspirations as a pro writer though, I just knock this sort of stuff out when I'm feeling a tad fanciful. What is it they say about being a professional author 1 percent inspiration, 99 percent perspiration - which is the bit that invariably finds me out, lol.

On the photo, I just popped it on as a way of I dunno....humanising myself a little, it should also be noted that I was a little tipsy when it was taken - approximately two days ago.

I can't manage anymore my fingers feel like sticks of lead.

Bye for now.

Hi Tony,

Sorry to make the British boy blush. (Sorry, I like alliteration.)

You're adorable. I'm shocked that no one has snapped you up...yet. When I just showed your photo on this thread to my younger, (Beautiful, thin, and artistic) younger sister, I said, "What do you think of this guy?" She said, "He's cute!"

So, that's God's honest truth.

I hope you are feeling better soon. I'd love to read more of your work. I think you should complete the article and send it in for publication. I can help you think of places to write to. I've had two front page articles on newspapers, a few articles in magazines, and a few at the university newspaper (though of course they are pretty much obligated to publish anything that isn't absolute shite.)

Take care of yourself! Drink some good herbal tea.

Seriously. It happened. I thought Tony was cute, and so did my younger sister. The British accent is so incredibly sexy. You'll be very popular if you come over here, Tony!

When I think of a British accent, I can't help but think: Shakespeare. We Americans are silly--we automatically attribute high intelligence to anyone with a proper British accent (not Chav or East Ender accents, though!)

To me, the British accent speaks to being sexy, intelligent, romantic, exciting, an International Man of Mystery. :)

Hey I just Googled Chris Eubank.

I am not much for boxing (I don't follow any sports) but anyone who has the balls to stand up to Blair is a hero in my view. He's awesome. I can't believe that he was arrested for free speech--he had a truthful message on the back of a truck. Why is that illegal in the UK? What next, illegal to question the government?!

You will struggle to find a man with more integrity than Christopher Livingstone Eubank and his stand against the unjust war in Iraq was a great example of someone having the gumption to announce what everybody was really thinking in four or five tonnes of justice screeching down Downing Street!

Lonelygirl I'm almost speechless at the volume of your praise for me, lol. I know I'm not horribly ugly but I never imagine my pic would have such an impact, I've gone all shy now.

Thank you very much though. I can't deny it's been nice reading positive remarks about my appearance and it has cheered me up immeasurably. My earnest hope though is that my internal qualities will one day be be something that I can share with others. I live in hope.

tony30 said:
My earnest hope though is that my internal qualities will one day be be something that I can share with others. I live in hope.

You're already sharing it, and i'm almost scared how fast You caught my interest in becoming one of Your minions. (I'm not gay, i'm funny; there's a difference! ;) )

Seriously though, i think You have had both Your internal and external qualities confirmed more than what has only been written around here. You hope? I'm terribly sorry i haven't yet got to find any threads where You explain more about Your private life; but are You single and searching? That would actually surprise me... however, do You have some self-esteem issues behind all this upright and honest personality? What is someone like You doing here?

If You had a mind-reading device and tried standing around outside for a few minutes You'd notice how attractive people walking by probably are seeing You. There'd bound to be a lonely girl or three climbing You within the hour! And not to mention 'lonelygirl'! ;)

Why do i even try :rolleyes:... perhaps because You seem so... glad, somehow. Maybe You're not even here becuase You're lonely but to help others? You beam out self-esteem and gentleness so it's hard to understand how someone like You could write something like "I live in hope".

Robin said:
tony30 said:
My earnest hope though is that my internal qualities will one day be be something that I can share with others. I live in hope.

You're already sharing it, and i'm almost scared how fast You caught my interest in becoming one of Your minions. (I'm not gay, i'm funny; there's a difference! ;) )

Seriously though, i think You have had both Your internal and external qualities confirmed more than what has only been written around here. You hope? I'm terribly sorry i haven't yet got to find any threads where You explain more about Your private life; but are You single and searching? That would actually surprise me... however, do You have some self-esteem issues behind all this upright and honest personality? What is someone like You doing here?

If You had a mind-reading device and tried standing around outside for a few minutes You'd notice how attractive people walking by probably are seeing You. There'd bound to be a lonely girl or three climbing You within the hour! And not to mention 'lonelygirl'! ;)

Why do i even try :rolleyes:... perhaps because You seem so... glad, somehow. Maybe You're not even here becuase You're lonely but to help others? You beam out self-esteem and gentleness so it's hard to understand how someone like You could write something like "I live in hope".

**** look now, Tony! You've gone and attracted a man AND a woman on your first foray into the net! Seriously, there are certainly women in your town waiting for you as we speak. (begins to tear up...)

You said you get appraising looks sometimes. Well, guess what? Those girls are waiting for you to come and say hello! Perhaps they are too shy or don't want to appear tarty, so they are waiting for you. Go and say hello!

Lonelygirl partially thank you your remarks( and those of Robin) I have started lifting myself out of the dole drums. I know our communication was a bit odd and that's just something I'll have to put down to experience. I can't really repay you for the injection of confidence. A big thankyou. I know our PM's turned a bit sour but you have helped me and I don't want you to forget that.

Thank you very much.

P.S

I would very much like to carry on making contributions here but after weirding out on Lonely girl (which is exactly what I did) I won't hide the truth, I was a little overawed by the flattery and perhaps saw things that weren't there. I don't have any excuses, save the fact that loneliness sometimes make one grasp as invisible straws. For that I am ashamed and apologise publicly and unreservedly, it is not a mistake I will repeat.   I hope it will still remain appropriate because with the exception of that peculiar chapter, I've acquired a sense of ease here.

And yes - I did spend the next few days logging in at semi-regular intervals in the hope that I would recieve a reply to the last PM I dispatched. An unworthy passtime, I know but I don't want anyone to foster any illusions about the flaws in my character. Disgraceful conduct on my part.

tony30 said:
I would very much like to carry on making contributions here but after weirding out on Lonely girl (which is exactly what I did) I won't hide the truth, I was a little overawed by the flattery and perhaps saw things that weren't there.

Um, i must have missed something. What did You do exactly? Don't bother to answer me if it's something uncomfortable to talk about, it's not that important anyway. No sweat! ;)

Basically the term to best describe it is faux pas, Robin. I won't reveal the precise content of the PM's because that is not my privilege.

It's funny, I've become so used to silently screaming out for attention that it actually comes my way, I'm poleaxed.

Don't misunderstand though, I haven't been showering Lonelygirl with unwanted PM's or anything like that, but I do feel that my communication with her has resulted in disappointment.

Channeling dialogue is some thing I find extraordinarily difficult, sure I can sit here and type one self-lacerating declaration after another, anyone can do that, but once someone says hi and I've say hi back, I really begin to struggle.

Also there is the issue of misrepresentation. People often form the impression that I am some sort of high-brow intellectual - that is easy to understand because of the way that I present information - but I hate it - it makes me feel like a phony because amid the pockets of intelligence I have a fragmented and unreliable thought process that is coupled with a rather cumbersome wit.

I try to compensate for that by measuring my thoughts with considerable depth but I am not an Einstein or a William Shakespeare much as I would love to be.

Once again Robin thanks for taking an interest, I hope that you are well and that your musical compositions are producing the desired results for you.

Take care for now.

Tony.

Latest posts

Back