Any SL'ers Out There?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Estreen

Reaction score
Sophia and I have met up on SL (Second Life) and we were thinking that it'd be a great idea if others wanted to meet up in SL either in addition to, or instead of chat all the time. It's a little closer to RL than the chat anyway, lol.

For anyone that may not know what SL is, click here.

Whatcha all think? =]

Onnee of uuussss.....Onnnneee offf ussssss.....

Lololol. =P

I'm a spiffeh demon and Sophia's a smexy pirate. =D

Yeap, it's free. However you can buy Linden dollars, which is the gamemaker's money thing.

Yes, like 'Nilla said, it's free. No purchase necessary, and a lot of shops n' places there have freebies, and most of it is good stuff usually, not crap (I'm referring mostly to clothes and wearable items).

Or you could just go naked, balls to the walls... In fact, you don't even have to have human skin, nipples or balls. Just be a cloud of smoke.

Second Life fascinates my old, decrepit soul. It's clearly the way of the future. I'd love to try it, but I just don't have the time. But it looks great.

My old school slow ass dial up connection does not allow me to use SL, atleast without much frustration! My last attempt to play I spent most of my time stuck in the water and unable to move....so cannot. It sucks to have such a shitty dial up connection....

Ouch, I remember trying to play on a dial-up connection. *shudders* =\

I messed with that for a while ages ago. Can't say as I could see myself sticking. I met some very very frightening people in some of the area's there. One lady seemed to truely believe she was a vampire. Some people seemed alright, but it was frightening to me that people like lose themselves totally on SL.

Yeah I hear ya Skorian. I don't tend to stay for long as I usually end up getting bored and seeing all of those crazy-lookin' people just...eh. I dunno. I'll go on if I know someone on there who I can talk to; that's about it.

im on second life. i haven't got a clue what to do on there at all
i need help lol

I was thinking of starting a new thread about Second Life, but I think it makes more sense to bump this existing thread instead.

About 3 years ago, I was really heavily into Second Life. I would often spend all night on it, eventually logging off at about 6am. At first, I thought it was an amazing answer to my lack of companionship. However, eventually I got rather disturbed by it (it was my own fault), and left.

It's truly amazing how immersive it can be. You can never understand that immersion until you've experienced it yourself. You genuinely feel you're really "there". You take great care and pride in your avatar's appearance. You want to "dress" smartly. You find yourself instinctively obeying the social laws of personal space that exist in real life. For example, not standing too close to a person while speaking, and feeling uncomfortable if someone stands too close to you. Quite amazing.

But one day I realised that you have absolutely no idea what kind of people are behind these avatars. In particular, there appear to be a lot of guys using pretty female avatars. This fact, combined with the fact that Second Life is deeply immersive and feels very real, can lead to some very strange experiences if you're not thinking straight. I'm sure those of you who spend a lot of time in virtual worlds are aware of this, but I was thoroughly unprepared.

Here's what eventually freaked me out. I met a pretty girl avatar, owned by a girl who lived in Australia (or so "she" said). We spent a lot of time together, building things, showing each other what we'd created in the virtual world. It was fun, and felt great. But then things started getting a little romantic. It felt exciting. We went to a ballroom dance. I wore a tux, and "she" wore a stunning dress. The ballroom was beautiful. The music was beautiful. We had some slow romantic dances together, and started whispering sweet romantic things to each other.

Suddenly, I absolutely freaked out. I thought, "Oh s***, what the f*** am I doing??" I had allowed this fantasy to become dangerously real to me. I had absolutely no idea who was controlling this avatar, or even if they were female. Of course, it was my own fault. I should've stayed alert to the reality of the situation. But I was so desperate for a relationship at that time, and I had allowed this tempting fantasy to suck me right in. So I left SL after that night.

Now of course, SL can be used for many cool things. I know some people are heavily into role-playing, which sounds like a lot of fun if that's your thing. If you're creatively talented, you can actually make real money by selling your virtual creations. I wanted to give SL a go, but since there's no ultimate purpose for being there (unlike World of Warcraft, etc), you have to invent your own purpose. Building stuff in the virtual world is good fun. But eventually, I found there wasn't enough to keep me interested. I think I would've left anyway, even if I hadn't had that freaky "romantic" experience. I was looking for meaningful friendship at the time, and I'm glad I eventually realised that that fantasy world wasn't the right place in which to look for it.

Is anyone else here on SL? If so, what do you use it for? Have you had any cool or strange experiences? What do you think is the future of virtual worlds such as SL, WOW, etc?

Oh I empathize quiet guy. I met a girl there and ended up finding out it was a guy in real life.

That messed me up badly. messed with my head.

I left after that :/

Latest posts

Back