Anyone in Vancouver city area looking for a roommate, or to go in on a place with someone?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xephier102

Reaction score
I just moved to Vancouver a couple days ago, and so far, finding a place seems to be very difficult compared to when I last did it several years ago (in Cranbrook).

You'd think that Vancouver would be easier to find a place in, than Cranbrook, but..

A: so many of these renters are bigoted towards men (they insist in the ad, "girls only"). That should not be a prerequisite just to have a place to live. Especially considering that the worldwide statistics on homelessness show that there's overwhelmingly more homeless men than women. This is only different in a couple places on the planet, and those places only have around 20 homeless people.
(If what was gathered from the above, is that I am a misogynist, then you need to re-read it. Because the practice of only granting women a place to live, is actually very misandrist).

B: no one seems to be responding to my replies to the ads (mix of simple replies "hi, is this available" and more complex ones letting the person know that I am new here to Vancouver, then asking if that listing is still available).

C: the one that has replied, is putting off serious red flags of being a scam. Like asking me to E-transfer them money, without meeting with their agent (they currently live in New York, so they say), seeing the place, or signing a rental agreement.

As for me, as a person, I'm fairly quiet, and mostly keep to myself, unless you get me talking, then I can talk, lol. But I don't drink or do drugs. I'm not a partier type. I prefer a more quiet atmosphere, and will probably be going to school here once I get set up.

I always pay rent on time, mostly clean my dishes as I use them, and spend the bulk of my time gaming, doing research, or working on advancing my skills in graphic design.

I'm also not a control freak when it comes to my roommates. All I ask is not to leave dishes in the sink for days at a time, pay rent on time, and don't be super loud. Also, obvious things, like don't bring any sketchy people, or people that you barely know, into the apartment. That's mostly for security, cuz I don't want my stuff to go 'missing'.

As for the type of place I'd like if we were to rent a place from scratch; I would like an apartment with a nice view. Or a house within walking distance to the train, and nice looking (not the style of place that looks like the perfect home to birth/raise a crack-baby. IE: no crack-houses, lol..).

My monthly budget for rent is 500-850, prefer to keep it under 950 after hydro/internet

I just moved to Vancouver a couple days ago, and so far, finding a place seems to be very difficult compared to when I last did it several years ago (in Cranbrook).

You'd think that Vancouver would be easier to find a place in, than Cranbrook, but..

A: so many of these renters are bigoted towards men (they insist in the ad, "girls only"). That should not be a prerequisite just to have a place to live. Especially considering that the worldwide statistics on homelessness show that there's overwhelmingly more homeless men than women. This is only different in a couple places on the planet, and those places only have around 20 homeless people.
(If what was gathered from the above, is that I am a misogynist, then you need to re-read it. Because the practice of only granting women a place to live, is actually very misandrist).

B: no one seems to be responding to my replies to the ads (mix of simple replies "hi, is this available" and more complex ones letting the person know that I am new here to Vancouver, then asking if that listing is still available).

C: the one that has replied, is putting off serious red flags of being a scam. Like asking me to E-transfer them money, without meeting with their agent (they currently live in New York, so they say), seeing the place, or signing a rental agreement.

As for me, as a person, I'm fairly quiet, and mostly keep to myself, unless you get me talking, then I can talk, lol. But I don't drink or do drugs. I'm not a partier type. I prefer a more quiet atmosphere, and will probably be going to school here once I get set up.

I always pay rent on time, mostly clean my dishes as I use them, and spend the bulk of my time gaming, doing research, or working on advancing my skills in graphic design.

I'm also not a control freak when it comes to my roommates. All I ask is not to leave dishes in the sink for days at a time, pay rent on time, and don't be super loud. Also, obvious things, like don't bring any sketchy people, or people that you barely know, into the apartment. That's mostly for security, cuz I don't want my stuff to go 'missing'.

As for the type of place I'd like if we were to rent a place from scratch; I would like an apartment with a nice view. Or a house within walking distance to the train, and nice looking (not the style of place that looks like the perfect home to birth/raise a crack-baby. IE: no crack-houses, lol..).

My monthly budget for rent is 500-850, prefer to keep it under 950 after hydro/internet
Sorry, but kinda figured this would happen - I did try to warn you in a previous post. Rent is astronomical in Vancouver - you’re looking at $2000+ for a 1 bedroom apartment. Check out this article: https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/real-estate/rent-vancouver-apartment-june-2022-5486046

Anyway, glad you’re not falling for the many scams out there. Not sure what to suggest otherwise. I posted links to some social housing sites/homeless shelters in your previous post about going to Vancouver.

Keep smiling - hope you have some luck finding housing.

That does not sound fun. I definitely would only deal with someone in person at the address with proof they are the owner or owner's agent.
Yea.. finding a place to live has never been so difficult.. and it shouldn't be with all the advancements we've made..

Sorry, but kinda figured this would happen - I did try to warn you in a previous post. Rent is astronomical in Vancouver - you’re looking at $2000+ for a 1 bedroom apartment. Check out this article: https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/real-estate/rent-vancouver-apartment-june-2022-5486046

Anyway, glad you’re not falling for the many scams out there. Not sure what to suggest otherwise. I posted links to some social housing sites/homeless shelters in your previous post about going to Vancouver.

Keep smiling - hope you have some luck finding housing.
That's cost for average apartments, not lowest cost apartments. Also I'm not looking to rent a full apartment on my own. I am looking for a roommate. Surely there must be other people that are looking for a place like me, and aren't on 6 figure salaries..

That's cost for average apartments, not lowest cost apartments. Also I'm not looking to rent a full apartment on my own. I am looking for a roommate. Surely there must be other people that are looking for a place like me, and aren't on 6 figure salaries..
Yep, I would assume there’s lots of people looking for roommates. I would start by posting a ‘Roommate wanted’ ad on sites like Kijiji and local Vancouver-related websites - see what comes of it. I’ll see if I can find any websites that I can pass along that might be useful.

Huh. Bummer. So what are you doing for living arrangements in the meantime?? Hope you're OK.
I'm alive, but but not what I'd call living..

I'm just sleeping in a tent in the tent city thing down by the water. My legs were bruised up from sleeping on the hard ground near my storage unit the first night, and then in the tent on the second night, so I bought an inflatable air mattress, and that helps, but I'm not sure how long that'll last. It's not really intended to be slept on long term, nor to be in these fluctuating temperatures.. Like it was chilly last night but super hot this morning. Plus it won't last at all if I can't get a place by the colder months.

One non-scam place responded, but they were only looking for a tenant for one month, and it'd be so much worse going back to the street a month from now after having a place..

I'm alive, but but not what I'd call living..

I'm just sleeping in a tent in the tent city thing down by the water. My legs were bruised up from sleeping on the hard ground near my storage unit the first night, and then in the tent on the second night, so I bought an inflatable air mattress, and that helps, but I'm not sure how long that'll last. It's not really intended to be slept on long term, nor to be in these fluctuating temperatures.. Like it was chilly last night but super hot this morning. Plus it won't last at all if I can't get a place by the colder months.

One non-scam place responded, but they were only looking for a tenant for one month, and it'd be so much worse going back to the street a month from now after having a place..
Hmmm. . . Have you checked out the homeless shelters for now? Might be better than sleeping on the street - been there, done that. Not cool.

But that would give you a month to find something else, while having a safe comfortable place to live.
I agree with this. Better a comfortable, safe place for one month as opposed to roughing it - it would buy you some time.

But that would give you a month to find something else, while having a safe comfortable place to live.
Yea, but would be the effect of false hope if I can't find anything before getting out of that place. Being discomforted isn't good, but you get used to the lack of comfort. It's so much more jarring to be jolted back and forth between comfort, and discomfort.

Hmmm. . . Have you checked out the homeless shelters for now? Might be better than sleeping on the street - been there, done that. Not cool.

I agree with this. Better a comfortable, safe place for one month as opposed to roughing it - it would buy you some time.
This isn't like Calgary Alberta, or Toronto, I've only seen one thing that may be a homeless shelter, and it looked pretty sketchy tbh.. it made the tent city look inviting in contrast.. also, it's seriously disheartening to see the amount of homeless people here.. I've never seen this in a metropolitan city in my life..

Legit.. there's homeless people sleeping all over the streets.. like, on the sidewalks outside of businesses.. there's used needles all over the place.. and the smell of human piss is never far away..

I almost want to cry, to think of the heartlessness of those with all the power in this country.. talk about "people that fell through the cracks" there ain't no cracks here.. It's a fukin grand canyon..

So yea, even if there is a non-sketchy shelter, guaranteed it's probably got reservations booked indefinitely (being facetiousness, obviously homeless shelters don't take bookings).

This isn't like Calgary Alberta, or Toronto, I've only seen one thing that may be a homeless shelter, and it looked pretty sketchy tbh.. it made the tent city look inviting in contrast.. also, it's seriously disheartening to see the amount of homeless people here.. I've never seen this in a metropolitan city in my life..

Legit.. there's homeless people sleeping all over the streets.. like, on the sidewalks outside of businesses.. there's used needles all over the place.. and the smell of human piss is never far away..

I almost want to cry, to think of the heartlessness of those with all the power in this country.. talk about "people that fell through the cracks" there ain't no cracks here.. It's a fukin grand canyon..

So yea, even if there is a non-sketchy shelter, guaranteed it's probably got reservations booked indefinitely (being facetiousness, obviously homeless shelters don't take bookings).
I hear ya. Our society is in a sad, sad state of affairs at the moment in so many ways, homelessness being only one of many ills. There's lots of homeless people around the Kootenays as well. The poor are just getting poorer it seems - rent, food, cost of living, fuel. . . the list goes on and on.

Anyway, do keep us posted. Hope you can find a decent, safe place to rest your head.

I hear ya. Our society is in a sad, sad state of affairs at the moment in so many ways, homelessness being only one of many ills. There's lots of homeless people around the Kootenays as well. The poor are just getting poorer it seems - rent, food, cost of living, fuel. . . the list goes on and on.

Anyway, do keep us posted. Hope you can find a decent, safe place to rest your head.
It doesn't just 'seem' it is. And things are engineered to just keep getting worse.. Since there's no laws against monopolies anymore, we've got single entities effectively buying everything.. I'm sure you may heard of Blackrock by now. That company owns.. not everything, but it has it's fingers in damned near everything..

This is what happens when you allow the world to be run by currency, and don't put any measures in to stop someone from exponentially gaining the surplus of the world's currency in money, and assets. Eventually we'll end up with a handful of company's that rule the world.. or perhaps just one. Money and power are the only incentives for anything.. and people wonder why the majority are unhappy.. it's not any form of 'entitlement' besides the entitlement to a basic human life..

Latest posts

Back