Another One Likes The Dust

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silence Is Deafening

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just joined. 33 year old bloke from the UK.

Current life in a nutshell: I have a lot of time on my hands at the moment while looking for work - too much in fact. I've made some positive changes because of this such as regular exercise, nearly finished a 400 page book I've been writing, and next time I get a few quid, I'll be starting poi, and job hunting all the while. So I know how to keep myself busy, but I think that only gets you so far. Annoyingly, however, I have minimal human interaction. Feel free to skip past the next paragraph because there's way more there than intended. Beginning to realise why friend's won't talk :)

I live away from friends and families so I can live near my son who i see on the weekends. I don't drive, and I'm currently out of work (desperately trying to get in!) and because I don't drive I'm restricted to a fairly small locality. I am fortunate enough to have some with some really amazing friends who live elsewhere but at the moment, between their work and family lives, I'm getting very little response with talking to them, and I don't want to be hanging around their ankles for conversation. I'll probably speak to one of them about once a week, if that. I live alone, not enough money to go out and meet knew people, and again, no car to explore to get out there and meet new people. I have joined a few groups ad societies to expand on the social circles but they still cost money so that's limited. Stupidly, I've been in similar positions most of my life and just accepted it and assumed it was 'fine!' and basically become really accustomed to this isolation (hence Another One Likes The Dust, if you're wondering where that was going to come into it :p) So, I now think I've been really crappy to myself. Even when i was working, there wasn't much of a work social life going and I didn't feel much better that how I feel now. Never too late to kick a habbit.

Now, I know none of this is the end of the world as we know it, but I feel I really need more human interaction in my life, and I'm not going to see it in real life until I've got a job again.

So basically, that's why i'm here. I hope there's people out there who don't mind PMing and stuff and having random chats. I'm also conscious some other people might be in the same boat and if that's you, please don't hesitate to message me at whatever time. If I'm asleep, I won't respond - no big deal. If I'm awake, we'll talk.

So, if you're still reading this, I'm pleased to be here and can't wait to meet some new... avatars...

Will update my profile when i figure out how.

Best regards,

Chris

Hi Chris,  I think you're right, you'll feel better when you get a job, you'll at least be in the company of other humans then ! don't know what sort of work you're looking for, but couldn't you start somewhere - anywhere ?  even if it's not what you want right now, just to get you out of the house and back into the human race ?  (I have to admit though, I prefer the company of my cats these days !)
You're young to be feeling so lonely and I hope life opens up for you soon, now, if someone had mentioned this to me, I'd have smacked them (ha ha) but can you volunteer anywhere, charity shop etc., i'ts company after all.

I have a bus pass and sometimes get on one or two buses just for the company - sad or wot ?  so you see, you are not alone in feeling lonely.  I read a lot, work on crafts and make plans, which I know realistically, will never become reality, but hey, 'you gotta have a dream' - right ?  take care.

If you want to talk to an old wrinkly -I think I've been there and done it all !!

regards,
Ninjacat

Hi Ninjacat.

Thanks for the response. You're absolutely right, and this is something I'm currently exploring. I live by a canal and waiting for a reply to help volunteer in keeping it clean and lively and maybe operating some gate locks And there' s a festival arts group I've tried to contact. Seeing if I could join there and maybe try my hand at doing / learning poi for them. But because I'm a weekend dad, that can also complicate some events.

But again, you definitely are right. Its nothing to cringe about. Volunteer work can be a cure for boredom, loneliness, and ultimately, gets you some experience.

Hey Silence is Deafening welcome to the forum.

I'm a little younger (26) but I'm in a similar boat I don't have a job or a car, and most of my friends from Uni have moved away and I moved back to my hometown so my closest friend lives about 45 mins away but I don't get to see them often since I don't have a car and they're busy with Grad school.

But that's really cool you've been writing a book, what's it about it? and what's poi?

Anyway's welcome to the forum :)

evanescencefan912 said:
Hey Silence is Deafening welcome to the forum.

I'm a little younger (26) but I'm in a similar boat I don't have a job or a car, and most of my friends from Uni have moved away and I moved back to my hometown so my closest friend lives about 45 mins away but I don't get to see them often since I don't have a car and they're busy with Grad school.

But that's really cool you've been writing a book, what's it about it? and what's poi?

Anyway's welcome to the forum :)

Hi EvanFan,

An example of poi:

I just started Friday. I didn't have the money to buy a kit so I went to a shop not far away and bought a set of dog balls (eek!) and a yarn of lace and basically made my own set. Give meself blisters after about 15 minutes so may have to just wait until I bought new ones. I guess I could have also made them out of tights with a weighted tennis ball in but, money. And I don't fancy going into a shop to buy ladies tights :D

As for the book, its a dark fantasy one. I guess its like Game of Thrones meets Harry Potter written by someone no way near as good as J. K.Rowling and George R. R. Martin. When I've finished it I will probably be asking some of you guys to read and provide feedback if people are up for it. I'm not published or anything though.

Thanks for the warm welcome, EvanFan.

Poi .. that reminds me of island hopping in Thailand.

I'll gladly have a look at the book Sid.

hahaha!

Oh my god, how little has changed. I have a housemate now, but I've worked and lost work since then. Son's starting secondary school, and its seems to be a cyclical process for me. Have some great conversations with a lass by Facebook Messenger but I think she's just a really nice person trying to help me out with ADHD stuff.

Other than that, meh! Read my ancient original post cuz I'm pretty much back there again!

Oh, finished the book a while ago too, if anyone fancies a read. Dark adult fantasy (not as sexy as that sounds!) and I started poi, and forgot about it until now! Ace! Will have to dig them out!

hahaha!

Oh my god, how little has changed. I have a housemate now, but I've worked and lost work since then. Son's starting secondary school, and its seems to be a cyclical process for me. Have some great conversations with a lass by Facebook Messenger but I think she's just a really nice person trying to help me out with ADHD stuff.

Other than that, meh! Read my ancient original post cuz I'm pretty much back there again!

Oh, finished the book a while ago too, if anyone fancies a read. Dark adult fantasy (not as sexy as that sounds!) and I started poi, and forgot about it until now! Ace! Will have to dig them out!
Oh hi! You're back too. I think this site starting to send emails has made many people come back.
We talked something like... 4 years ago? Do you remember? I'm happy to read you again ;)

Latest posts

Back