Common Thread

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 188522

Reaction score
Upon reading others' posts, I concluded that many had nightmarish childhoods. I am speculating how many of you have personality disorders as a consequence? My younger self suffered from BPD; my current doctor ( no physiatrist )thinks I have Bi polar. Funny, I ask how he came to this conclusion? his answer was, I guessed. I would like to know if you were diagnosed with a personality disorder.

Upon reading others' posts, I concluded that many had nightmarish childhoods. I am speculating how many of you have personality disorders as a consequence? My younger self suffered from BPD; my current doctor ( no physiatrist )thinks I have Bi polar. Funny, I ask how he came to this conclusion? his answer was, I guessed. I would like to know if you were diagnosed with a personality disorder.
I've never been diagnosed with a personality disorder or mental illness. I did have antidepressants for many years off and on so I must have a diagnosis of depression in someone's notes, somewhere?
I've seen a few psychologists but they never thought there was anything wrong with me. I relate to the symptom profile of borderline personality disorder but only to a limited extent.
I'm just neurotic, moody and a cry baby. I get really dark moods but I can pull it back together the next day. I have anxiety especially social anxiety but I've never bothered seeking out a diagnosis.
I used to self-medicate with alcohol and weed but I'm sober these days so I lean on spiritual life to get me through.
I do have multiple sclerosis so my brain is damaged which is bound to make things weird, plus the chronic fatigue makes mood swings worse.

I didn't have good emotional modelling as a kid/teenager so I have to constantly work on those skills.

Last edited:
I wasn't diagnosed with anything till very late teens, early twenties, it was only in my 30s I discovered and was diagnosed with Autism so a lot of my problems could've been managed/avoided/helped if I was diagnosed as a kid, I mean life would've still been hard for me and I still might have ended up with depression and anxiety but it probably wou;dn't have been as bad as it is now.

Nothing here and don't think i have it. Possibly depression comes and goes, depending on my situation. Of course triggered and aggravated by other individuals in my dangerous toxic environment. Not going to pill pushers for anything. I deal with my real problems and individuals who create problems for me.

I've never been diagnosed with a personality disorder or mental illness. I did have antidepressants for many years off and on so I must have a diagnosis of depression in someone's notes, somewhere?
I've seen a few psychologists but they never thought there was anything wrong with me. I relate to the symptom profile of borderline personality disorder but only to a limited extent.
I'm just neurotic, moody and a cry baby. I get really dark moods but I can pull it back together the next day. I have anxiety especially social anxiety but I've never bothered seeking out a diagnosis.
I used to self-medicate with alcohol and weed but I'm sober these days so I lean on spiritual life to get me through.
I do have multiple sclerosis so my brain is damaged which is bound to make things weird, plus the chronic fatigue makes mood swings worse.

I didn't have good emotional modelling as a kid/teenager so I have to constantly work on those skills.
You went through hardships and decided not to surrender. That is strength. I know how hard it is to stop self-medicating. Pat yourself on the back! Thank you for writing back.

I stabbed my physiologist in the neck before he could make an official report with a diagnosis. So, I can say that I've never been diagnosed. Oops. I forgot the previous ones I attacked lived and they did make a diagnosis. So, I guess I have to say yes.

I wasn't diagnosed with anything till very late teens, early twenties, it was only in my 30s I discovered and was diagnosed with Autism so a lot of my problems could've been managed/avoided/helped if I was diagnosed as a kid, I mean life would've still been hard for me and I still might have ended up with depression and anxiety but it probably wou;dn't have been as bad as it is now.
"Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars." Khalil Gibran
I hope today is a better day for you.

Nothing here and don't think i have it. Possibly depression comes and goes, depending on my situation. Of course triggered and aggravated by other individuals in my dangerous toxic environment. Not going to pill pushers for anything. I deal with my real problems and individuals who create problems for me.Ythat is great. Me I shrink from min.
You have a warrior's soul, and I wish I had one.

One doctor diagnosed me with a borderline personality disorder, which I do not buy into. I believe it was a rash judgement, pandering to current trends.

There has been several traumatic events during my youth, fortunately I do not recall them. I'll touch on that later.

I had massive head injuries aged 17, in which my face was literally kicked in by football fans. The perceived recovery is remarkable, barely a scar, and everything seems to work as it should. No specific trauma recalling the incident.

Stress however is extremely prominent. A Groundhog Day scenario of increasing absurdity, that has endured a few years now. It is undoubtedly robbing me of many cognitive abilities. Just the other day, my mum have me fresh limes. I looked upon them wondering how to even pick them up. My mind is so preoccupied with form numbers, dates, relevant laws, data, the where's and when's, that so much other information has been pushed aside.

I do believe that the assault that I suffered aged 17, has only really began to show it's full affects recently. Combined with the stress, my memory isn't anything like I feel it should be. There are a lot of things missing, huge swathes of life events, gone.

Throughout life, I have met many doctors, some good, and many merely average. I really don't care much for the medical profession. Too many whims and fancies, too much arrogance ahead of compassion. I think many of those within it, see us as merely test subjects to their new theories or procedures.

Likewise, I do feel too many people are also seeking the attention of whims and fancies. How fashionable is it to proclaim PTSD, or any other acronyms. People want to make themselves different, just like everyone else. It excuses us from a lot of responsibly, and self justifies negative traits.

My perspective comes from 7 years of medical training. Having accumulated hundreds of hours with The Samaritans. Working with Families Need Fathers, along with several schools, colleges, and the autistic society. My qualifications are centred around youth work and child psychology, following my mother's numerous years working with the "criminally insane".

Undoubtedly, My opinions won't bode well with everyone. Nonetheless, I foresee much diagnosis as little more than a placebo effect. A professional gives you an acronym, or similar, and away the patient goes, happy. Just as Religions used to bring comfort and guidance, we have replaced these with an unholy array of disorders.

Similarly too, can you be certain that your diagnosis isn't merely just your doctor's own predisposition. Are they most likely to label autism over narcissism, what was their most recent study, and there lies the likely answer. It is increasingly prevalent in psychology, as training is ridiculously thin. A few well written papers, a few hours often unsupervised in a unrelated position, potentially being little more than a dogs body, and hey presto, qualified.

Perhaps another nugget for consideration. How many times have you encountered that one person who has just read a book, and suddenly becomes either a convert or even an expert, in the given subject. Yet, the truly analytical mind will seek more books, different perspectives, and as much data as is available. The most venerable philosophers, psychologists, and such like, have often denounced their previous work, as their knowledge progresses.

And thus I return to the original principle of the debate. There are personality disorders which are known to bring loneliness and depression. But these symptoms are not unique to these disorders. Likewise, if a person is either lonely or depressed, it need not necessarily mean that they have a disorder. But, assuming a person is diagnosed with a disorder, how genuine and through is the information and conclusion.

Sorry for the long post.

Last edited:
I had normal childhood, normal family, normal everything and never have been diagnosed with a disorder or depression. And I feel sad and lonely. There is no real external or internal reason for it.

I had a pretty normal childhood family wise, but had rough experiences on the street. I grew up mildly normal, if somewhat aggressive or irritable at times.
That being said, I'm sure docs would diagnose me with a half dozen disorders. Because in 2022, no one is ever responsible for their actions, right?
Reminds me of Sadam singning I can change in the South Park movie lol

Last edited:
On the surface I had what seem like a normal childhood. In retrospect when I look back and dissect certain events from the past, there was actually abuse going on. I won't go into detail about this because it's not something I feel comfortable sharing. In school I was bullied by some other kids and I had teachers who were racist towards me because I was mixed race? Why? I don't know? Some of the bullying I received was in fact encouraged by the teachers. I went from a reasonably normal kid to a withdrawn one. Got sick a lot too and skipped school.

In my teens I got diagnosed with anorexia and struggled with it until my mid 20s. Took me a long, long time to get better and it was a pretty dark time in my life. Not too long ago (say about 2 or 3 years back) I got diagnosed with major depressive disorder and avoidant personality disorder. Yes, I've been to therapy all that and trying my best to cope. I'm much better now though I still struggle with suicidal thoughts from time to time.

edit: not sharing this to get attention or to fish for sympathy, or as a get out of personal responsibility card, or to be some special snowflake alright?
I struggled with these issues and they were real to me and that's all I am going to say about it.

Last edited:
I don't share things about myself for attention or sympathy, either, but I guess people can think what they like. One can only get so much sympathy or attention from a forum anyway. I share more as a sanity check or just to communicate. I'm also not looking for special treatment, but other people's thoughts or opinions are always nice to hear. What kind of special treatment can people get on a forum? In any case, if we don't share stories about ourselves, even unpleasant ones, then why are we here to begin with?

Overall, I had a normal upbringing, perhaps a little on the spoiled side. Nothing nightmarish at all. During Junior High I, became a target for bullying and I was picked on sometimes pretty mercilessly. Some unpleasant nonsense made home feel unsafe for a few years, but thankfully that passed. Gradually, enjoying people's company when I was younger turned into distrusting and suspecting them and I've never really shaken that completely. It didn't take long for me to learn that people can turn on you almost without you noticing. As I've said elsewhere, a few therapists were convinced that I experienced some trauma, but I still don't have any direct evidence for it. I sometimes have bizarre very feelings and a few of my hangups don't make a lot of sense, but none of this has slowed me down or ruined my life in any way, at least not that I'm directly aware of. I've really only shared such stories here or with my wife. No one else that I've ever known, even old best friends, ever heard anything about it. I prefer discussing these things anonymously with a bunch of other anonymous people.

So, though I've had my share of nonsense just like everyone else, I've never had any personality disorders.

I don't share things about myself for attention or sympathy, either, but I guess people can think what they like. One can only get so much sympathy or attention from a forum anyway. I share more as a sanity check or just to communicate. I'm also not looking for special treatment, but other people's thoughts or opinions are always nice to hear. What kind of special treatment can people get on a forum? In any case, if we don't share stories about ourselves, even unpleasant ones, then why are we here to begin with?
same here. I'm actually a very private person. There are things that I find it hard to share even with my partner. I guess I also had a bit of a knee jerk reaction to someone's earlier comment in the thread about not taking personal responsibility. It feels like there is still a stigma attached to mental illness, i don't know.

I was diagnosed with Borderline, but also with other diagnoses, so I have what is called a complex Borderline personality disorder, because it is not just the only single pure Borderline disorder.
I also have complex Ptsd, depression and social phobia.
Now, the docs think I may have paranoid personality disorder as well and they also mentioned schizotypal personality disorder as an idea. It isn't confirmed yet. I see myself in the paranoid pd and not in the schizotypal.

I don't know. I wished things could be easier and I could come along with people and they with me. I still suffer a lot. I feel as I am just too much, too stressful for my surrounding. I work on it, but it needs a lot of time. I wished I could just tell people, that I love them and do the best I can.

My childhood and youth was a nightmare. I suffered from several forms of abuse (and bullying) and it happened with lots of people. Family, friends, trainers, schoolmates. Next to that, I guess I think I just have a very sensitive nerve system, that makes me less resistent than others.

My childhood was far from nightmarish (thankfully) but it was challenging in many ways. First and foremost would be dealing with my dad's mental illness: he was diagnosed with Bi-polar disorder when I was 8. I have some very intense and disturbing memories of his illness over the years - I'm not going into any of that here (not right now anyway. . . maybe in the future if I feel like off-loading it), but I was always very close to my dad despite his mental struggles. Second major thing would be my parent's divorce. I believe I touched on that here in a previous post - my mum couldn't handle my dad's illness, so they divorced when I was 14. Thirdly, I was very shy and quiet as a child (still am to a point) and I was just one of those kids that didn't fit in, so I was teased terribly throughout school.

I've never been formally diagnosed with a mental illness, aside from anxiety issues in adulthood. Thanks to counselling, being aware of destructive thought patterns/learning ways to cope with anxiety and a supportive family network, I've managed to overcome the worst of those issues. I did go through a phase of somewhat typical teenage-angst - talk of suicide/ideation, that sort of stuff. Actually, come to think of it, that was the period when I developed my love of things dark and Gothic, haha. So I guess some of my baggage carried through to adulthood, but I'd say I've managed through life fairly well so far.

I do feel that mental illness is far too often stigmatized, even now. I know how my dad suffered through his illness - our entire family really as we were ostracized by neighbours when my dad got sick. While awareness of mental health and illness has improved drastically since the 1980's, we are a long way from true understanding and acceptance. It's a very important and often-misunderstood issue in our society nowadays.

Last edited:
I was diagnosed with anxiety issues at age 15.I was having anxiety issues going out after being told I am done growing.It was tough and got through this with help of a therapist

My childhood was mostly very good, a lot of fond memories, and nothing jumps out at me as beyond the pale. I was also never picked on or bullied. People would try, every now and then; but, they couldn't get a reaction out of me, so instantly gave up. hah!

Now, however... I'm terrified of most everyone, and have been and felt the target of intimidation and aggression. Wowwie, fun stuff...

People need to quit giving psychiatrists/psychologists/ and ESPECIALLY social workers so much credit. Those people are WAY more messed up than you are, most likely. They just have a knack for balancing things, if they aren't out right complete ******* pricks to begin with. (please don't take that personal if you are a social worker. Most likely the parameters of your work environment are an impossible double bind to begin with, as I'll explain further)...

Pop psychology always follows trends, like music. Right now, if in america at least, if you listen to any mainstream rap music, you'll find it all sounds EXACTLY the same, the same for a lot of pop music; and, due to the growing interconnected-ness we are all experiencing visa-vi social mediums amplified by algorithmic AI, things tend to really level out and blend together.

Personality disorders are popular right now (they are very vague, undefined, and a good fall back for a blanket diagnosis (ie: I don't know what the fresia is wrong with you)). Anxiety disorders are also popular (we live in a culture that uses fear as it's main tool of motivation, go figure). And PTSD is probably a popular diagnosis now, because again, it's a nice blanket diagnosis that covers a wide gamut. For example, if you are afraid of swimming, never been swimming before, and some one pushed you into a pool and it freaked you out, bam, easy diagnosis.

A PTSD diagnosis is probably one of the more honest diagnosis, not that it actually points to anything, usually of substantial sense-making; but, that, it's very unlikely you will go through life, with out, at some point, being extremely stressed to an unbearable level. But, the fact is, some people come out of scrapes like that just fine, dust themselves off a bit and move on, and others, get stuck, and it destroys them.

As for me, overall, I think that whole institution, on the whole, has always done more harm than good. It can and does do good, some times; but, on the whole, it's more of an authoritarian institution that seeks to control through intimidation and manipulation.

Social workers are generally over worked and not equipped with the right knowledge and training to even be able to do their job properly, not to mention the fact, the entire way their job is set up, from the start, will inevitably results in way more failure rates than success rates; it's a broken system propped up with pencil sticks, duct tape, and glue.

And, as for actualy doctors of psychology and psychiatry, it's really a hit or miss thing. They have the chance to do great good; but, also run the risk of making grave mistakes. On top of that, they might just be awful, period.

I think people place way too much faith in contemporary psychology, and it will bite them and everyone else in the ass, at some point, sooner or later. 3 to 4000 years ago, the orient already had self-analysis systems completely mastered, thought out, practiced, and written down. The western world, has only been at it for about 200 or 300 years. If you want to have a fun time, do some research into how mental patients were treated in the 1940's and 50's, that's not even more than 100 years ago, and it was absolutely barbaric. They best I can say about the current situation, is, at the least, it's unlikely some one will cut out pieces of your pre-frontal cortex; but, I've heard of lobotomies being performed, still, around 30 or so years ago.

Be wary of psychiatry and psychology. If you think you need to see a shrink, you out to have your head examined!

We are all just humans, no single one of us, is really going to have it all figured out, anymore than any of the others. We are all just dealt different hands in life, and we all have different knowledge, information, wisdom, and skill sets.

If you've been in the psychiatric system for years, and each year, things only seem to get worse, chances are, those people are the problem, not you, and there are tons of stories to back up that claim. Some times a simple problem becomes a huge one, because the so called, 'helpers,' aren't helping at all.

Psychology is not a science, precisely because you can not observe human behavior in a vacuum. The observer will always have an effect on what is being observed. And all a diagnosis really is, is just canned assessment; it's not cannon, it's not law, and it can be wrong, deviate, etc.. A red ball, may in fact be a ball and red, unless I was too far away to realize it's actually a balloon and I didn't know I was color blind. See?

Psychology is not a science. It's more of a discipline and a process. If there is any science to it at all, it's just the 3000 year old science of the vedas and bhuddism that give us methods and ways of observing our self and our environment and learning from that; and each observation is subjective and pertains to that self we do the observing with. Whether we take on a guru or a western psychologist, ultimately, it's not newtonian physics; it's just a journey, at best, and a nightmare at worst...

And when we get to the point where, what was once the domain of a psychologist, becomes the domain of a neuro/computer scientists, well, once again we'll find ourselves in a brave new world. Will the mentally ill deviant be cured of her problems by literally being neurologically programmed into a different person? The answer is yes, for the happy customer who consented; and no, for the poor sap who didn't want to go through with it, and came out a changed woman...

We, as thinking and feeling beings, for all our sensitivity, often tend to complicate things a bit, which, in reality, are quite simple. We do this, I think, because we are imperfect; and I think that's the most sacred part of our humanity, our flawed nature. And unfortunately, it's also the source of all of our suffering, quite often...

Last edited:
My childhood was mostly very good, a lot of fond memories, and nothing jumps out at me as beyond the pale. I was also never picked on or bullied. People would try, every now and then; but, they couldn't get a reaction out of me, so instantly gave up. hah!

Now, however... I'm terrified of most everyone, and have been and felt the target of intimidation and aggression. Wowwie, fun stuff...

People need to quit giving psychiatrists/psychologists/ and ESPECIALLY social workers so much credit. Those people are WAY more messed up than you are, most likely. They just have a knack for balancing things, if they aren't out right complete ******* pricks to begin with. (please don't take that personal if you are a social worker. Most likely the parameters of your work environment are an impossible double bind to begin with, as I'll explain further)...

Pop psychology always follows trends, like music. Right now, if in america at least, if you listen to any mainstream rap music, you'll find it all sounds EXACTLY the same, the same for a lot of pop music; and, due to the growing interconnected-ness we are all experiencing visa-vi social mediums amplified by algorithmic AI, things tend to really level out and blend together.

Personality disorders are popular right now (they are very vague, undefined, and a good fall back for a blanket diagnosis (ie: I don't know what the fresia is wrong with you)). Anxiety disorders are also popular (we live in a culture that uses fear as it's main tool of motivation, go figure). And PTSD is probably a popular diagnosis now, because again, it's a nice blanket diagnosis that covers a wide gamut. For example, if you are afraid of swimming, never been swimming before, and some one pushed you into a pool and it freaked you out, bam, easy diagnosis.

A PTSD diagnosis is probably one of the more honest diagnosis, not that it actually points to anything, usually of substantial sense-making; but, that, it's very unlikely you will go through life, with out, at some point, being extremely stressed to an unbearable level. But, the fact is, some people come out of scrapes like that just fine, dust themselves off a bit and move on, and others, get stuck, and it destroys them.

As for me, overall, I think that whole institution, on the whole, has always done more harm than good. It can and does do good, some times; but, on the whole, it's more of an authoritarian institution that seeks to control through intimidation and manipulation.

Social workers are generally over worked and not equipped with the right knowledge and training to even be able to do their job properly, not to mention the fact, the entire way their job is set up, from the start, will inevitably results in way more failure rates than success rates; it's a broken system propped up with pencil sticks, duct tape, and glue.

And, as for actualy doctors of psychology and psychiatry, it's really a hit or miss thing. They have the chance to do great good; but, also run the risk of making grave mistakes. On top of that, they might just be awful, period.

I think people place way too much faith in contemporary psychology, and it will bite them and everyone else in the ass, at some point, sooner or later. 3 to 4000 years ago, the orient already had self-analysis systems completely mastered, thought out, practiced, and written down. The western world, has only been at it for about 200 or 300 years. If you want to have a fun time, do some research into how mental patients were treated in the 1940's and 50's, that's not even more than 100 years ago, and it was absolutely barbaric. They best I can say about the current situation, is, at the least, it's unlikely some one will cut out pieces of your pre-frontal cortex; but, I've heard of lobotomies being performed, still, around 30 or so years ago.

Be wary of psychiatry and psychology. If you think you need to see a shrink, you out to have your head examined!

We are all just humans, no single one of us, is really going to have it all figured out, anymore than any of the others. We are all just dealt different hands in life, and we all have different knowledge, information, wisdom, and skill sets.

If you've been in the psychiatric system for years, and each year, things only seem to get worse, chances are, those people are the problem, not you, and there are tons of stories to back up that claim. Some times a simple problem becomes a huge one, because the so called, 'helpers,' aren't helping at all.

Psychology is not a science, precisely because you can not observe human behavior in a vacuum. The observer will always have an effect on what is being observed. And all a diagnosis really is, is just canned assessment; it's not cannon, it's not law, and it can be wrong, deviate, etc.. A red ball, may in fact be a ball and red, unless I was too far away to realize it's actually a balloon and I didn't know I was color blind. See?

Psychology is not a science. It's more of a discipline and a process. If there is any science to it at all, it's just the 3000 year old science of the vedas and bhuddism that give us methods and ways of observing our self and our environment and learning from that; and each observation is subjective and pertains to that self we do the observing with. Whether we take on a guru or a western psychologist, ultimately, it's not newtonian physics; it's just a journey, at best, and a nightmare at worst...

And when we get to the point where, what was once the domain of a psychologist, becomes the domain of a neuro/computer scientists, well, once again we'll find ourselves in a brave new world. Will the mentally ill deviant be cured of her problems by literally being neurologically programmed into a different person? The answer is yes, for the happy customer who consented; and no, for the poor sap who didn't want to go through with it, and came out a changed woman...

We, as thinking and feeling beings, for all our sensitivity, often tend to complicate things a bit, which, in reality, are quite simple. We do this, I think, because we are imperfect; and I think that's the most sacred part of our humanity, our flawed nature. And unfortunately, it's also the source of all of our suffering, quite often...
excellent post!

Latest posts

Back