Are you religious?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyway on topic "The God's delusion" isn't a bad book, can't say it deserves 2 million + copies sold. Maybe Dawkins's thoughts were "haha those stupid Americans they will buy anything from a smart-sounding Briton", yet seeing how my part of the world was officially atheistic for decades during communism and it was even a long time ago I don't think he's saying anything new or shocking. Meanwhile the life of Brian could've been controversial or Nietzsche take on things in the 19th century, as well as Bakunin or Voltaire way before them.

Let's be clear...you do NOT have my respect. People who say things like you've said the last few days will NEVER have my respect. Your harassment isn't welcome here, why don't you take it somewhere else.

Anyway - am I religious?

I don't really feel religious most of the time - though sometimes I wish I could, because it must be reassuring to feel like there is a higher purpose to life, and that there is a life after this one.

For one thing, I feel like religion came about when early humans observed things happening in the world that they didn't have the science yet to understand and explain. Then those ideas spread like a game of telephone, until we got to the religions we have today.

Then I also feel like kings, religious leaders, politicians, and capitalists/rich people in general, realized they could use religion as a means of controlling the masses, and not fixing this world, but keeping it bad, so they could keep benefitting from it and keep holding on to power. "Don't worry that this life will be lousy for you, and that we have everything and you have nothing, because as long as you act like good little workers and do what you're told and don't get out of line, you'll get yours in the next life. LOL." It kind of feels like a big scam.

Finally there's a lot of horrible things that happen in the world - I don't see how that is all "God's plan". Why would a deity with absolute power allow these things to happen, and at the same time, allow some truly wicked people, to live long lives of ease and luxury, and to get away with all their misdeeds?

In my personal life, I've never really experienced anything to make me feel like a supernatural world exists.

But I would like to believe it does. I would like for there to be that possibility.
For one, I want to believe that there's more to life than just dry, mundane reality. I'd like to believe there's something more fantastic out there.
And I would like to believe that good and evil truly exist, and aren't just human constructs, and that there is something higher than cold, uncaring competition, cynicism, and survival of the fittest. I like the idea that there is more to life than "might makes right", I think religion helped people feel like there was a higher way than that, and helped civilize us at least somewhat. I like the idea that kindness is NOT weakness, but is higher than base instinct and competition.
And finally, I want to believe that there's life after this one, that our consciousness continues to exist, and that my loved ones aren't really gone forever but are out there somewhere. It would be nice to feel like they are just waiting, and that I'll see them again.

I guess I'd consider myself more agnostic than atheist - atheism is so depressing to me, and we can't truly KNOW 100% anyway if a deity or afterlife really exists or not. No evidence of the existence of something, isn't the same as proof of non-existence. So I guess at the end of the day I say I don't know...I just hope there's more to life than we can perceive, and that our consciousness continues on after this. So I guess I keep the tiniest window open for the possibility, just in case.

Also - part of me wonders if religions were influenced by alien visits to early humanity, or that humans had encounters with alien technology that was indistinguishable from magic. Or that magic really existed on early Earth, or that the line between gods and aliens can get blurry.

Last edited:
Let's be clear...you do NOT have my respect. People who say things like you've said the last few days will NEVER have my respect. Your harassment isn't welcome here, why don't you take it somewhere else.
which things?

religion is childish ... but I would choose Islam because it has sex in afterlife and that is so mature and profound

^ Not for me, I'd pick Satanism. If it's Christianity or Islam half of America and most of Western Europe will like me all for the wrong reasons, yet imagine having Satanism written anywhere on your bio: "Wins Nobel prize, religion: satanism".

If there is any desire to keep this thread open then the bickering needs to stop now.
Maybe we can all get back on topic.

yes I have a customized personal religion which is full of sex and I mean it ... some great psychologists and philosophers revealed the correlation between sexual love and death, immortality, God etc

People with any strong views can be seen somehow religious from the anthropological perspective. I guess I am religious in some respect :)

People with any strong views can be seen somehow religious from the anthropological perspective. I guess I am religious in some respect :)
Albert Einstein: "My religion is about a God who reveals himself in the structure and harmony of the Universe, made accessible by science"

Albert Einstein: "My religion is about a God who reveals himself in the structure and harmony of the Universe, made accessible by science"
... and ... "not a God preoccupied with the deeds and destinies of human beings"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back