Bucket List Anyone?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't get involved with this govt and it's my choice. My landlords are those with a reputation for greed and slum that follows them around the planet. Yes they have presence if FL as well. They own and control everything around here. It's just wrong to give my money to them and i will never rent again. I don't want any more neighbors.

Why don't you just get in your car and drive somewhere else to live? You hate the people, you hate the area, you hate everything it seems, so why do you stay there?

Why don't you just get in your car and drive somewhere else to live? You hate the people, you hate the area, you hate everything it seems, so why do you stay there?

I hate the people? I hate the area? I hate everything? OK i guess if you see it that way. I can't just drive somewhere else to live. It's not 1965 anymore. Life is extremely complicated here.

I hate the people? I hate the area? I hate everything? OK i guess if you see it that way. I can't just drive somewhere else to live. It's not 1965 anymore. Life is extremely complicated here.

Um, no, not that complicated. If you are going to be living in your car, just live somewhere else. It's simple. The only complication might be in a job, if you have one, but you could commute, you could transfer if that's an option, you could get a different job. It's only complicated if you make it complicated or if you're here with a visa/green card. Eventually, you're going to have to stop making excuses and actually do something if you want your life to not suck.

Um, no, not that complicated. If you are going to be living in your car, just live somewhere else. It's simple. The only complication might be in a job, if you have one, but you could commute, you could transfer if that's an option, you could get a different job. It's only complicated if you make it complicated or if you're here with a visa/green card. Eventually, you're going to have to stop making excuses and actually do something if you want your life to not suck.

None of the above applies. If anything, i'm actually looking into other options outside of the country, but i won't be able to have dual or triple citizenships, so one will have to go. I really don't know at this point what i'm going to do. My immediate best cheapest solution is the car. To live/exist somewhere else, minimum income requirement here is $60,000/yr which i don't have. References - from the friendly morons in my circle who don't even care to back me. I don't think so. And no guarantee i will have soundproofing and good neighbors, safety, good maintenance service. Those things are non-existent here. Anywhere, even in upscale areas.

One of my first life goals was to visit the ruins of Pompeii in Italy. I did that pretty early in my life, so check that one off.

I'd like to visit Greenland, but so far no one has wanted to join me on that expedition and I'm not too thrilled to go alone. So that one may never happen.

Other places checked off my list: Wounded Knee, Ford's Theater, San Francisco's Ferry Building, Cape Canaveral, The Canadian Parliament and others I'm not remembering at the moment.

Places I'd like to visit: The Tower of London, Mexico City, The Forbidden City, Japan... ad infinitum

But as I settle into wanting more simplicity in my life, traveling no longer sounds as engaging as it used to. It's expensive, time consuming, often not restful and sometimes has a stress of its own. So though I'd like to visit all of those places, and many more, I think my life goal has become more and more to be at peace, or at least to try to maintain a decent state of contentment. To not want too much and to not do anything that knowingly harms others.

As I said elsewhere on this forum, I believe that how you live is more important than what you accomplish. I'm starting to become more concerned with how I live rather than with what I have, what I've done or how I "rank" in the world.
I don't understand "how I live".Please explain. I don't feel I live because I do nothing, go nowhere.

None of the above applies. If anything, i'm actually looking into other options outside of the country, but i won't be able to have dual or triple citizenships, so one will have to go. I really don't know at this point what i'm going to do. My immediate best cheapest solution is the car. To live/exist somewhere else, minimum income requirement here is $60,000/yr which i don't have. References - from the friendly morons in my circle who don't even care to back me. I don't think so. And no guarantee i will have soundproofing and good neighbors, safety, good maintenance service. Those things are non-existent here. Anywhere, even in upscale areas.
Drive somewhere warm. Are you going to buy a tent and live off the land?

Drive somewhere warm. Are you going to buy a tent and live off the land?

I need to stay in the area where i am now. If i was in fl and there was land available where i could exist in peace i'd buy a tent in addition to my car. I hate to be shot through the tent like that guy in CA not long ago. I'd be worried. Also no possibility for ffl when i'm in this situation. Even in florida.

I don't have a long bucket list or anything yet but I've always wanted to visit America and do one of those food challenges where you get to eat a monster steak or something. After that, my next item on the list will have to be getting a quadruple bypass.

I think of bucket lists like I think of New Year's resolutions.
...They don't really work for me.
Any time, day or night, I make up my mind and then I set a course for a new goal or adventure.
I quit smoking years ago in the middle of the day. Just decided it was time. That's how I get things done or have fun. Just decide it and go for it.

I don't understand "how I live".Please explain. I don't feel I live because I do nothing, go nowhere.
"How I live" relates to ethics and an awareness of one's impact on the world and on others (which, for me, includes non-human animals). No clear answers exist and people will have a wide degree of attitudes towards the question itself. In my experience, a lot of people have either never been exposed to the concept or, if so, they choose to ignore it altogether. The modern world has made it difficult to maintain a consistent ethical stance on just about everything, so that might be why.

It's difficult to explain in the abstract, so I'll try to give a pretty simple and down-to-earth example. I once roamed in the land of collectibles. I had that condition that makes one save things because "they might be worth something someday." This included things such as coins, comics books, trading cards, books, posters, just about anything. While exploring forums for collectibles, I noticed that people often celebrated openly when they were able to buy something for far less than its "true value." These situations usually arose when the person selling the object had no idea that they had something valuable to begin with, such as a person running a garage sale, or another less experienced collector, etc. For example, someone sees a box of baseball cards at a garage sale and notices a rare card worth $100 in it, but the box says "10 cents each." So they buy it, go home and post something on a forum like "this guy didn't even know what he had! I got it for 10 cents! The guy didn't even blink! He sold me a $100 card for 10 cents! Yee haaa!"

This might not seem like a big deal on the surface, and for most part it's not. The person had "10 cents" on the box and the person bought it for that. Where's the problem? The problem comes in when these same people will post about "getting ripped off" by car dealerships, stores, or other businesses of which they have little knowledge. For example, they say things like: "I bought the car and only then realized that I didn't know about the limitations on the extended warranty! I lost $100! Those #%$@%#$ didn't tell me! Those $%$%#%$!" In this situation, I see someone who has no problem "ripping people off," but they don't want to get "ripped off" themselves. Given how they themselves behaved in the first situation, they shouldn't be surprised that other people do the same thing. Why shouldn't the person instead think "heh... those car guys got me good, just like I got the guy with the $100 baseball card." Essentially, if you want to live in a world where people don't "rip you off," then don't "rip off" other people. If you want to live in a world where you can "rip people off" then you should fully expect others to do the same.

For me, one aspect of "living well" involves seeing that bigger picture and taking a consistent stance on it. Do you want to live in a world where you can "rip people off?" If so, then you have little reason to complain when others do it right back to you, because they're no better than you. If you want to live in a world where you don't get "ripped off," then don't "rip off" other people. I see so many people today who want it both ways: they want to "rip off" other people, but they don't want to get "ripped off" themselves. For me, that's not "living well," that's living inconsistently. That said, I know I don't live consistently all of the time myself, either, but I try to remain aware of that and live accordingly. That's what I mean by "living well," which then relates to the question of "how I live."

I'll give a personal example, and many people have considered me crazy for this, but it actually happened. Back when I collected coins, I went into a local coin shop and saw some ancient Roman coins in the case, but they had no price tags on them. I asked the man behind the counter if I could see them, since dealers often hide price tags underneath coins. He opened the case, but he couldn't find a price tag. He thought for a bit and finally said, "you know, the boss isn't in today, so let's just say $25." I looked at the coin and thought that wasn't enough, so I said to him "I don't think that's enough." He looked at me like he saw a ghost, then looked at the coin even longer. Finally, he said "how about $50?" I said "sure" and bought the coin. Why did I do that? Because I would hope someone would do the same for me if I was in that man's position. Is that silly and idealistic? Maybe, but for me it was living consistently. For me, that's more important than getting a $50 coin for $25. Would I have acted the same way if the coin had a value of a million dollars? Thankfully, I haven't been tested in such a situation yet, and I'm unlikely to be. But I can honestly say that I don't know how I would act. In any case, I try to keep an eye on how I live, even when alone and even in a crowd.

"How I live" relates to ethics and an awareness of one's impact on the world and on others (which, for me, includes non-human animals). No clear answers exist and people will have a wide degree of attitudes towards the question itself. In my experience, a lot of people have either never been exposed to the concept or, if so, they choose to ignore it altogether. The modern world has made it difficult to maintain a consistent ethical stance on just about everything, so that might be why.

It's difficult to explain in the abstract, so I'll try to give a pretty simple and down-to-earth example. I once roamed in the land of collectibles. I had that condition that makes one save things because "they might be worth something someday." This included things such as coins, comics books, trading cards, books, posters, just about anything. While exploring forums for collectibles, I noticed that people often celebrated openly when they were able to buy something for far less than its "true value." These situations usually arose when the person selling the object had no idea that they had something valuable to begin with, such as a person running a garage sale, or another less experienced collector, etc. For example, someone sees a box of baseball cards at a garage sale and notices a rare card worth $100 in it, but the box says "10 cents each." So they buy it, go home and post something on a forum like "this guy didn't even know what he had! I got it for 10 cents! The guy didn't even blink! He sold me a $100 card for 10 cents! Yee haaa!"

This might not seem like a big deal on the surface, and for most part it's not. The person had "10 cents" on the box and the person bought it for that. Where's the problem? The problem comes in when these same people will post about "getting ripped off" by car dealerships, stores, or other businesses of which they have little knowledge. For example, they say things like: "I bought the car and only then realized that I didn't know about the limitations on the extended warranty! I lost $100! Those #%$@%#$ didn't tell me! Those $%$%#%$!" In this situation, I see someone who has no problem "ripping people off," but they don't want to get "ripped off" themselves. Given how they themselves behaved in the first situation, they shouldn't be surprised that other people do the same thing. Why shouldn't the person instead think "heh... those car guys got me good, just like I got the guy with the $100 baseball card." Essentially, if you want to live in a world where people don't "rip you off," then don't "rip off" other people. If you want to live in a world where you can "rip people off" then you should fully expect others to do the same.

For me, one aspect of "living well" involves seeing that bigger picture and taking a consistent stance on it. Do you want to live in a world where you can "rip people off?" If so, then you have little reason to complain when others do it right back to you, because they're no better than you. If you want to live in a world where you don't get "ripped off," then don't "rip off" other people. I see so many people today who want it both ways: they want to "rip off" other people, but they don't want to get "ripped off" themselves. For me, that's not "living well," that's living inconsistently. That said, I know I don't live consistently all of the time myself, either, but I try to remain aware of that and live accordingly. That's what I mean by "living well," which then relates to the question of "how I live."

I'll give a personal example, and many people have considered me crazy for this, but it actually happened. Back when I collected coins, I went into a local coin shop and saw some ancient Roman coins in the case, but they had no price tags on them. I asked the man behind the counter if I could see them, since dealers often hide price tags underneath coins. He opened the case, but he couldn't find a price tag. He thought for a bit and finally said, "you know, the boss isn't in today, so let's just say $25." I looked at the coin and thought that wasn't enough, so I said to him "I don't think that's enough." He looked at me like he saw a ghost, then looked at the coin even longer. Finally, he said "how about $50?" I said "sure" and bought the coin. Why did I do that? Because I would hope someone would do the same for me if I was in that man's position. Is that silly and idealistic? Maybe, but for me it was living consistently. For me, that's more important than getting a $50 coin for $25. Would I have acted the same way if the coin had a value of a million dollars? Thankfully, I haven't been tested in such a situation yet, and I'm unlikely to be. But I can honestly say that I don't know how I would act. In any case, I try to keep an eye on how I live, even when alone and even in a crowd.
Thank you so much for the very understandable explanation. I can say I live well; my latest example was at my veterinarian's office when they failed to charge me for a $120 blood test. I called it to their attention. I felt good about myself after I left.

There's a handful of UNESCO World Heritage Sites I'd like to go see that are sadly now permanently off limits to the public for reasons of either theft, delicacy of the the site, military war zones, or graffiti damages.

Some of these include:
Gobekli Tepe.
Uluru.
Ziggurat of Ur.
Daisenryo Kofun.
Mausoleum of the First Qin Emperor.
Lascaux Cave.
Ozkonak.
Catalhoyuk.

There's at least twice as many more but you get the idea. I'm an ancient history nerd.

Latest posts

Back