ATA Harddrive?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zak

Reaction score
Okay so I wanna upgrade hard disk of this laptop and it says Fujitsu MHV2080AT PL ATA Device. So I suppose its Parallel ATA and not Serial ATA. How would I know if it's SATA compatible? If it is not, is it possible to change any hardware to make it compatible? Also pl tell me whats the highest capacity drive available for Parallel ATA. I m kinda looking for the maximum. (Please don't advice me to get an external one. I kinda hate external HD though it comes handy)

If it doesn't specifically say that it is an Serial ATA then i would guess that it is the older ATA style. They do make adapters so that you can connect SATA drives to PATA machines, but i couldn't say if any of those adapters were made for laptops. It is possible but the ones that i have seen were made for desktop PCs. Space would be a concern in a laptop.

Yeah this is old ATA which is called Parallel ATA (PATA). I guess what you are saying includes changing ethernet port or something? Or is it something which is connected on board or are you talking about external harddisk?. I was referring to Internal hard disk. If for external, I believe there are adapters which can make SATA work on this.

But what I want to know is about internal hard disk.

Yes there are internal adapters that connect between the SATA drive and the IDE cable and power plug, that are used internally. They are not as bulky as the ones that convert the drive to an external drive.

n32l2h.jpg

Still i don't know that i have seen a laptop one, though they may exist.

I think this is for those computers which have ATA and SATA support on motherboard because I dont think unless SATA will be compatible on ATA motherboards even if we use a cable (from what I have searched over the net). Or am I wrong? and for laptops it maybe impossible because as far as I know there is no cable involved while connecting it cos we just slide it in after putting it in the case (at-least its like that for hp)

Thanks for the info minus :)

If you have found something saying that it wouldn't be supported, then i would avoid it even if i found an adapter. I have only used one to hook up and IDE drive to a SATA machine not the other way around.

Yes, thats the info I got. That you can use an adapter cos the board will have an IDE port as well in-order to connect your old ATA drives and this port can be used to connect SATA using an adapter if all other ports are taken.

Having not used them in the SATA to PATA direction, i can only say what they claim to do.

"Convert High Capacity SATA Hard Drive and SATA Storage Device to operate with IDE Host Controller!

Attaches this Mini size Dangle board to the back of all types of Serial ATA Devices (such as Hard Disk, DVD, DVD-RAM, CD-ROM, CD-RW, MO, &.)and make them become IDE Device to work with IDE host Controller.

This Bridge board can support HDD larger than 137GB.

Features

Supports any type of SATA Device (DVD, DVD-RAM, MO, CD-ROM, CD-RW, Hard Disk, &.)
48 bits LBA can Break Capacity-Limit to Support HDD larger than 137GB
Mini Board size (75mm x 26mm), No space wasted
Compliant with Serial ATA 1.0a specifications
Supports Spread Spectrum in receiver
Compliant with ATA specifications
Compatible with Ultra ATA 133 / 100 / 66 / 33
100% hardware bridge converter to support PC, MAC and Linux environment"

Minus said:
Having not used them in the SATA to PATA direction, i can only say what they claim to do.

"Convert High Capacity SATA Hard Drive and SATA Storage Device to operate with IDE Host Controller!

Attaches this Mini size Dangle board to the back of all types of Serial ATA Devices (such as Hard Disk, DVD, DVD-RAM, CD-ROM, CD-RW, MO, &.)and make them become IDE Device to work with IDE host Controller.

I didn't actually get this part. So is it SATA to work with IDE motherboard?

If so, why does it mention "Attaches this Mini size Dangle board to the back of all types of Serial ATA Devices". <--- says Serial ATA.

I'm confused.

I take them to be saying that you attach "this Mini size Dangle board to the back of all types of Serial ATA Devices" then you attach the motherboard to the other side of the board to "make them become IDE Device to work with IDE host Controller".

The bridge board makes the sata drive into an ata drive.

Ohh. That would be cool. I will have to google to get more info. Thanks Minus.

Even if one did suit your purposes for conversion, there still isn't enough room in a laptop so it still won't fill your needs.

yep I know that but unfortunately my desktop is ATA too so maybe I can try it on that

I'm afraid you have to upgrade you laptop aka buy a new one. If your using a desktop, you can get an adapter for it but it's not really worth it, becuase SATA runs faster then IDE (older type HDD). Though I haven't tried it.

Latest posts

Back