Antidepressant Questions

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gyneco

Reaction score
I've been depressed for most of this year. I didn't use to want to take meds, but lately things are so bad I'm willing to compromise my principles. I have no idea how these things work, though. Where can I find a doctor who can prescribed me something? (I don't really go to doctors, so the closest I get are my pediatrician and the school nurse (the campus is closed until next year anyway).) What should I tell him? What are the different types of antidepressants and how would the doctor know which one would work best for me? How about the cost? How expensive are they and is it possible to haggle with the doctor? Am I expected to see the doctor regularly? etc. etc.

Thanks.

Okay I'm on anti depressants but decided to come off them, all your doctor needs to know is the background of your depression and he'll come to a conclusion. I used to get a 6 month prescription they're not as bad as they sound and they did me wonders. I'm not too sure what the cost is since it differs over here in Australia but mine cost $20 a month getting totally ripped off I think it only cost $15 back home for 6 months (In New Zealand). You don't have to go to the doctor he should give you repeats so you wait until they nearly run out. No you can not haggle with the doctors over price it's a one price item, good try though. As for finding a doctor just find one in the telephone book and let them now that your a new patient as some doctors don't take new paitients on. I'ts pretty easy.

the doctor knows which one is best for you by guesswork. He puts you on one and if it doesnt work he tries another. But he does try to fit it based on the side effects and whether or not you need something that will sedate you or not.

You see the doctor semi regularly...a few times a year to make sure the meds are going well.

Most anti depressants are classified as selective saratonin re-uptake inhibitors. they work to balance out your saratonin levels. They include drugs like Lexapro, Efexxor, Welbutrin, Prozac, etc...

They help by 'levelling out' your moods. You will not get very depressed while on them, but you also won't get very happy either. Those 'no one likes me, I will never get a girl, no one loves me, no one cares about me' thoughts tend to go away.

I was on Effexxor, Welbutrin, and Lexapro for a time. The side effects I experienced on all three were extreme jitteriness, shaking/tremors, and loss of appetite. Alot of people on these meds have reported something like that at first, but once the body adjusts to the mediciation the jitteriness and tremors subside.

Sometimes these drugs are prescribed to help with weightloss, as they typically have strong apetite suppressing qualities.

These drugs are not controlled, and have no addictive qualities to them at all...unlike anti anxiety medications like Diazapam, Xanax, etc...

Personally, I could not get by the shakes. They were pretty extreme in my case to the point I could not drive or function normally, so I stopped taking them. However at the pharmacy where I work at a few folks here do take them with very postive results. Our sr pharmacists' husband is on Paxil, another ssri, and he swears by it. He has been taking it for years. He is also a pharmacist.

I know my mood swings, and when I get down, I get way down. I should probably be on something, but right now am doing pretty good working things out on my own by simply adopting positive lifestyle changes...getting out and talking to people, taking care of myself, calling someone when I get down, etc...

These medicines can be prescribed by any dr. My personal dr prescribed the effexxor for me. However, they normally would rather have you see a psychiatrist so you can be prescribed the most effective meds. When the effexxor didn't work for me they refrerred me to a psychiatrist. He examined me like any other dr, and scripted the other stuff.

For those that may be uncomfortable seeing a 'psychiatrist' I would like to point out that they are not therapist...those are psychologists. psychologists will try and talk you through your problems, and psychiatrists will try and medicate you through your problems (for the most part :)) However your family dr will usually try something first, and if that doesn't work refer you to a psychiatrist.

At my lowest when i had several anti-depressents, Efexxor made me ill when i started to take them and when i came off them. I had bad sweats, shakes and chronic anxiety and panic attacks.
I was put on Citalapram and i was fine apart from the sweats, dry mouth and lack of sleep, but that was a small price to pay for not having panics and anxiety.
I was off them for 2 years completley, before i decided that things had got on top of me again and i needed help, and im now back on citalipram and the familar sweats and lack of sleep and dry mouth are back but the nervousness and low feeling have gone.
I think for the short term, they do help.

Hi...Just a word of warning with anti-depressants. I've suffered from depression and anxiety most of my life, on and off, and I've always been extremely 'anti-drug' of any kind. Luckily, extensive counselling, positive self-talk, and just waiting out the storm, so to speak, have always worked for me, and I've been able to climb my way out of my depressions. That said, I also know that many, many people find anti-depressants work wonders for them, and that's great. Just do your research before going on any drug - don't let the doctor prescribe you something that you don't feel comfortable taking. Also, be aware that certain anti-depressants have been related to an increase in suicidal thoughts in children and teenagers. Anyway, I hope you feel better soon....:) Take care.

Yes it help at first to stablized me...but afterward , it just became
another form of something..i used to numb myself out to life.
I was a functioning alki/addict or whatever the hell you want to
label me for years...I did everything and felt nothing ...like a freaken
robot.

I threw the prozac away the day I sat and watched my children
playing, laughing and having a good time.

My duaghter actually came up to me and asked me what the hell was wrong with me....I felt nothing....not even love.

I still get anxiety or depression attacks today for no particular reasons. Not as much, not as long.
The feelings past...i know it's only it's only in my head. Sometimes i just sit still and chill..bascailly not
react or no mellow dramma. I can't go into selfpity...becuase I'll sink really fast and it becomes like a
wild fire out of control. Never the less...my thoughts are meaningless during a depression. I don't take myself
or anything so seriously..while in an anxiety attack.

Sometimes I just keep busy do chors or read something posistive. Take positive actions.
Turn on some relaxing music to calm me down or sooth my soul. Sometimes I'll just write in my journal.
Sometimes I'll just talk to someone or call a friend. Sometimes I'll just ride my bike to park and sit near
a pond and watch the water fall. Somtimes I'll just go outside to out in open space, it has claming effect
as if my mind is not blocked in ...like clearing out my mind. Sometimes I'll just go outside in my backyard
and smell the flowers and just look at them. Sometimes I'll just pick up my guitar and play it.

I'm more aware of what I eat. I also excersize to help minimize depression.
There's also HALT...don't get too hungry, angery,loney or tired...
Most of the time it's becuase I forgot to eat or didn't get a good night sleep.

yes..change my life style or live a healthier life style instead of poping pills and stairing at the TV
or walls all day.

Latest posts

Back