Anyone feel like a product of their generation whether they like it or not?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ardour

Well known loser
Reaction score
Young people appear pretty nice these days, sometimes it’s like I’m talking to a different species. A lot of out and proud LGBT individuals. But oddly, the biggest change seems to be with straight men, who are generally less aggressive. There’s a bit of bro talk here and there but it’s nothing like the nastiness I routinely encountered in the 90s/early 2000s.

Whenever I come across younger men being friendly, say around university or at a meetup, once I get past the initial suspicion that they’re being sarcastic, I end up thinking about how they would have been humiliated and bullied in my school. I feel embarrassed for them.

Anyway, by the time I relax enough, it's already too late. This has probably cost me a dozen or more potential friends. Not that it matters anyway, my life has been over for 10 years. All that’s left is to mull over the past. So I’ll look for clues in the social media accounts of the arseholes I grew up around, thinking maybe time has warped my perspective and it wasn't all that bad or abnormal.

Nope. They’re mostly the same nasty pieces of work they always were. The same arrogance, toned down a bit. Insulting each other constantly (the only way Real Men are allowed to relate). Conformist, following similar life trajectories: OE’s in the UK (where else), and even there they just flatted with other Kiwis and went drinking together, as if they couldn’t even appreciate a new country but would rather ‘fly the flag’ and stick it to the poms instead. Then home to some corporate job. No interesting hobbies and certainly no creative interests. Their Linkedin profiles read as if they were barely literate. Arseholes without an original thought or anything interesting or relatable about them. Yet most of them have been rewarded with partners and kids.

Having grown up in the tail end of an intolerant culture has left me unable to drop my guard or show much emotion. I can't force a smile a lot of the time. Even if I could somehow turn back my biological age, now way could I fit in with younger millennials or Gen Z. The ‘firmware’ that was coded decades ago can’t be updated.

Last edited:
Young people appear so nice these days, sometimes it’s like I’m talking to a different species. A lot of out and proud LGBT individuals, but oddly, the biggest change seems to be with straight men who are a lot less aggressive. There’s a bit of bro talk here and there but it’s nothing like the nastiness I routinely encountered in the 90s/early 2000s.
Interesting. I hadn't noticed that. But, I normally just stick to myself and do my own thing.

I guess it just depends on where you live. The young people around here are entitled little shits that think they are special. So yeah, just younger versions of their parents with a little more open mindedness. Must just be the southern US.

I dunno if it's a location thing, but I feel it's the opposite here lol. Lots more jerkoffs and testosterone fueled YOs to my liking.

I wouldn't say I'm a product of my generation, it's not like I followed all social trends closely, but I had my grandpa's influence, which was a definite 50s-60s vibe, my dad's, which was a 70s-80s vibe and my own, a mix of that in a 90's 2000's vibe. Kind of a melting pot of attitudes 😜

Latest posts

Back