Can anyone else here honestly say that they don't have a single friend

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kxty33 said:
...online or otherwise? I can't even remember the last time I actually "hung out" with a friend. Can you...???

Yes I can say without exaggeration: I do not have a single friend in the world, nor have I ever known a friend.

What I am talking about is a lifetime of extreme loneliness. I made no friends in school, in my young adulthood and now as I approach middle age.
I have never "confided" in someone. I have never had a birthday party. I spend holidays and special days alone.
Always.
I do everything alone. Like in this picture. That's me, on my birthday this year, rollerskating.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 55
Yes me. It's out of choice, largely. I just can't be bothered with people any more, I just talk to people on Facebook that never knew me in the flesh, people from my past send me friend requests and I just ignore them, people used to call at my house but I've now stopped answering the door and they've got the message. I just think [maybe I'm wrong] that true friendship and real connection is very very rare nowadays and I don't want to use all my energy on shallow relationships. I even go to gigs alone [this can be a struggle as some of you may know]

I am incredibly lonely and it's very very painful, but something in me just wants it this way.

I can answer yes to this, I have plenty of aquaintances and people who just want to contact me when they need something but as for friends, no.

I have associates that I see now and then, people I work with, people I know through other people, but none I could call my own friend besides who I used to call my best friend, my husband, but even that faded. it is hard for me to go up to someone and just initiate a conversation since I lack such self esteem. I beat myself up so much I tell myself what wouls they want from me, i'm stupid, probably say something boring and stupid, i'm an idiot, and ruin everything before I start. my problem is I do not believe in myself, so I don't try at all. I need the other person to initiate, but I have a nervous condition so I still seem like a fool and I ruminate on that small thing. I wish someone could lock eyes with me and read my pain through my eyes and see all about me, and we could connect that way, and avoid the awkward introduction then get down to the real stuff. I am filled with complete sadness and despair. I just to find someone or a few who I could relate too who know what I am talking about. especially near me or a train so I could get to them so we could meet up and go out for coffee and make a lasting friendship and we could talk about all the dark times and bring in some light in our worlds.

yes, no friends, and that's painful to admit

all social interaction I've ever had is by me reaching out to people - and these people never invite me to do something in return so I've basically stopped asking them.

this leaves me hitting meetup.com events just to be in the presence of the others and get out of my house

harper said:
TheSkaFish said:
Solivagant said:
I have no friends to hang out with.

Hey.  I know you're not here, and it's been a long time.  But I just wanted to say I hope you're all right out there.

You're a good Joe.   :O)

Thanks.  I hope she's well. Definitely a decent person and someone who deserves better than a raw deal in life.

In response to question "Can anyone else here honestly say that they don't have a single friend"?--

Yes.

And? It's probably my own fault mixed with too much technology (people "talk" to their phones now, not other people).

I have a work friend.  But otherwise I have no true friend I can count on absolutely.

I have some Online friends.  But they're new.  We're still getting to know each other.  Or some online like to maintain that distance.  But IRL, just a lonely Panda.

I do have a woman friend; she's Laura who is my sassy daughter's full time minder. Laura is an ex- securitry officer who resigned her high profile job to come and get to know us and become a very trusted friend, especially to my daughter. In the ideal worlkd a nanny would have sufficed, but my 12 year old daughter is a firebrand, so needs a gentle but firm leadership.

In the time we three were in France last week it was great fun, and Laura is living with us, so will be helping my daughter to school at home while I work long hours at a medical centre in town.

I can honestly say that it's great to have just one loyal and trustworthy friend than nobody at all. Because we can work on that, so that our lives can only become richer and worth the effort of having good times together.

The older a person  get the more she/he could be left behind, same way as it happened with other animals . Fortunatelly we have the internet to seek and find our share as we deserve or might keep on.

I think the older someone one gets, the more vulnerable they feel and are less confident to make friends. Social media can help make new friends if online friendship has lasted, then if trust becomes good, meet up.

Some of my medical colleagues are good friends and one has a child same age as my daughter, so both children get on well together. She will visit at weekends, depending what sort of week we've had.

I have a sweet friend who lives in America I'd like to meet.

Rosie007 said:
I think the older someone one gets, the more vulnerable they feel and are less confident to make friends. Social media can help make new friends if online friendship has lasted, then if trust becomes good, meet up.

Some of my medical colleagues are good friends and one has a child same age as my daughter, so both children get on well together. She will visit at weekends, depending what sort of week we've had.

I have a sweet friend who lives in America I'd like to meet.
Sure!

Some months ago I heard an acctress confessing she's older now, she's aware young girls can grab whatever thing she might have desired but, she's also aware she can make more friends than partners to love.

I wish my daughter heard what older ppl learnt with mistakes. She's cute as any was at her age!

Attachments

• IMG_20191029_140753_371.jpg
    IMG_20191029_140753_371.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 4
I feel really misplaced in this conversation. People like me, and I make friends really easily. I'm either the entertainer or everyone's dad. Trouble is, I am in a phase of disinterest and distrust with people. Tired of being second best, the bloke in reserve, and good enough to be entertaining or reliable, but not enough to be cared about.

So, from being very active on the social scene, I am down to just two friends, largely because they wouldn't go away. An alcoholic and one with autism. We have the same conversation on every occasion we meet.

Within the local community, I get asked a lot to join things, help out, etc. The local church is forever pressing, despite me being openly atheist. But, it reinforces the feeling of "Good old Col will sort everything."

One thing I can say for sure, is that I don't have anyone who asks how I am, and wants to listen, least not to an honest answer.

Am I friendless, no, I have my dog. We walk, I talk, she shits on things. Sometimes I do it, and blame the dog, she's supportive like that.

Ultimately, I am drawn between wanting new friends, and joining a monastery far-far away. The first option requires trust and effort, both of which I am out of. The latter option requires the buggering of chiorboys, and I think there's more chance of me actually believing in Trump being the reincarnation of God, before that happens.

Possibly best omitted, although we're all "friends" here, right?
Anyhow, these days when people do start talking "at" me, somewhere in my mind, I'm just thinking what music to play whilst I smash their skull against a wall. Maybe we should compile a top ten list.

^ Yes we are all ALL friends here. ;) I'm glad you have a dog friend. They just want attention and food. They believe you are the best human ever for giving it to them. But, enough talking about your problems. Ha! ha! Just kidding. :) But......

I have only had 5 friends in my lifetime and never at the same time. Even those five continually took advantage of all my skills. Once I stopped helping them they ghosted me. So, I've not had a friend for a long time. I do consider myself lucky though. My dad, when he was alive, was my best friend and probably the only true friend I have ever had. I always cherished that even when others made fun of me for it. I could trust him and he could trust me. I didn't have that with the few women I've had relationships with. That's probably why I couldn't move forward with them. Trust is paramount to me.

Thanks for asking. I am frustrated and stressed, and in dire need of a distraction. Although in the immediate, I'd be happy to just walk without the rain.

Latest posts

Back