Data Science (for the nerds here)

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mickey

Reaction score
I really enjoyed Runestone Interactive's _Problem-Solving With Algorithms and Data Structures_. It was a bit of a departure from all the bulky GUI stuff in the introductory Python book on that website. Someone also told me about programming languages you normally don't see discussed by American programmers, such as Wolfram and caml, which are not used to write bloated graphics code but rather to get serious work done when heavy-duty calculation and data manipulation is required. I decided some time ago that, if I'm ever gonna do anything in programming, that's the area I want to do it in.

Eventually I started doing remedial math on Khan Academy and enjoyed it. Then Coursera notified me of a nine-course program in Data Science that costs a little bit of money but not too much for me to be able to afford the first course. Someone suggested that, before I pay for the course, I try learning statistics to see whether I enjoy it. I began the Probability and Statistics module on Khan and so far I'm having a blast with it. Color me weird, but p&s is fun! So I've registered for the Data Science course on Coursera and intend to enjoy the crap out of it. Hopefully the later courses in that program won't prove to be too expensive.

At the end of the program a student is supposed to end up with a data science portfolio on Github and his own hard drive and some contacts in the field. I'm not sure how much practical use that would be, but it would certainly be nice to be able to do something well when I like the idea of doing it.

Thank you for reading.

homer.gif

mickey said:
And is that supposed to mean that you think I'm stupid?

o_O No, but not a lot of people think statistics is fun. That's probably what it is.

mickey said:
I really enjoyed Runestone Interactive's _Problem-Solving With Algorithms and Data Structures_. It was a bit of a departure from all the bulky GUI stuff in the introductory Python book on that website. Someone also told me about programming languages you normally don't see discussed by American programmers, such as Wolfram and caml, which are not used to write bloated graphics code but rather to get serious work done when heavy-duty calculation and data manipulation is required. I decided some time ago that, if I'm ever gonna do anything in programming, that's the area I want to do it in.

Eventually I started doing remedial math on Khan Academy and enjoyed it. Then Coursera notified me of a nine-course program in Data Science that costs a little bit of money but not too much for me to be able to afford the first course. Someone suggested that, before I pay for the course, I try learning statistics to see whether I enjoy it. I began the Probability and Statistics module on Khan and so far I'm having a blast with it. Color me weird, but p&s is fun! So I've registered for the Data Science course on Coursera and intend to enjoy the crap out of it. Hopefully the later courses in that program won't prove to be too expensive.

At the end of the program a student is supposed to end up with a data science portfolio on Github and his own hard drive and some contacts in the field. I'm not sure how much practical use that would be, but it would certainly be nice to be able to do something well when I like the idea of doing it.

Thank you for reading.

I love statistics at school, my favourite subject !