are you looking forward

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 188685

sunflower lover
Reaction score
do you look forward to the future,or are you scared of the unknown,because of how the world is now,I think I'm scared of the future,because no one knows what will happen to the world,because of everything that has been going on in the world,it's just so depressing to even think about the future.

No, I don't. It seems like everything keeps going from bad to worse.

The other day I had an idea come to me, both about the state of things here at home, and the world in general -

this is the worst things have ever been (during my lifetime), but it's also not going to get any better.

Every time things get worse, that becomes "the new normal" that things don't improve from - until the next time things get worse. Then that becomes "the new normal", and so on and so forth. I would love to be proven wrong, but I really don't think I will be.

I've really been struggling lately with pessimism, because of this. Some days I don't see how I will even get to OK, much less happiness, ever again.

I think for things to get better in the world, capitalism will have to change. Or we'll have to evolve beyond it to something else. I think it's overstayed its welcome, and what used to work about it in the past, doesn't work anymore today. I mean, we don't use the same technology decade after decade, we try to improve things to make them more effective. I don't know what to change it to, though. The problem is, whenever you criticize capitalism especially in America, say there are things that are wrong with it, could use improvement/reconsideration, or are just not the best, the default response is that you're lazy and/or a communist, as if "America as it is right now" and "communist dictatorship" are the only two ways of having a society. Capitalism, survival of the fittest, egotism, and hyper-individualism are practically a religion here, and if you criticize it, you're seen as a heretic. People are quick to say that if you're having a problem with it, it's because you're the one at fault (so they can pat themselves on the back for not having a problem, or say "hey, at least I'm better than that guy!" - it's a mix of self-righteousness, ass-kissing, and egotism, both acting superior and sycophantic at the same time, which is why I've always found that personality to be gross), rather than even considering that maybe the system isn't working anymore because it isn't compatible with the changes in the modern world, or that maybe it wasn't that good in the first place. I think it's arrogant for people to assume that the best way to run a society was discovered during the Industrial Revolution, and no better way could possibly exist, or we can't even improve upon that old way, nope, that's it, best system ever. I don't think it makes me lazy or a communist to say that the way things are right now, isn't working for more and more people all the time, so maybe we should try something else. Or at the very least change what we have now to make it even a little less bad. While I do believe in personal freedom and individuality, I also think this system of "every man for himself", increasing individualism - not the same thing as individuality - isn't good for most people. I feel like most people could really use the help of social safety nets, to stay in the middle class and at least be able to live functional lives.

Sorry for the downer post, but this has honestly been how I've been feeling lately.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say I'm scared of the future, but I do wonder if we (as in our planet - our collective humanity) can ever get our honeysuckle together and learn to live peacefully, to learn respect for ourselves, our environment and our place in the universe or will we annihliate ourselves before we ever get to that point?

I have a son, so I'd like to think that his generation will grow up to be more responsible about our world and our place in it. Sadly, I think (scratch that - KNOW) they will be the generation that is forced to clean up past mistakes and fresia-ups. But I also think they're far wiser than generations past and are growing up to recognize that our planet isn't the free-for-all that we've treated it as and that we all have a responsibility to nuture and care for it.

No. I'm not scared. But, I'm definitely concerned. It amazes me how we've identified several HUGE very serious problems. But, we do almost nothing to solve them. I'm standing back watching the train wreck that's coming on several fronts. However, like many, I just hope I can live my life fully without having to deal with the coming problems. I have no children. So, beyound my life it doesn't really matter.

With that said, I am doing way more then my part to help with the problems. My footprint on this planet is minimal. If everybody else did that the problems would nearly go away. The funny thing is that most people have offspring. Yet, they completely ignore the looming problems that are absolutely going to wreak havoc on all of us and live like there is no tomorrow ignoring all the problems.

No. I'm not scared. But, I'm definitely concerned. It amazes me how we've identified several HUGE very serious problems. But, we do almost nothing to solve them. I'm standing back watching the train wreck that's coming on several fronts. However, like many, I just hope I can live my life fully without having to deal with the coming problems. I have no children. So, beyound my life it doesn't really matter.

With that said, I am doing way more then my part to help with the problems. My footprint on this planet is minimal. If everybody else did that the problems would nearly go away. The funny thing is that most people have offspring. Yet, they completely ignore the looming problems that are absolutely going to wreak havoc on all of us and live like there is no tomorrow ignoring all the problems.
True

No, I don't. It seems like everything keeps going from bad to worse.

The other day I had an idea come to me, both about the state of things here at home, and the world in general -

this is the worst things have ever been (during my lifetime), but it's also not going to get any better.

Every time things get worse, that becomes "the new normal" that things don't improve from - until the next time things get worse. Then that becomes "the new normal", and so on and so forth. I would love to be proven wrong, but I really don't think I will be.

I've really been struggling lately with pessimism, because of this. Some days I don't see how I will even get to OK, much less happiness, ever again.

I think for things to get better in the world, capitalism will have to change. Or we'll have to evolve beyond it to something else. I think it's overstayed its welcome, and what used to work about it in the past, doesn't work anymore today. I mean, we don't use the same technology decade after decade, we try to improve things to make them more effective. I don't know what to change it to, though. The problem is, whenever you criticize capitalism especially in America, say there are things that are wrong with it, could use improvement/reconsideration, or are just not the best, the default response is that you're lazy and/or a communist, as if "America as it is right now" and "communist dictatorship" are the only two ways of having a society. Capitalism, survival of the fittest, egotism, and hyper-individualism are practically a religion here, and if you criticize it, you're seen as a heretic. People are quick to say that if you're having a problem with it, it's because you're the one at fault (so they can pat themselves on the back for not having a problem, or say "hey, at least I'm better than that guy!" - it's a mix of self-righteousness, ass-kissing, and egotism, both acting superior and sycophantic at the same time, which is why I've always found that personality to be gross), rather than even considering that maybe the system isn't working anymore because it isn't compatible with the changes in the modern world, or that maybe it wasn't that good in the first place. I think it's arrogant for people to assume that the best way to run a society was discovered during the Industrial Revolution, and no better way could possibly exist, or we can't even improve upon that old way, nope, that's it, best system ever. I don't think it makes me lazy or a communist to say that the way things are right now, isn't working for more and more people all the time, so maybe we should try something else. Or at the very least change what we have now to make it even a little less bad. While I do believe in personal freedom and individuality, I also think this system of "every man for himself", increasing individualism - not the same thing as individuality - isn't good for most people. I feel like most people could really use the help of social safety nets, to stay in the middle class and at least be able to live functional lives.

Sorry for the downer post, but this has honestly been how I've been feeling lately.
I agree

Latest posts

Back