Can y'all recommend me some things to watch?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnonymousMe

Reaction score
I have to explain something first, there is a gamer channel of YouTube called “Let’s Play,” I’ve been watching it since 2011/2012, it’s been my only entertainment since I discovered it and even though the content’s quality has been declining through the years, while adding half-likable members to the band, I have stayed with them the entire time.

Originally, it consisted of six dudes, one left in 2015, while his departure bothered me, he was replaced by someone I ended up liking, so it wasn't too bad.  Things started to get ugly this year when someone else left, because he got promoted, I could still watch them play, but it didn't feel the same anymore, it gave me the feeling that something was missing.  However, the worst happened recently, when my favorite member had to leave due to predatory behavior with 17-year-old girls.  I really don’t care about what happened with the girls, it only bothers me that he’s just gone, I can’t settle with the fact that I won’t see a guy I’ve been seeing for eight freaking years ever again, I was enduring the channel’s content solely due to him; it feels like if I lost someone familiar.

Due to this, my interest in the channel has completely disappeared and I have run out of entertainment, in a way, it’s as if my Netflix has disappeared.  So, that’s why I’m here asking for recommendations, I’m picky about what I like to see though, y’all can suggest anything, as long as it doesn’t have any progressive, PC or SJW bullcrap.  Pre-2015 stuff is always welcome, the bad thing about it is that I’ll be watching them alone and won’t have anyone to talk about them.  =(  I’ll be watching the Mandalorian for the moment, I like Star Wars, so I think that’s a good start, with something familiar, yet new.

So, what do y’all suggest me to watch?

I enjoy on-line movies, music, and web interaction every day a lot, so I wouldn't discourage anyone from seeking such appropriate interests.  But I also know that it's important to counter the mindless entertainment with substantive material that can help us grow our minds and build our characters in life.  We can't depend on getting this from work or school anymore either. 

I'll leave it to others to reco any game replacement sites, but let me suggest adding some YouTube Christian sermons or apologetic presentations to one's on-line viewing.  There's a whole range of topics to pursue that can be interesting, entertaining, and influential at shaping our hearts and minds - in a good way that today's society and culture doesn't foster.  I'm just sayin', if you've time and interest for something new, interesting, and worthwhile that can also be entertaining, you might give God some of your attention.

Sir Joseph, I often read about various religions, mythologies and history, sometimes science too.
Do those count as topics that could shape my heart and mind?

iu

And always good to watch:

iu

AnonymousMe, you ask a legitimate question.  I think devoting some of your attention to various religions, mythologies, and history does go beyond mindless entertainment and will indeed shape your heart and mind.  It's good of you to recognize this, but perhaps we can also agree that "how" we shape our hearts and minds is most important.

If I get my news from CNN, MSNBC, PBS, Facebook, Twitter, and certain others, I'll view the world in a manner that influences me towards liberal/progressive values. If I get my news from Fox or listen to Rush and other talk radio shows, I'll view the world in a manner that influences me towards conservative values.  Both sides of the competing belief systems are out there, and what we choose to expose ourselves to will inevitably shape our political and cultural values.

If I read and watch secular material, much of it will completely undermine the Christian faith, authority of the Bible, and traditional American values established by our founding fathers.  Thus, most people now accept the teachings of evolution, the concept of separation of church and state, equality of all religions, and relative morality.  If I study Christian apologetics material, I'll learn that religious truth is being overrun by popular, politically correct, cultural trends.  Both sides of the competing belief systems are out there, and what we choose to expose ourselves to will inevitably shape our religious and cultural values.

While political and cultural values shape our hearts and minds immensely, it is religion that serves as the foundation for our character.  It determines who we are, where we come from, what our purpose in life is, what we believe, and how we should act.  It rules our entire life, though people often neglect or reject its influence and importance.  If this is the case, we have strong reason to determine what religion is right, be it Atheism, Christianity, Islam, or whatever.

For anyone seeking religious truth, information is now more readily available than in any other time in history.  The problem of course is sifting through the 90% garbage to find the truth.  If we study the wrong material, it's easy to be deceived.

I've spent the past 24 years studying Christian apologetics, sifting through the garbage of information to determine which religion is right, why others are wrong, and whether the Bible is authoritative.  It is a most interesting, entertaining endeavor that I continue with passionately today.  Doing so has not only strengthened my faith, but it has shaped my character towards the person God created me to be.  That's a worthy goal you might consider pursuing for yourself.

Latest posts

Back