Anyone else lived a sedentary lifestyle for extended periods (2+ years) while in their 40+ years? And what has been your experience with it?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xephier102

Reaction score
I've been sedentary for the past couple years. I only leave the house to go grocery shopping, and not much else (since I'm stuck in a tiny town and there's nothing to do).
I definitely feel the health impact. I mean, I've always lived like this to some extent for most of my life. But before I got on disability, I had to go to work, or wouldn't have money to live. So I'm feelin it now. When I hold my arm out, and move it around, it snaps and pops as I rotate it. Even doing simple things like, shaking a tiny jar of mayo for a few minutes at the end of each day (for whatever reason), is actually exhausting, and hurts my arm.

Also, I sweat, non stop, all the time, and it's not normal person sweat.. It seems to solidify near instantly, creating a layer on my skin, which isn't visible to look at it, but creates an oily layer of stuff, that rubs off sorta like dried glue (if dried glue was oily). Even in the winter in the middle of the night with my patio window half open, I sweat. and it wouldn't even matter if I showered every day, cuz the same night I shower, I already have this oily buildup.. What I would give to go back to sweating like a normal human being.. Or well, ideally go back to sweating like I did when I was 10, lol.. Back then it was like literally sweating water, then puberty happened, and it became stinky. But this sweat now, and the feeling I get of it on my skin is just cringy.. And it don't come off my skin easy either.. I've flattened down the bristles on my shower brush to turn it into a pseudo SoS pad on a stick.. >,<

I'm also curious what the longest is that someone could live with a sedentary lifestyle. I tried googling it, but the answer it gave was 2 or 3 years, but that answer was using the wrong numbers from the website.

I only leave the house for doctor's appointments and special occasions, i.e., my daughter's wedding. It has been going on for five years now. I, too, started with a disability after an accident affecting C3,4,5 spinal. I know how lonely it can be. As for your sweating, I feel so genuinely sorry you are going through that, and I wish you well. This forum is a safe space to vent. I am thankful I found it.

I live outside the city and and live a fairly sedentary life, but by choice. I spent 25 years of my life clubbing uptown, playing sports and getting in trouble. Now I prefer a quiet life. I go out every month for groceries and stuff. As far as your issue with sweating, have you tried walking daily and/or consulting a doctor?

I only leave the house for doctor's appointments and special occasions, i.e., my daughter's wedding. It has been going on for five years now. I, too, started with a disability after an accident affecting C3,4,5 spinal. I know how lonely it can be. As for your sweating, I feel so genuinely sorry you are going through that, and I wish you well. This forum is a safe space to vent. I am thankful I found it.
Honestly it's one of the few places left in which I can speak my mind. Most other places have fully shut down political conversation. Quora still allows it but you can only really ask questions there, no one reads your posts.

And reddit does on specified sub reddits, but it's not an actual forum like this one, if you post something intellectual, your post will probably only get a couple/few replies before it's pushed outta existence. But if you post something stupid, it'll go viral.. fukin internet.. nobody is interested in anything unless they can giggle at it or rage at it..

After bouncing around those for a bit, I typically end up back here.

On the lighter side of things, apparently Elon musk is going to buy Twitter in an attempt to reinstate free speech on the internet. I think I'm actually starting to like that guy. And just when I thought all billionaires were pricks.

I live outside the city and and live a fairly sedentary life, but by choice. I spent 25 years of my life clubbing uptown, playing sports and getting in trouble. Now I prefer a quiet life. I go out every month for groceries and stuff. As far as your issue with sweating, have you tried walking daily and/or consulting a doctor?
Tiny town, nowhere to walk to that won't only remind me that I'm still stuck in a tiny town.. I was born and raised in Calgary, AB. As metropolitan cities go, it's a smaller one, but it's fukin titanic compared to where I'm living now.

I started to get out a bit last summer, but only cuz I thought I had a GF, but then she ghosted me, and that was the end of that. And since then my physical state has gone downhill, and I don't even feel like doing anything when I'm in a decent mood.

Frankly, I've gotta get back to the city. That will be the one thing to motivate me to go out, cuz A: there's actually stuff to do, movies, malls, food courts, exploration .etc. I could even get a gym membership.

Small towns are a good place to go if you've got a vehicle/licence, or if you're old AF to retire, but not so great to grow up in, or be in, if you don't even have a licence. Well, or if you like woodsy honeysuckle. I had a bit of a taste for it when I first moved out here, cuz I had a motorcycle, and a shitload of cash, but now I don't, and I got a shitload of debt, lol.. so it's lost it's allure, and I could likely be happy if I never see another pine tree again..

Or to put it another way, cities are a good place to live, small towns are a good place to die.

I’m a writer so I spend a large chunk of my day sitting, but yes, I can relate - especially since the whole COVID situation. I'm also naturally a homebody and COVID didn't really help that in terms of getting out and about.

Like you, I live in a fairly small town/city (actually, I think you live in the Kootenays, right? Me too) and I don't really like walking around my neighbourhood much as I always feel like I'm being watched. No doubt my imagination, but I'd prefer to walk somewhere more private/out in the woods. We recently bought a MaxTrainer in order to get some much-needed exercise. I also garden, so I'm often out in the yard mucking about - that's not intensive exercise or anything, haha, but better than sitting like a slug in front of the TV.

I’m a writer so I spend a large chunk of my day sitting, but yes, I can relate - especially since the whole COVID situation. I'm also naturally a homebody and COVID didn't really help that in terms of getting out and about.

Like you, I live in a fairly small town/city (actually, I think you live in the Kootenays, right? Me too) and I don't really like walking around my neighbourhood much as I always feel like I'm being watched. No doubt my imagination, but I'd prefer to walk somewhere more private/out in the woods. We recently bought a MaxTrainer in order to get some much-needed exercise. I also garden, so I'm often out in the yard mucking about - that's not intensive exercise or anything, haha, but better than sitting like a slug in front of the TV.
I considered buying a Bowflex but decided to put the resources into getting myself out of this town instead. Vancouver will be new to me and there's much to explore. I've been there before but never really had the time to look around. Don't look forward to driving there, but I do look forward to being able to drive again.

I considered buying a Bowflex but decided to put the resources into getting myself out of this town instead. Vancouver will be new to me and there's much to explore. I've been there before but never really had the time to look around. Don't look forward to driving there, but I do look forward to being able to drive again.
Expensive place to live I hear.

Expensive place to live I hear.
Everyone says that about cities.. It's not that much more than small towns. Since inflation jacked the rents everywhere, you're paying a thousand or more a month for a one bedroom apartment in a small town now.. cities might be a few hundred more, but the difference is, that one bedroom apartment would be in the middle of the city, perhaps on the 10+ floor, and overlooking a vast metropolitan city. I think the people that really talk about how expensive it is to live there, are the fancy rich folk that can afford to buy houses. Cuz yea.. If you're dumping 100-200k+ on a place to live, then the price differences can affect you a bit more.

Everyone says that about cities.. It's not that much more than small towns. Since inflation jacked the rents everywhere, you're paying a thousand or more a month for a one bedroom apartment in a small town now.. cities might be a few hundred more, but the difference is, that one bedroom apartment would be in the middle of the city, perhaps on the 10+ floor, and overlooking a vast metropolitan city. I think the people that really talk about how expensive it is to live there, are the fancy rich folk that can afford to buy houses. Cuz yea.. If you're dumping 100-200k+ on a place to live, then the price differences can affect you a bit more.
Makes sense. Never thought of it that way. Nice to meet you by the way.

I had a point after my stay of commitment and other stuff, when I thought I'd jump right back into work. Had to do it forever it seems (work) . I was not ready. So i had to take a break. I still left the house, went on walks. But for a little over two years i was stuck at home until my meds and therapies finally merged and balance. Now, i know this exactly what you meant, but for me it was torturous. So no, seditary life is not fun at all in my experience.

I had a point after my stay of commitment and other stuff, when I thought I'd jump right back into work. Had to do it forever it seems (work) . I was not ready. So i had to take a break. I still left the house, went on walks. But for a little over two years i was stuck at home until my meds and therapies finally merged and balance. Now, i know this exactly what you meant, but for me it was torturous. So no, seditary life is not fun at all in my experience.
Certainly not, quite depressing really..

The right types of meds can help to some extent, but mainstream therapy is mostly a crock of honeysuckle. They're basically just taught to tell you to get over it, or deal with it. But not so much around coaching you to fix the issues that brought you to this state.

Well, unless you mean physical therapy, in which case, none of the above applies.

I know what ya mean about work though.. Ya get so used to it for X amount of years/decades, then ya stop doin it for a year or so, and remember that this isn't the human way to live.. Basically just slaves to the system.. And we're rendered so tired by 40 hr work weeks, that we don't have the energy to consider other possibilities.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back