Anyone play guitar?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjisbyhimself

Reaction score
Recently I have stepped back into playing after 25/30 years. When I was a kid I started on a small acoustic guitar. I don't recall what brand it was but it was a cheapie. Fret buzz and some of the upper frets sounded the same. This was around 1982. On my 9th birthday, in 1983, I received my very first electric: a Peavey T-15, 3/4 electric guitar. All wood with a white pick guard. I still have it and it needs work done on it.

As a kid I knew notes, chords and certain methods but I didn't take full advantage of learning certain techniques like scales, modes, terms, etc and I was on the haphazard side of guitar. I could play but I wasn't as good/fluent and I wasn't a fast player. Fast forward to now, I wish I could have disciplined myself with the instrument.

I decided on diving into classical guitar because this area is very involved and requires deep understanding of music theory and techniques. Techniques not just on how to play the guitar but also on good posture, breathing, body positioning, instrument positioning, coordination, muscle memory, precision and so forth.

I have a Cort guitar that I inherited from an old friend who passed away in February of 2020. A few weeks ago I had the guitar inspected and set up by a pro. Before the set up, the guitar was OK but afterward it was fresh and tone beautiful! The problem is that finger playing with this guitar can be on the painful side. Steel strings. The newer strings are lighter gauge also. My fingertips are still slightly numb and tender from recently playing. When I played with the nylon stringed guitars at the guitar store, playing felt good even though my fingers were on the sore side. I am stuck with deciding between two Cordoba models.

Anyone here play guitar?

I think its amazing you can play!! I wish I could play, I own soooooo many guitars but simply cant play even a little 😂

Welcome to the forums, I can strum a few chords.

I decided on diving into classical guitar because this area is very involved and requires deep understanding of music theory and techniques. Techniques not just on how to play the guitar but also on good posture, breathing, body positioning, instrument positioning, coordination, muscle memory, precision and so forth.
Sounds like bloody hard work to me. I'm more from the Keith Richards school of playing, catchy riffs and composition over technical ability.

Good luck with your journey man :)

I think its amazing you can play!! I wish I could play, I own soooooo many guitars but simply cant play even a little 😂
I would have 7 guitars in storage but I gave up one to someone, many years ago. It was a Peavey T-60 Starburst but it was modified, whole body was painted black. It had so many issues with it but I had a fondness with it. I even gave it the name "Agatha", lol.

If you get interested there are loads of lessons online. A lot of them are free. There is so much information about any instrument that it can make anyone dizzy. Start at the beginning and take things in small chunks. There will be a lot of tediousness and repetition. Importantly, make sure that your guitar or whatever other instrument that you may have is set up right, adjusted, cleaned and with new strings put on. One of the reasons that many people will give up playing is because of the instrument being hard to play or even unplayable. My above example of that cheapie kid acoustic that I had is one example of a frustrating and unplayable instrument. I remember that I was so frustrated with that guitar that near the end I used it a few times to play wiffle ball with. My grandmother played the pitcher, lol.

Welcome to the forums, I can strum a few chords.

Sounds like bloody hard work to me. I'm more from the Keith Richards school of playing, catchy riffs and composition over technical ability.

Good luck with your journey man :)
Thanks, RG. Yeah it is going to be a lot. I'm very curious to see where this all goes. Are you in a band or are you solo? Keith is a great finger style player too.

Looks like I made my decision. I bought a Cordoba C3M today.
Looks like a good choice from a quick google, not a maker I'm familiar with.

I used to play in bands when I was younger, it's not an environment I'm comfortable in anymore far too many temptations and I'm a very weak man. I do the odd open mic, sessions and teach nowadays and make sure I'm home ( alone ) and tucked up in my bed by 9pm.

If you're ever really bored try Keith's open G tuning it's bloody insane. 🎸

Life long guitar player (well, started at age 8, I'm 53 now)...glad to see there are a few other players here (doesn't it seem like rock guitar is a dying craft, or even rock music in general, certainly nothing like it was in past decades anyway?). I built a home studio in a spare bedroom so I could really indulge in the hobby. I will say this, being chronically single and lonely, music has literally been my salvation, a great distraction from the bland existence I'm laboring through.

At the moment I have 8 or 9 electric guitars, couple of basses, a keyboard and a few amps.

I've been playing for 35years, but sadly the last 10 years I haven't played at all. Grew up in the 80's and 90's listening to metal and rock then got into jazz in my 30's. I took lessons with the guitarist from Testament for a while, before he rejoined the band. I'm going to get my guitars set up and start playing again soon. It's been so long that I'm afraid I've forgotten how to play. I need to figure out a setup that works in an apartment building, so I don't bother the neighbors. Might have to get a headphone setup and some software program for the amp.

I play guitar too, anyone from this topic still active ?

Im not so much into rock now. I play rock-ish things just by reflex, but its not the main music Im interested now, Ill never want to play in a rock band anymore, I play AC/DC like riffs, ZZ Top ish, solos ala Gary Moore. I started listening jazz couple or years ago, I like some stuff but sometimes can be really boring. I try to do instrumental music. I listen classical, flamengo, bossa nova, etc, and then I play whatever I think it sounds good to me, I dont like to play covers. I have an Ibanez RG, not a very high end one but not the cheapest, and a nylon one, I love to play nylon. Ill like an archtop but a good archtop is really expensive.

unfortunately I don't and I consider it one of the greatest skills someone can have (especially the electric guitar) ... same with keyboard

Last edited:
I do play guitar, but I'd never be mistaken for a virtuoso. I'm pretty much a basic strummer/picker, with a few embellishments here and there.

Oh i just got mine in today, i also hadnt played for a few years. But i noticed i still have the muscle memory for the verses of Metallica's "Fade to black". Thats the best of my ability right now. And yeah my fingers also hurt.
Its gonna be a while before ill get back to my old level of play i think though.

Drums = Rogers

Bass Guitar = Charvel

Guitar = Charvel

12 string Guitar = Unsure of brand

Trumpet = King

Main instruments were drums, bass, and trumpet.

All collecting dust in my attic since 1994.

I was never good enough except for playing at parties or other venues in college, bars, and church band - I was more of a fill-in whenever various band members would be missing such as going home for the weekend during college in the 80s.

got this one the other day...:love:
Oh you just got a new one aswell? Very nice!
Mines more of a beginner guitar, but the quality is actually quite good.

@Bones 2.0 a 12 string must feel very weird to play, like can you even play those with just your finger tips?
I also never thought i was good enough, and ive never played live. My old teacher always wanted me to though. He was a old jazz guitarist who was trying to learn me how to play more free flow, but all i rememver now is the A minor scale.

Oh you just got a new one aswell? Very nice!
Mines more of a beginner guitar, but the quality is actually quite good.

@Bones 2.0 a 12 string must feel very weird to play, like can you even play those with just your finger tips?
I also never thought i was good enough, and ive never played live. My old teacher always wanted me to though. He was a old jazz guitarist who was trying to learn me how to play more free flow, but all i rememver now is the A minor scale.
Since my main instrument was bass as compared to guitar,I only either plucked or used a pick. On the guitar,I filled in on rare occasions as the rhythm guitar player which makes sense and easier then lear. Lol. As for the 12 string,I tried using my fingers the correct way, but with limited success. The only reason that I got 12 string was my ex wife thought I had devil music and basically traded all my music CDs for it at a pawn shop and simply experimented with it.

Latest posts

Back